Bluechulappa's 89Turbo restoration

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Did you read the link I posted? If you're going to push 400hp through this motor wouldn't you want some piece of mind?

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Bluechulappa;1207107 said:
Thanks guys for the input! I don't think I'm going to do the shim mod on this build. It doesn't seem worth it for my application. I have read around and have found no major... key word major benefits of doing this...

any improvements you can make to your oil system are allways worth it. ;)

especially one that doesnt cost anything, cant beat that

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
not trying to convince you but then again maybe i am.. it only took me 10 min to shim my oil pump, that was with it in the motor. you know how the rule of thumb says 10lbs for every 1k on tach means you got decent oil flow? well im dead on it that. that and a quart over the full mark on dip stick for good measure...

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
I guess I'll do it... You have to shim two places in the oil system right?

On another note! I'm going to call the machine shop first thing in the morning and see if they are done with my short block so I can get it back and admire the beauty! So exciting!!!

Last edited:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
There are two relief valves in the system but Im not sure if both can be shimmed. Iv never left the stock oil filter adapter on when I put a motor back in so Iv never even messed with it :dunno: Ill take a look at one when I get home for you

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Driftmotion ships fast as hell! Got this yesterday. It's a shame it will never be seen once it goes into the bottom end!

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Back from the machine shop... Can't tell if they painted this or what? I'm guessing they did unless this is the oem paint.

Work done by: Scroggins Machine Shop - Downtown Houston, Texas
Work done:
Block decked w/front timing cover less than 30RA - For metal HG application
Straight Hone
Reconditioned pistons and rods
New Toyota piston ring set
Crank straightened/grind/machined
Block boiled
Brass freeze plugs
New bearings
Short block assembly

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Note cyl walls have some pivets(can't feel them only see em)
Only way to fix that was to bore but we wanted to use the stock specs at this time.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Close up of the deck surface
sm_photo_missing.jpg

No cracks from the arp head studs!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Yea it's nothing super special like some ppl's builds but keep in mind this is an OEM rebuild. It's special to me!!!:evil2:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
HA!! I saw this engine b4 any of yall lmao.... And in person. I was dropping off my new old crank when to my surprize lincoln was there picking up his engine.. :D Looks really good. Congrats Link... Good Luck with your build.. Cant wait for a meet :p..