Bluechulappa's 89Turbo restoration

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
bryanintexas;1204935 said:
Just curious, who did you decide to use for the machine work?

Scroggins :icon_bigg based on your reccomendation and others who've had work done by them.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Bluechulappa;1204860 said:
So Tom from the machine shop in downtown Houston called me this morning. Apparently there was some pitting on the cylinder walls after the hone and he wants me to look at it for myself before they go forward with anymore work on the block. :cry:

I just dread driving to downtown houston again two days in a row for something that might be so simple (Ex. Do you want to go forward?)... To bad I can't stop by at night when club hoping cause this place is literally blocks from all the clubs lol

So I guess I'll drive my sorry ass down there to look. What do you guys think?

You have options. Get the cylinders bored out .020 (you'll need new pistons then) or having them sleeved. I had a cylinder sleeved on my 87 gte engine I put in my 86.5. As long as you're not looking for crazy horsepower, which I don't think you are if you going have stock internals, then it won't be an issue. My mechanic used new TopLine pistons.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
It's all good I talked to Tom at Scroggins again. He said you cannot feel the pivets but you can see a couple small ones. He just wanted me to know about it. Didn't want me to wonder what they were when I pick up the block. But he also said it shouldn't be any issue. The pistons will still work and the rings will still sit. He also said that after about 5000miles the pivets should disappear.

So work continues! I need a real main seal and front timing gasket.

About to order the driftmotion SS braided oil line that goes in the oil pan.
Need to shim my new oil pump.

I'm working real hard on cleaning parts in my garage. Will post up some pics when I get a chance. The PS pump and oil pan were the worst!

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Excellent news! So are you going to assemble the block or are they doing it. Did you remember to put that timing thing ( I don't have a f-ing clue what it's called ) back on the front of the block? It needs to be machined with it.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
JDMMA70;1204938 said:
Scroggins :icon_bigg based on your reccomendation and others who've had work done by them.

Glad to hear! We have used a couple of machine shops in the past (@ the dealership) and Scroggins has been the best.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Some pics of what I've been doing while waiting on the block to return. This is the least fun part of the rebuild...
The Powersteering pump was by far the worst looking
Before:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

After: (could use some more detailing)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Cleaned up the Waterpump. It was new about a year 2 years ago...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Oil pan was pretty sick on the out side...
Before:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

After:(Needs to be powder coated)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Bluechulappa;1205482 said:
Some pics of what I've been doing while waiting on the block to return. This is the least fun part of the rebuild...
The Powersteering pump was by far the worst looking
Before:

What did you use to clean the parts?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Bluechulappa;1205738 said:
Gunk - Engine Degreaser, WD40 and Elbow Grease!

Thankfully these were some of the worse parts on the engine. The rest of stuff is dirty but not cakes in crud!

Let me know when the powder coating guy comes by i want to get in on these quotes he gives you. :evil2:

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
UPDATE*

Tom from the machine shop called around 3:30 today. Said everything is finished and they are ready to assemble my shortblock but they need my oil squirters. So I'm going to drop them off tomorrow and hopefully I will pick it up same day and drop off the head to be machined!

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
So I need some opinions from peeps...

I have the Driftmotion aN stainless steel braided oil pump line on order.
I have a brand new OEM Oil Pump from Toyota.

Do I need to shim the pump? I've looked at the oil pump shim threads but I dunno if I should.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
PM Jdub. He's the expert on this. If you do, make sure you give him detailed info on your car and specificly what your plans are. This is something you want to be absolutely sure of before you go tampering with the oil pump.

Now go to bed!

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
gtsfirefighter;1206265 said:
PM Jdub. He's the expert on this. If you do, make sure you give him detailed info on your car and specificly what your plans are. This is something you want to be absolutely sure of before you go tampering with the oil pump.

Now go to bed!

This is exactly how I was thinking. I never had bad oil pressure with my old pump. So I am doubting the need to modify this brand new pump... Plus I'm upgrading that crush bent oil line anyways.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
when i built my current 7m I shimmed my new pump 5mm. I'd do it! check your clearances as said before too! you'd be pissed if your motor clunks out cuz of a whacked oil pump.

but if you do shim the oil pump *hopefully lol* do it before install and 5mm is perfect to meet where specs wants it.