BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
I had one day of driving the car with few problems. ONE. And it was fantastic! All my hard work finally paying off, and my dream realized.

Then something new happened. I start the car and a HUGE cloud of white smoke billows out from the tail pipe! And now the engine won't idle, and generally doesn't feel right. Worse than before.

wwm82d.jpg

256dxz7.jpg

I didn't bother running another compression test. I decided the cylinder head just has too many issues, and I want to replace it.

So I found a replacement cylinder head (more on that later) and got to work pulling the old head. It's a lot of work to drain the oil, coolant, pull radiator, intake manifold, and everything else attached to the head!

10r38dd.jpg

Spark plugs. You can see the really cruddy plug with lots of oil fouling and water corrosion is cylinder #5, the problem cylinder.

ix9zrm.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Everything removed, undoing head bolts.

2v9vodl.jpg

Cylinder head off! Didn't even put up a fight.

2zdy3wl.jpg

Close ups of the cylinders. Bores don't show much of the hone marks, but they are still there. Cyl #4 had a score mark, but I couldn't feel it with my finger. Hopefully it's not an issue.

1425tmr.jpg

33jofth.jpg

vpgqop.jpg

No signs of a blown head gasket so far as I can tell, but that doesn't mean anything. I may just not know what to look for.

Valves look dirty, but nothing is obviously wrong

binzh1.jpg

EXCEPT THE MASSIVE GAPING HOLE

2zrgbo1.jpg

Well, there's my problem. If I only had one that is.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I got to where you were and threw in the towel. Had a built short block shipped for 2400 and head tested/rebuilt. My thinking was, when you are that deep in... Start fresh with a full rebuild.

Wasn't cheap, but I'm happy.

IchibanEye

Supramania Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
The Honeycomb Hideout
BosoMKII;237334 said:
Thats interesting...I thought the cressys where front sump? But yeah, thanks for the advice. If the 2M pan didn't fit, I was going to use a 7M pan, oil pump, and pickup from a Cressida. Dunno yet really. Just going to have to take stuff apart and see what works.

Thanks for all the compliments guys! This is a really fun project so far.

And this just in!! My wheels arrived today!! My brother just sent photos ( I am at work )

p2020170_1.jpg

The specs are 15x8 zero offset. As soon as I do a test fit with tires I will know how much I can lower it. Going to go for a "nice" drop. Not too slammed, but defininatly low.

That is a good looking wheel.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Grandavi;2020135 said:
I got to where you were and threw in the towel. Had a built short block shipped for 2400 and head tested/rebuilt. My thinking was, when you are that deep in... Start fresh with a full rebuild.

Wasn't cheap, but I'm happy.

I wish I had that kind of cash to spare! That would be the best route to go, but I don't think worth while for a non-turbo 7M

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Earlier I alluded to finding a replacement cylinder head.

I was at Performance Options in Oakland the other week and asked what was under the tarp in the back corner:

24zc4fo.jpg

Performance Options had a customer bring in a Supra with a recently rebuilt engine that had slight rod knock. Instead of repairing the engine, they just swapped a 1JZ in. The fresh 7M just sat there until I came along.

2a6nkfm.jpg
]

I struck a deal with the shop and pulled the cylinder head so I could just swap onto my existing block without having to pull the whole engine or have to rebuild the current cylinder head. Easy fix!

3481wgp.jpg

I also got ALL the accessories to the engine. Intake manifold, sensors, ECU and harness, 3 inch downpipe, rebuilt turbo. Everything.

Oh, did I mention this is a 7M-GTE?

wb55wk.jpg

2qltw1x.jpg

10fypu8.jpg

2aipva0.jpg

:tu:

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
The intercooler pictured earlier was me being impulsive. First, it's one of those cheap eBay intercoolers. It weighs a ton and is painted. I'd be surprised if it's actually aluminum. Second, it doesn't fit. Too big for the space I've got to work with.

So I searched around and found a stock Mazdaspeed MX-5 intercooler for $45. It's small at 8x8x3, but will likely cool better than the bigger, lower quality flea bay unit.

35i9569.jpg

Progress has been slow as I've been busy, but mostly smooth. Then disaster struck! I dropped a bolt, a spring, then another bolt down into the timing cover. :evil:

5nu0ck.jpg

In order to remove, the crank pulley bolt needs to come off. This is no easy task. I need to figure a way to keep the engine from turning in order to break the massive 195 lbs-ft of torque bolt.

Other progress has been going well. I forgot that the 7M-GE block doesn't have oil fittings pre-drilled. So I ordered an oil line kit from Drift Motion specifically designed for this conversion.

Test fitted the turbo. Not sure the down pipe will clear. Harness in.

11v076f.jpg

bbsid.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Making a little progress here and there. Right now I am trying to learn all the new components and layout, and working to figure a few things out.

33oimph.jpg

One issue is that the EGR valve now interferes with the throttle pedal arm as it exits the firewall. So I either lose the EGR (bad for cylinder temps and emissions) or convert to throttle cable. I'm leaning towards converting to throttle cable, as even without the EGR the turbo throttle body is in an inconvenient place and makes rigging linkages difficult. Not sure exactly how I'll manage the conversion.

Another issue is how fast I'm running out of space in the engine bay. The intake tube puts the air flow meter right up against the sheet metal with no room for an air filter. I don't know if shortening/changing the air intake tube geometry will upset AFM readings.

anfzpl.jpg

Intercooler piping will actually be pretty straight forward. The factory intake pipe is in a good location. The turbo to intercooler pipe needs to be made.

The downpipe also doesn't clear the steering arm. Looks like that will be an easy fix for the shop though.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The deciding factor for the EGR delete for me was its location and the fact it's unmonitored. The emissions aren't a concern where I live due to our not having to do emission tests.

As for decreased heat in the exhaust, im not sure that is enough of a factor to really consider for a 7M really. I'm not sure that 100 degrees at WOT would be noticeable realistically.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thanks for the advice!

Know anything about the AFM placement? How critical is the accordion hose to accurate readings?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not sure what you mean. The AFM shouldn't care about anything behind it.
The accordian hose just has to be between the AFM and the turbo. (As long as it's not kinked or cracked)
Not many options in that area though.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thanks for the reply.

What I mean to ask is, if I were to shorten the accordion hose or make a custom air intake tube, will doing so upset the AFM readings?

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Not much to report lately. Been super busy with life and not working on the car much, save for here and there.

Plumed oil lines and oil cooler, and made intercooler pipes. I went to Performance Options and scrounged in their spare parts area and made all my pipes with couplers for $60.

My car is put together with so much hardware store stuff and random parts it's starting to look like a pirate ship. Whatever, so long as it works properly.

ic0ck4.jpg

30m367m.jpg

Tried to start the car yesterday, but it just catches briefly then dies. Will need to wire up the check engine light to see what codes come up, and go from there.

Jul 14, 2014
Sussex County
This thread is awesome!!! I spent most of class reading it and just finished so now that you have the turbo and everything what kind of power are you looking to make?

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thanks!

First goal is for the engine to run like stock, and be reliable as a factory car.

After that, 300 wheel horsepower is totally attainable.

That is a long way off however....

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
From my supra journey... The most fun is a ct26 upgrade running 300-350 at the wheels. Quick pulls and a lot of "yeehaw!".
Huge power usually trades some of the fun with later more powerful pulls, but the fun factor is a bit less because you gotta be a lot better controlled. More focus on safety...

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Grandavi,

No experience with the 7M making that kind of power, but I suspect I will agree with you 100%.

I drove a 400whp, 1st gen RX-7 once, and it was just like you say. Big lag, then the power would just explode and spin the wheels.

Certainly entertaining, but sketch. Not useful unless you're pointed totally straight either.

For a street car, readily accessible torque is key.

And hella fun