BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
LOL! A fuse would have been a good idea!

Here's some data for current capacity of a few gauges of wire.

AWG | dia | circ | open | cable | ft/lb | ohms/
____ |mils | mils |air A | Amp | bare | 1000'

10 | 101.9 | 10380 | 55 | 33 | 31.82 | 1.018
12 | 80.8 | 6530 | 41 | 23 |50.59 | 1.619
14 | 64.1 | 4107 | 32 | 17 |80.44 | 2.575

Last edited:

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
3p141592654 said:
LOL! A fuse would have been a good idea!

I do have a fuse in there, a 30 amp fuse after the switch and it was fine.

Bigaaron was saying that maybe I had the supply voltage and ground touching some how? Once I get time to work on the car again I am re-wiring everything.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
No no I greatly appreciate the advice. Obviously there are lots of very basic things I don't know about this stuff.
Thanks for the help!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
No worries, we have all made mistakes.

3p141592654 said:
The fuse needs to be upstream of the switch, so that any short in the switch or wiring to the switch will blow it. I'm not ragging on you, just offering some advice!
Very true!

This may be common knowledge but just in case anyone was wondering:

The fuses are actually to protect the wiring itself from overload. It may seem like they protect the item wired up down stream, but in fact the fuse just keeps the wiring from burning if that item has a internal short or the wiring gets shorted to ground in an accident or some other way (switch wired wrong LOL). That is why the fuses are always close to the power source (<12"). In the case of the fuse boxes, the main power wire to the fuse box is fused with a high amperage fuse at the battery, and then all the smaller wires downstream have the proper size fuses in the fuse box. The fuse should be a little higher in amperage then the item can draw in normal operation. For a normal fuel pump that would probably be around a 15 amp fuse. The wire should also be a large enough gauge to handle higher amperage then it will be fused at.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Awww geeze guys. Makn' me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Yeah so nothing new. I have been so busy and all my recent spare car time has been going to my new 240Z.

I am thinking that this week I am going to get back to the MX12. I really really want that thing running! I have just been frustrated not really knowing what to do next. I have been mulling it over and have a plan of attack.

With any luck, I can post some progress soon!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Hello ladies and gentlemen!

Thought this thread had gone to Davey Jones' locker? Well it did truly die for a while. Lots has been happening in my life over the last year and a half, and the Corona project had to be shelved. I packed up everything and towed it out of town to be stored at my mother's house out in the country. It is there now, pretty much exactly as it was when I parked it there. Mostly the reason I did park it was because I have returned to school, and I am there full time. That plus only working a few days a week at most means money is tight and time is tighter.

With what resources I had left, I put them into working on my 240Z. It was going great until the old engine finally gave up. In the process of swapping in a new engine now, and will be selling it soon. I don't want to, but I need the money, and at this point I have to choose between the Z, and my Corona.

Corona wins!

Where it is now, the Corona is basically a big mess. The fuel pumps setup is garbage, and the engine wiring harness is a catastrophe. I was getting impatient to have it all done back then and started trying to get away with shortcuts. Now I will pay for that by having to re-do it all. I don't mind anymore though, because my long term time constraints no longer apply. I still have a vision for this car, and I want it to represent my standards of work. The goal is to have a bad ass old school Japanese car that I can be proud of, and say "I did that".

Here is a picture of the Corona about to be put on the flat bed and taken away:

p951619_1.jpg

I will not be taking classes this summerl, so I am hoping to get to work on the car in earnest once this semester is up. Possible plans include building a MegaSquirt system to clean up the wiring harness, and eliminate any problems with the crappy work I did on the factory harness. I am also considering carburetion. That might be a little far fetched though, just toying with the idea and researching the possibility. I have heard of EFI engines being converted to carb many times. I know that it won't make more power, but has the potential to simplify things greatly. If anyone has thoughts or recommendations regarding the next step, I would love your input!

In the mean time, here are a few photos of the Z.

Went from this:

p951619_2.jpg

To this:

p951619_3.jpg

p951619_4.jpg

p951619_5.jpg