BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
We have now caught up with the present.

I've checked the mechanical ignition timing, and all seems right. However, when I line up the gear mark to the notch on the distributor, the rotor moves one "click" to the right when putting the dizzy back into the head. Why does that happen? Does that make my dizzy off by one tooth?

Fuel pressure pegs at 73psi !! Maybe I need to replace the fuel lines with larger pipes.

So, that's where I am now. I am happy with how much progress I've made on this 8 year engine swap, and also very frustrated because I feel like I'm SO close to hearing the motor run but held up by I don't know what!

andrew_mx83

Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
The dizzy rotates during installation due to the helical gear engagement. You just take it into account when you slide it in (a bit of twisting by hand will help it slide in easier too)

Forget the gear marks, best bet is to start installing it with the rotor button pointing about vertical, then as it rotates and seats home the rotor should point at the top right threaded hole where the cap screws in (engine at tdc). If it is off by a decent amount, pull the dizzy out slowly, feel it rotate backwards and just as you feel the gears come apart turn the rotor a little bit by hand and then slide it back in. Repeat until the rotor points roughly at the threaded hole once it has rotated itself around. Hope that makes sense.

Oh, and your ecu is fucked. Replace it...

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thanks for the tips. Yes your description makes sense. I'll re-do the dizzy tomorrow if I can get to it.

Already replaced the ECU.

I figure I need to go through the FSM no-start check procedure step by step until I figure out what's wrong, including testing for compression.

But first I feel like I really need to get the fuel pressure down to the normal level

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Long-ass build. I love that car btw. My second car was a 72 Corolla.. and if I had it today, I would have a 7M in it.. lol. :)
Hopefully this gets up and running to much fanfare and cheers!

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I know this is YEARS later.. but would it be possible to have a shop chop and re weld the pace setter header to fit the corona? You said it was too wide.. but the header comes off the head a good 4 inches before going down lol. Seems like it would be a fairly simple chop and weld

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
So clearly still a lot of work to do!

Needs and exhaust for starters. Because there isn't one AT ALL. The neighbors are not happy about the noise and fumes from a cat-less old car.

The Pacesetter headers can be cut and re-welded. I may do that now that I know how to weld. Not a priority though.

I am really thrilled to have gotten to this stage! Feels like a triumph

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Found a stock 7M-GE mid-pipe locally, but without the cat.

Bolted it up and started the car again. That slow rev to 3k and drop and back again is gone, so that's good. Not an air leak. Nice and steady idle. Hella loud though!

The pipe fits almost like stock. Fits perfectly, except for at the trans mount where it hits. I may just take the heat shield off and see if it clears, but what is likely is that I'll just have a low profile trans mount made.

zbsex.jpg

fyjyh0.jpg

2j3gm7n.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
P.s. fixed the fuel pressure issue. Easy! Swapped a different fuel pressure regulator. The old one was just stuck. Everything working as it should

Brakes work, clutch works, engine running. I moved the car a few feet backwards and forwards again under its own power!

Very exciting. Getting closer to a drive every day I work on the old girl

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
The work lately has been to try and get something done about the transmission mount. What I need is to be able to drive the car enough that I can have a real mount made by a pro. All I did was take a couple sections of 1/8" aluminum bar and drill holes for the factor W58 mount and bolt those to the factory Corona trans mount. Easy, ugly, and not strong enough. I'll have a pro fix it up soon.

No other updates other than some shifter bushes. The trans didn't have a shifter seat bushing at all, so I ordered a Marlin Crawler nylon bushing, along with a new shifter socket bushing. What a difference these parts make! I can actually find gears now.

ot403k.jpg

Gave the car a wash and took a few photos just for turds and chuckles.

2e33jmf.jpg

zyd55l.jpg

2wmoq3m.jpg

Should be taking the car to the muffler shop to have an exhaust made next week!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Today the car went to Performance Options in Oakland to have the exhaust and transmission mount made. I had been so busy at work the last two weeks I've hardly had any time at all for the car. So today was the first day I have started the car in a while, and the first day I have actually driven the car!

Only reversed out of my driveway and then into the shop drive way after the tow, but those few meters were SUPER exciting!

Can't wait to get the car back and have an exhaust on it.

Here is the car waiting for the tow truck, after being driven for the first time in 7 years!

20si1aw.jpg

Here is the car at the shop:

faps9j.jpg
[/quote]

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Havn't had a timing light on it yet. All my neighbors got really pissed when I fired up the car with no exhaust, so was waiting until that had been done. Now that the exhaust is made, I find that the heater core is leaking coolant all over the driver's floor.

One more thing to fix before driving!

Also, the engine seems to be running rich. Lots of smoke. I think too much fuel pressure still.

Fix one thing, two more issues pop up!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Yikes! Good think I don't have a Supra!

I can see the entire heater core under the dash, behind the center console without moving a single thing. Becuase no one has replacement heater cores for this car, I'm going to find a place to have it fixed.

efqbv7.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Heater core came out today after removing 4 small screws and 2 hose clamps. Old cars are good for something. But the big news is the body work started today!

My brother-in-law came over with a bunch of tools and supplies and we got to work on the big ugly dent in the rear. I'll let the photos do most of the talking.

28vrvhz.jpg

i6mull.jpg

2s139mp.jpg

acbqyx.jpg

Meanwhile, I got to work on the bumper. I said, "but I don't know how to do this." Francisco just said, "You can't really make it any worse than it already is."

Good point.

So I started wailing on it with a 3lbs hammer and actually made some positive progress.

2u61tgx.jpg

fjpxr9.jpg

scud1g.jpg

While I was making a racket and slow progress on the bumper, Francisco was working his craft and making art. I had always thought it would be a very long time before I could afford to have the body of this car repaired. I am so happy and fortunate that my friend and brother-in-law loves his job and is happy to help out!

xdw2zp.jpg

dqkqwx.jpg