BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Won some super cool old gauges on FleaBay. Not sure how old they are, 80's? What do you guess?

flerrn.jpg

35iazj5.jpg

14tnhxd.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Mounted gauges where the ashtray goes. My car is missing the ashtray, and I can't find a replacement. Better use of the space I reckon.

bg724y.jpg

2qv5p3d.jpg

The sensors are all standard threads, so I need to adapt them to the British Standard Threads that Toyota used back then.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
The body work continues. I worked on this spot on the right of the trunk. When I got the car it was completely bowed upwards, like someone had backed over a tall rock. Didn't really show from outside the car, but inside it made the tool bucket not fit. So I beat the pannel back into roughly the right shape, and started treating the rust.

anc1tg.jpg

vxjcoz.jpg

2mxws4.jpg

While Franny continued to work on the big problem area at the left rear corner. He's a perfectionist, and spent all day making sure this repair will last the life of the car. We ended the day with a fresh application of body filler to be sanded and shaped next session.

2yyo6ep.jpg

351tun8.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Here is my solution to all my fuel problems:

28jjy4l.jpg

rstwtx.jpg

Took the gas tank to Performance Options in Oakland, and had them weld a steel bung to the bottom. Now my under-car Bosch fuel pump is gravity fed fuel and we're done. Should have just done this in the first place! So easy.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
The sharp-eared among you will hear an ugly misfire and the big exhaust leak.

That misfire is caused by zero compression in cylinder #5.

SO LAME

:eek:wned::: hommer ::::hang::

Anyone know how to unstick a valve?

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thanks for the suggestion. I've read on other forums (mostly old car forums, like domestic stuff where it's not uncommon to have some engine that's been sitting for years like mine did) Sea Foam, Marvel Mistery Oil, and the rope in the cylinder trick.

What I'm thinking right now is:

Remove intake and exhaust manifolds, spray Marvel Mistery Oil through a spray bottle onto the valves and stems, and let that sit a while. More MMO into the crankcase and gas tank, go for a drive.

If that doesn't work, then the rope trick.

After that, I reckon I've got to pull the cylinder head and hit things with a really big hammer. And fire. And anger.

andrew_mx83

Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
Subaru upper engine cleaner. Use as per directions. Has unstuck a valve for me in the past, backed up by compression tests.
Try not to breathe in the smoke.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Zero compression happens if a piston has massive hole, totally smashed rings, a valve is burnt beyond recognition, or a valve is simply stuck open.

Given that the motor sat for 8 years, I was betting that a valve had frozen open.

Definitely didn't want to pull the head, so I hoped that a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil might have some magic in it for the old lump.

So I pulled the intake manifold and exhaust manifold and hosed the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil (which many people say is just ATF)

24uyvrt.jpg

2m307pw.jpg

I think it worked. I let that all sit a few days, re-assembled and went for a drive.

Still lots of smoke, engine seemed to be shaking still. But I got out onto the road and the car drove better, smoother.

I went to the Naval base on Alameda island and used Sea Foam in the engine.

After that, everything seemed to run really well

I got to drive around for 30 mins and all was well. Oil pressure good, coolant temps steady.

The car feels really fast too! Spins the tires through first gear! Makes a great noise.

Except for the exhaust leak, and the exhaust pipe banging around on everything. Major bummer. Needs to go back to the shop to get fixed.

Oh well. One thing at a time.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Here's a quick video from my last drive. You can hear how much better the engine is running. Still has an exhaust leak. Need to have the shop add a flex joint to fix that.

Anyway, the car is a hoot to drive. Brakes need work, as right now the car accelerates faster than it stops! :eek3dance

[video=youtube_share;4mBd8SqxUtQ]http://youtu.be/4mBd8SqxUtQ[/video]

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Got to spend some time with the car today. A few big projects going all at once.

1. brakes. Have had issues with the rears not releasing pressure, and the one caliper in the front working much better than the other. Which meant that the car had no brakes in the rear and and would dive hard to the right in the front. Not fun. All I can do is order new brake hoses and hope that was the problem. Updates on that later.

2. Shocks. Bought some Ultima brand shocks off ebay for $80. Cheap-o shocks, but better than nothing. Super easy to install on these old cars. Just unbolt and drop out! In with the new. One hour total. Rear doesn't sag anymore, but now the fronts are way high. Gonna have to cut springs soon.

jjtwls.jpg

dxcqa8.jpg

3. Interior. Haven't had front carpets in for a long time. Rear carpets were there but gross. Pulled everything out to install new carpets. Phase one is cleaning.

huj8k6.jpg

Eww

1498efa.jpg

30ldr9k.jpg

2vs0ks4.jpg

This has been here almost 35 years!

16m5aqa.jpg

Also hammered out the bumper enough to re-fit. Seeing the rear of the car almost straight makes me very happy!

17qwsy.jpg

n4z2gg.jpg

And one more shot just because I like looking at the old thing

1055w9i.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Finished the carpet today. Like I do everything, I guessed once and cut 50 times. That's not a good method. I should have covered the front first, because I ran out of carpet after covering the rear.

I'll have to order more carpet to do the front properly. But for now, the car is majorly improved. I won't miss that ugly floor one bit.

Sorry about the photos. Strong light all day.

2mwuj9k.jpg

1444msn.jpg

2lavh1l.jpg

egtpuc.jpg

2qitq9z.jpg

2rzt3k8.jpg

Now if only I could get my wife to finish the shift boot!!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Odd problem when driving for a bit, a wobble or shake of some kind would show up. Because the wobble wasn't there when cold, I thought it might be the rear drums sticking. So I bought new wheel cylinders and got to work.

Trouble from the outset. Turns out the wheels pushed the drum retainer screw back, warping the drum and hub. Screw was jammed.

So jammed, that my stripped screw extractor snapped off in the head of the screw!

xm1gn4.jpg

I don't have any photos after this. I was pissed off and just got to work. Had to grind out the screw with a disk grinder. Hub slightly bent, but was hoping it wouldn't effect things and I could still drive.

Got it all back together at last ( I HATE drum brakes! Why so complicated?! )

And all seemed pretty good. Had a great drive, wobble and shake free. As a bonus, brakes feel much better.

Then disaster!

dqq03r.jpg

The nylon oil pressure gauge tube disintegrated at the engine block under the manifold. Oil everywhere!

Parked the car on some street, walked home and got the stock oil pressure switch to get the car home.

Next project; replace nylon tube and replace center support bearing.

Anyone know if the Corona Mark II drive shaft carrier bearing has the same part number as other, more common cars?

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Was fussing with some wires and the coolant temp sensor for the ECU just fell out. $15 replacement. Can't tell immediately if the car runs differently with the new part. Engine still isn't running just right, but doing things like setting the ignition timing properly REALLY helps. ( I did that, and the engine is much happier )

1z5hll4.jpg