BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My 7M kicks ass but it doesn't truly hit until 4200 rpm... I miss the 3200 rpm pull... But it's nice to have the pull go all the way to redline without the falloff that the ct26 suffers from due to the small housing. It's very well suited to the 7m though considering the lower RPM. The torque on my 57 trim at the wheels was 348 with 300 HP.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Been too busy to work on the car much lately. Also, stumped as to why it won't start. Got the engine to run for a few seconds today, but it barely did. Kinda acts like a huge air leak, or way too much fuel. Not sure.

In positive progress news, got an old boost gauge off ebay for cheap. I like the plain styling of it. Even better, it fit perfectly into the open space in the center console.

opz6zs.jpg

2u8v7rk.jpg

Also got the altitude correction sensor. Don't want to loose power driving up to Yosemite!

6sbeyq.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thank you!

Check engine light revealed two codes: 41 and 51

51 was the idle speed control valve. I knew that was a problem, as several of the wires were broken. I went to the junk yard today and there just happened to be a Supra there. Easy to clip the connector off and solder the replacement in. Code gone.

41 is the throttle position sensor. After checking a few values with my multimeter, it I think the TPS is cactus. Bought a new one off ebay and now just have to wait for it to arrive.

Hopefully that does the trick!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Fixed all the error codes, still no start.

Well, the car starts but dies immediately. Does not respond to throttle, won't start with the throttle open.

I've got fuel, 40psi at the rail. Backfires through the intake, not sure what causes that.

I've got spark, verified with a test light. Only verified on one plug wire though, so maybe need to check them all.

Verified mechanical ignition timing. Cyl. #1 at TDC. Triple checked by putting an extension bar down the spark plug hole: either direction I move the crank, the bar falls.

Verified the cam gears are on the cams correctly: pin in the middle guide hole on the gears.

Verified the Crank Position Sensor is aligned correctly.

av4ysi.jpg

2117094.jpg

2z5vd40.jpg

34gx4py.jpg

Replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, and calibrated with my multimeter according to the factory service manual. Pulled all the fuel injectors and tested that they click by using a 9V battery, and replaced all the grommets and o-rings. Tested resistance of the ignition coils. Got 1.2 - 1.4 ohms for each. That's higher than factory spec, but I tested all 5 of my spare coils and got the exact same readings, so maybe my meter is goofy? Tested compression, got right around 160psi for each cylinder.

I'm stumped!

Advice?

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
did you check the wires that on into the clip on the cps side and also on the harness side? IF they are just crispy or lose just a bit it wont start. It happen to me sounded like it was going to start then just nothing and it was one of the 4 wires from the cps.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
kakanator;2030212 said:
did you check the wires that on into the clip on the cps side and also on the harness side? IF they are just crispy or lose just a bit it wont start. It happen to me sounded like it was going to start then just nothing and it was one of the 4 wires from the cps.

The wires at the CPS have torn insulators around the clip. The whole harness is a bit dodgy, actually. Has been repaired in several spots. Thinking of replacing the harness for a better one I recently acquired. Thanks for the advice!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
supraguy@aol;2030312 said:
Spray the filter with starting fluid.
If it starts, it's probably the ecu signal to the fuel pump relay.

I don't have the harness/ECU wired like stock. The fuel pump runs right off the battery, switched on by a relay tied to accessory power.

Does the ECU need to have a fuel pump signal from somewhere?

Thanks for the advice

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
I went back and tested all the cylinders for spark, and found that #5 was the only one sparking!

Looked like some dodgy wiring repairs at the coilpacks, so decided to just replace the whole harness. Too many repairs everywhere. The spare I pulled from a junkyard actually looks pretty good, just needed a few repairs of its own.

Harvesting clips from the old harness, I made a few repairs and installed.

No change! Still the only cylinder getting spark is #5! What gives?

Swapped ignitors, swapped ECUs, nothing.

Still no check codes.

Retested the CPS and I get values all over the place. Currently searching for a replacement.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
SHE RUNS!

Turns out it was the CPS. Got a replacement from someone on the forum and the car fired up straight away. Easy.

Bad news is, I've got a loud tapping noise coming from the cylinder head. Sounds really bad. I checked over the valves, and the shims seem to be in spec.

[video=youtube_share;23n7zP_np6g]http://youtu.be/23n7zP_np6g[/video]

Any ideas what it is?

Here's a few shots of the car after parking it on the street. Just because I like looking at the car.

2enwd3a.jpg

2envzwp.jpg

2u78tn5.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
black ice mike;2032039 said:
YES!! Finally she runs! Did you ever decide on the wheels?

Almost runs, need to fix this tapping noise. Hopefully this weekend I get some time.

I found a great set of wheels, well beyond my price range of course. I'll stick with what I've got for a while.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Fixed the ticking noise.

One of the valves was missing a shim. Couldn't find it in the cylinder head, so who ever "rebuilt" this head forgot to put it in!

2wf2xvr.jpg

I scrutinized the cam lobe and bucket for damage, and nothing was obvious to the eye. So I pulled a shim out of the old cylinder head, and reassembled.

Purring like a kitten!

Set timing and went for a drive.

Drives awful. Major hesitation and bucking at light/part throttle. Once you get the thing rolling and give it more gas, seems to run just fine. Hopefully just a TPS adjustment issue.

The greatest part was feeling the turbo spool and hearing the BOV!

I've worked so hard, and dealt with so many frustrations to get here. Just a quick trip around the block is enough to lift my spirits a feel like celebrating.

So I opened some bubbles to mark the occasion!

2jc5uom.jpg

Still so much to do, but I'm winning the battle. Bit by bit.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
New parts!

HKS air filter

Brand new OEM throttle position sensor, hoping this cures the severe lurching and hesitation the car has at part throttle

And a new boost gauge. A few intake backfires ruined the old gauge. The needle is upside down!

w6ppg7.jpg

The rain ought to clear this weekend so I can get back to work.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
New turbo outlet installed. The difference between the stock and aftermarket is pretty huge.

106x6hy.jpg

2uqehc0.jpg

keyzwx.jpg

New TPS in. All the others I've been trying to get work, I was having a really hard time adjusting to proper resistance specs. The new one was super easy to set. Hopefully that means my drivability issues were in fact the TPS.

2yod735.jpg

And finally, an air filter. I know the foam type filter the least well, but I just don't have room for a long cotton cone type without making a custom intake. In order to fit in the space, I made my own mounting surface from a piece of tin sheet.

2ikv4hf.jpg

md2fr4.jpg

p.s. that clear tube you see is my $6 hardware store plumbing parts solution to attaching the BOV. Once the car drives without issues, it goes back to Performance Options to get the BOV welded to the intake pipe just before the 3000 pipe so I can ditch all that junk.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Ladies and Gentlemen, this saga has reached another milestone!

The turbo conversion engine ran today, and I got to drive the car!

I fixed the water leak. I fixed the oil leak. The new throttle position sensor did the trick, and the engine ran smoothly.

Here is the engine bay as it is now:

5zqy8.jpg

Everything works as it should, even if a few things are pretty ugly. The fun part about being at this stage of the build is, I now have a driver and I can finish and polish stuff as I go. Do things like make the PVC system look nice with an oil catch can, and ditch the crimp connectors and do a proper soldering job on the wiring and loom it all up.

Mostly though, I am just really happy all the hard work paid off and I finally drove my very own turbocharged car!

[video=youtube_share;XrUH-Ktaspk]http://youtu.be/XrUH-Ktaspk[/video]

So my wife and I jumped in and went for a drive around town, and to pick up a christmas tree

2rzzb13.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone!

kcnf52.jpg

p.s. all the ornaments in the tree are all Hot Wheels. Among them are a 1st gen RX-7, a Toyota 2000GT, and an RA21 Celica.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
The car has had a bad vibration approaching 40mph that kept me from doing anything but scooting around town at low speeds. My prime suspect was the center support bearing. The old one was completely rotten.

But you can't just run out and buy a replacement for this car. So I started looking for other cars that might be compatible. I bought the part a few months ago, so can't remember exactly what model, but I found a center support for an old Cressida that also had an "M" six engine.

Sure enough, the new part fit perfect. However, the mount tabs were too long for the propeller shaft tunnel. Some trimming and grinding took care of that.

fe2osw.jpg

SO MUCH SMOOTHER! Wow! Pretty obvious why the new part made such a huge improvement. Also took the car up to 70mph, car runs along just fine. 5th gear seems noisy. Hope the transmission is good.

I can actually give the engine full throttle now! The car is fast. Smokes the tires a little too easy. Things got rough in the higher revs and felt like the engine was down on power. Wondering if the fuel pump is keeping up. I have a Bosch 44 to replace, but have to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator first.

Pretty happy with today's progress. Still so much to do, but I'm getting there.