Bluechulappa's 89Turbo restoration

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
gtsfirefighter;1199326 said:
What? Really? I want to see what a used, unblown 7M headgasket looks like. I've never seen one!:biglaugh:

here you go Ken

sm_photo_missing.jpg

That was mine, still have it to if you wanna see it at TX2k9 ;)

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Not much done in the past couple days... Finished up finals for the semester today and it got super cold. It actually has been snowing and sleeting here but not sticking :nono: Thats kinda a rarity for it to snow in Houston! Anyways... Got the block pretty much stripped. Now comes the fun part cleaning stuff!:evil2:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I think we are gonna have the block sent out and cleaned and checked, all the machine work and installation done.

Also checking into a powder coating service in the area. They come to the house and do the powder coating in their truck. Free estimate so I'm checking into getting valve covers done, 3000 pipe, intake manifold among other things. Need to find some place to do ceramic coating for my heat sheilds and maybe the exhaust manifold.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
So I'm taking my block and short block parts to the machine shop as soon as tomorrow!

Need some advice from ppl with knowledge. I'm taking my short block to a well known machine shop in downtown Houston. I know they have built several 7Mgte engines.

I'm going to have the block hot tanked. Cyl walls honed and block decked for a MHG.

Which metal headgasket should I go with? I'll be running stock internals.
Is there something special I need for certain metal headgaskets talking of the RA value? Or should they be all the same for mhg? I'm think of going with a HKS metal headgasket.

Any other advice before I head to the machine shop?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Linc, you'll need the head machined also.

On my 86.5, I used a Titan Motorsport MHG only because I got it, the ARP bolts, and a brand new Koyo radiator for only $200. HKS Stopper is reportedly the best out there but it's mucho $$$$ and the machine work has to be top notch. Cometics, I hear, are pretty forgiving and are a lot less $$$. Since you going to use stock internals, I would not go all out for the most expensive MHG. Thickness of gasket needed is determined by how much they have to shave off the block and head.

You probably already knew all that though. ;)

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Thanks guys, yea I meant to say which brand head gasket sry :evil2:.

Block is only going in at this time and I will probably have them assemble my short block as they have/are doing some local 7M motors! Will have the head shaved later on!

Any other things I need to know going in?

Another question I have is, does the block have to be painted after a hot tank? I've been told yes but I've also searched google and can't find an answer:3d_frown:

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Bluechulappa;1203591 said:
Thanks guys, yea I meant to say which brand head gasket sry :evil2:.

Block is only going in at this time and I will probably have them assemble my short block as they have/are doing some local 7M motors! Will have the head shaved later on!

Any other things I need to know going in?

Another question I have is, does the block have to be painted after a hot tank? I've been told yes but I've also searched google and can't find an answer:3d_frown:

Lol Lincoln their way of cleaning of the block isnt i guess you can say it isnt a true hot tank, they use this other stuff that wont kill your oil shaft bearings. But to answer your question not 100% sure but im pretty sure itll need to be painted. BTW Happy Bday from SupraMania

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Ask the shop about painting it. Mine came back all nice and pretty. Make sure they replace the oil pump drive shaft bearings!!!!

Also!! Make sure that they machine that timing belt housing thing with it attached to the block. If it's not machined with the block, then your hg will not seal at all.

EDIT** I see in one of the above pics you've already taken it off. It goes on the front of the engine. Put it back on when you take it to the shop.

Oh, and BTW

Happy 21st Birthday

I didn't do anything special on mine either. My girlfriend (now wife) and I ate at Chili's and I didn't even order a beer. That was 18 years ago! Six more months and I'm 40!

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
gtsfirefighter;1203642 said:
Ask the shop about painting it. Mine came back all nice and pretty. Make sure they replace the oil pump drive shaft bearings!!!!

Also!! Make sure that they machine that timing belt housing thing with it attached to the block. If it's not machined with the block, then your hg will not seal at all.

EDIT** I see in one of the above pics you've already taken it off. It goes on the front of the engine. Put it back on when you take it to the shop.

Oh, and BTW

Happy 21st Birthday

I didn't do anything special on mine either. My girlfriend (now wife) and I ate at Chili's and I didn't even order a beer. That was 18 years ago! Six more months and I'm 40!

I talk to them about then and their cleaning method from what they have told me if they were going to hot tank it they would replace them however they dont do it anymore and their new cleaning method is much better and the oil shaft bearings wont have to be replaced.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Hot tank, wash with soapy water, dry, spray primer first or it may not stick to the block (mine didn't), then paint (I'd do at least 3 coats).

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Bluechulappa;1203770 said:
Wonder is I can have the block powder coated? I was looking at some BMW rebuild and the guy had pretty much everything in the engine bay powder coated and it looked sick!

Why not just get an engine paint kit?

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
So Tom from the machine shop in downtown Houston called me this morning. Apparently there was some pitting on the cylinder walls after the hone and he wants me to look at it for myself before they go forward with anymore work on the block. :cry:

I just dread driving to downtown houston again two days in a row for something that might be so simple (Ex. Do you want to go forward?)... To bad I can't stop by at night when club hoping cause this place is literally blocks from all the clubs lol

So I guess I'll drive my sorry ass down there to look. What do you guys think?