brake upgrade...?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
bfr1992t;898859 said:
The TT calipers are extremely heavy and the surface area of the pistons is too much for our master cylinder. Go with one of the 4 pot Wilwood kits or 6 pot for for even less surface area.

What the crap are you talking about? Proof. I demand it. Consider yourself called out...

I await your answer anxiously...

If you don't know, honestly, then keep your mouths shut, guys. Ugh.

The Doc

JZA70 twinpower
Aug 5, 2005
Netherlands
DonS1mpson;995180 said:
Can anybody clarify if the braking system from a GTS-T will a supra with the night pager kit? They might not "look" sexy as those off a GTR, but from my own experience they are pretty damn good with a decent set of discs and pads and are dirt cheap comparison to the GTR system.
Yeah, they fit just like the GTR33 or 300ZX Z32 calipers, in fact I have them right here, a set of R32/R33 GTS-t's, waiting to be fitted on my JZA70, after the paint has fully dried. I also have the GTR33 "Brembo" front calipers here and the 300ZX, to compare.
As you can see they are a bit smoother than the 300ZX ones, you might have encountered.

I added two pictures of the centering ring (notice the edge) and the 350Z "Brembo" rotor.

Oh yes Shaeff a.o., background info on these calipers could be found here:
http://www.timeattack.com.au/forum/...ghlight=&sid=de1b1c051bcc922576dc5f944677cdd0

Last edited:

The Doc

JZA70 twinpower
Aug 5, 2005
Netherlands
A friend of mine (a professional Harley customizer) made them for me.
If you want a set, I can ask him to make some more and pm you the details after I talked to him (tomorrow probably, as it is almost midnight overhere)

zigspeed10

Apr 7, 2007
ohio
to the op. unless your going to track your car a brake upgrade is just for aesthetics. There are alot of good pads and brake fluid out there that make our stock brakes more than good enough for most of us.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_brakesystems_upgradeselections.shtml

The short notes I got from reading:
-Brakes don't stop the car tires do
-Our stock brakes are strong enough to lock up our tires
-When changing calipers you change piston diameters which changes your front to rear brake balance
-Bigger pads and rotors will handle more heat and usually will give better pedal feel/modulation

In my opinion unless your going to track the car invest in good tires, pads, and brake fluid. I run powerslot rotors, porterfield rs4 pads, valvoline synthetic fluid, and falken rt615 tires. I have yet to experience brake fade while street driving.

The Doc

JZA70 twinpower
Aug 5, 2005
Netherlands
zigspeed10;996580 said:
In my opinion unless your going to track the car invest in good tires, pads, and brake fluid. I run powerslot rotors, porterfield rs4 pads, valvoline synthetic fluid, and falken rt615 tires. I have yet to experience brake fade while street driving.
Sure, I did however experience fading last year with the stock brakes while tracing an Audi RS6 on the Autobahn in Germany, with speeds between 180-210 km/h over more than half an hour and having to brake (hard) every now and then for cars changing lanes.
Man, I can tell you, it scared the crap out of me, going around 200 km/h, seeing the car in front of me brake and all I can do is change lane quick, because the brakes feel slick as ice and the car in front comes closer VERY fast.
(Setup: new Toyo Proxes T1-R tires, standard rotors, brakes and brake fluid, green stuff pads).

But, I agree it most probably was the brake fluid, although I'll never know.
The Night Pager kit has at least one advantage to the stock brakes, leaving good tires, brake fluid and so on to be equal; they use a bigger and wider rotor so heat dissipation should be far better :icon_wink

Last edited:

zigspeed10

Apr 7, 2007
ohio
that sounds like alot of fun but scary too. My closest experience to that would be me being chaced by an acura nsx on some back roads. He stayed with me the whole time, it was such an adrenaline rush.

I agree, the upgraded brake kits are better then the stock brakes could ever be, but if your running good pads and fluid and still running hard enough to get brake fade then yes its time to upgrade.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
zigspeed10;996580 said:
The short notes I got from reading:
-Brakes don't stop the car tires do
-Our stock brakes are strong enough to lock up our tires
-When changing calipers you change piston diameters which changes your front to rear brake balance
-Bigger pads and rotors will handle more heat and usually will give better pedal feel/modulation

Very good info and advice... just one thing to add. If you have ABS, F/R brake balance doesn't matter, the ABS system handles all that. If you don't have ABS, ARZ has a thing that will fix the problem.

The Doc

JZA70 twinpower
Aug 5, 2005
Netherlands
Guys, I am stuck and could use some sound tech input.
I looked at the sizes of the different rear rotors for a Night Pager rear "upgrade" and came up with this:
MKIV tt rears: 325 x 15,24 mm
MKIII rears : 292 x 17,8 mm
R32/33 rears : 297 x 18 mm
(R33 / 34 GTR with Brembos rears: 300 × 22 mm)
So, I was wondering:
1.Wouldn't the stock MKIII rear rotors be sufficient with the 2-pot Nissan 300ZX/R32/33 rear caliper?
2. Would the centre of the Skyline R32/33 GTSt (or even GTR) rear rotor fit over the axle hub of the MKIII?

Can some of you tech wizzes please help me out?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
The Doc;1002592 said:
Guys, I am stuck and could use some sound tech input.
I looked at the sizes of the different rear rotors for a Night Pager rear "upgrade" and came up with this:
MKIV tt rears: 325 x 15,24 mm
MKIII rears : 292 x 17,8 mm
R32/33 rears : 297 x 18 mm
(R33 / 34 GTR with Brembos rears: 300 × 22 mm)
So, I was wondering:
1.Wouldn't the stock MKIII rear rotors be sufficient with the 2-pot Nissan 300ZX/R32/33 rear caliper?
2. Would the centre of the Skyline R32/33 GTSt (or even GTR) rear rotor fit over the axle hub of the MKIII?

Can some of you tech wizzes please help me out?

Why mess around with the knightpager kit for the rear when adapting the mk4 rear brakes will cost you the price of the calipers and rotors, and another $100 for machining. If you have access to a machine shop, even better - the parts are extremely easy to make.

To answer your original question, I really don't see any reason why the mk3 rear rotors wouldn't work with the skyline calipers. With that said, i have no idea how the e-brake is configured on the skyline, so I cannot comment on whether or not the rotors would fit.

vbpgimage.php

The Doc

JZA70 twinpower
Aug 5, 2005
Netherlands
Thanks Adam, looks very clean!
The MKIV calipers are definately an options.
Since I already have the NP conversion on the front, using the "easier" 350Z Brembo rotors, I like to find out, if there is a similar rotor route for the rear rotor, with only a centric ring f.i.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
The mk4 rear rotor requires a centering ring- the mk3 hub od is 60.1 mm and the rotor bore id is 62.1 mm. E-brake works perfectly.