Bluechulappa's 89Turbo restoration

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Hey everyone! I finally got my hands on the 89 Turbo supra after about of month trying to get the ppl at the salvage yard to get it out! My close friend and I plan to completly restore it! We are gonna try and keep all exterior and interior OEM from 89 as much as possible and then work the engine and build it up! We're looking for 300-400rwhp and from what I've been reading this won't be to difficult to acheive! So lets start off with the pics of it in the salvage yard...

p692294_1.jpg

p692294_2.jpg

p692294_3.jpg

p692294_4.jpg

p692294_5.jpg

p692294_6.jpg

p692294_7.jpg

p692294_8.jpg

Day it was being moved out of the warehouse it had been in for 9 years!
p692294_9.jpg

p692294_10.jpg

Few days later it was delivered to my dad's work. He's worked for Toyota for 20+ years. Within two hours several ppl we're making him offers to buy it lol!
p692294_11.jpg

p692294_12.jpg

p692294_13.jpg

p692294_14.jpg

This week all new rubber is being mounted onto the sawblades! New radiator and condensor, along with new belts, wipers, filters, rubber hoses were ordered. Gonna be tuned up here... The entire interior is being stripped and the pieces are coming to the house for full cleaning and restoration! Today I finished the driver side door panel, center console and all the hatch trim from the inside along with the rear speaker covers. Here's my full cleaning work of the door.
The left side is the cleaned one as you can tell. It's kool that everything on this car comes apart unlike some cars today.
p692294_15.jpg

p692294_16.jpg

So that's all I have for now but about everyday we are doing something! More to come what do you think?

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
I took everything apart on the door panels and cleaned all the carpet and apolestry with resolve carpet cleaner and water. Scrubbed it all good with a black brush and hung it to dry in the hot texas sun! Cleaned the vinyl with 409 and krud kutter!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
wow it looks great so far the paint looks awsome, did you have an engine bay pic? what was originally wrong with it?

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
I think I have some engine pics but I'll have to check I have some videos of the first day they got her up and running!
Engine bay: Running
http://www.urbantunerz.com/videos/supra/100_2086.MOV

Start up:
http://www.urbantunerz.com/videos/supra/100_2091.MOV

Supra sees the sunlight for first time in 9 years!
http://www.urbantunerz.com/videos/supra/100_2093.MOV

Only reason it was given a salvage title was because the drivers seat burnt for some odd reason. But I can find no damage from fire anywhere on the car. Not the roof, door or carpet. nothing. It has a new seat now and will prolly be getting swapped out for some seats in another supra at the place. It has beautiful medium grey seats!

Hey I need to replace the carpet though! to many stains. Where's the best place to get replacement carpet? I found...
http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=3981&MakeId=28&ModelId=410
If you click on samples would the oem carpet color be closest to the medium grey color?

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
So I spent my day off from work, working on the turbo supra!
Entire interior is stripped. For the most part. Used industrial cleaner and rags to clean every square inch. Will be going back on Friday to soap and water and dry everything and more detail work.
Main problem right now is the smoke damage from the burnt drivers seat. Some of the interior trim pieces are brown and I can't get them grey for anything! Any help... Also ordering new carpet!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

It is so nice having to hook up on Toyota parts :icon_bigg
Got all new hatch and targe rubber seals and replaced the old ones with these new ones today. Also got the targa off for the first time. We now have the targe tool... Tune up is this saturday and we have a new radiator, lower radiator hose, fan shroud and many other new engine componets going in for the tune up.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Okay so update... It's been awhile! The supra is in the shop right now. We had all the stuff flushed and brand new hoses installed almost everywhere. New radiator and filters. Next is a good tune and some little tweaks then inspection! :aigo:

Recieved our new carpet from stockinteriors.com! I haven't seen it yet cause I had it sent to the toyota body shop where my dad works. He says it looks good! Its great having a parts manager as a dad :evil2: ahaha... Got the new tail light today, left side should be here tomorrow!
1053130949_6f3291a9ea.jpg

Using my parts transport the scion tC! I headed to the mech shop in chi town houston. I installed the brand new lamp! Looks nice... Just need a matching one now...
1053131665_845f1a853d.jpg

Finally, the entire interior is stripped except the dash... But all the panels and things have been cleaned one by one. A pains staking project in itself. Now I work tomorrow but the supra should be done at the mech shop by friday so hopefully we can bring it home and start re-assembing the interior...

Justin727

T-virus infected
Looking good man! You found a jewel! How many miles on her?

Dads a parts manager at a Houston Toyota eh? lol When I was down there last visiting family(home town) I hit up some of the toyota dealers to see if they were hiring... I was planning on transfering from my current toyota to one in houston... Wanting to move back :(

But agian car looks great man can't wait to see it finished!

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Thanks! Yea it's coming along... I am crossing my fingers that I can take her home on Friday!

I've been trying to get a job at Toyota to lol but not much luck. I haven't tried to hard. But I have employee discounts setup at a couple of them :evil2:

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Bluechulappa said:
But I have employee discounts setup at a couple of them :evil2:

I have it set up at 1....and it's on the other side of town from me.

Every thing's looking good! Hope to see it around town soon. I just bought mine this morning and hope to have it in town in about a week.

BTW, which dealership does your dad work at?

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
TOday I was hit with bad news. Stressed out and sad most of the day.
The number six piston is gone bad and the compression is lowlowlow.
So my dad asked me what I wanted to do? What should I do ppl? I don't know a whole lot about engines but I'm learning. I'd like to go 1jz BUT it's doubtful to happen so how should I go about fixing the engine? The engine had a previous rebuilt but the mechanic said it looks crappy and if they bored it then we need a new block to keep factory

My dad reffered me to: http://www.tbolt.net/Toyota_CID.htm And they are based here in Houston which is a super PLUS!!!
Anyways I think we will be ordering a 7MGTE turbo short block from them.
I should prolly go MHG and ARP studs right? Whats involved with the MHG process. They just bore the top of the head so the MHG can fit? Or what? Thanks... Opinion and smart suggestions would be appreciated greatly! Thanks guys :icon_bigg

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Thunderbolt - "We put the YYYEEEEEEEEEEHAW back in your motor and transmission!!" lol. I love that jingle.

Said to hear about the news. Hope the block's not bored. I might get a spare block with this car I'm getting. Not sure yet. I'll let you know.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Yea I'm hoping it aint bored! But the mechanic has a bad feeling cause pretty much all the stuff he has seen is aftermarket replacement parts.. But I dunno. I'm going over there today in person to see whats up...

Worst case scenario is we have to buy a short block I guess...

Justin727

T-virus infected
Got Boost? said:
Thunderbolt - "We put the YYYEEEEEEEEEEHAW back in your motor and transmission!!" lol. I love that jingle.

Said to hear about the news. Hope the block's not bored. I might get a spare block with this car I'm getting. Not sure yet. I'll let you know.

do they still use it? man I was like 7 last time I heard that. lmao

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Justin727 said:
do they still use it? man I was like 7 last time I heard that. lmao
lol yeah they still use that jingle.. as far as Tbolt goes.. theyre awesome, got a jeep motor from them and it runs perfect! but then again.. a supra is a supra.