Best production year MkIII Supra

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
...is 1988. This is why:
☼: Earlier Supras are lighter than later ones
☼: They are also more common (or rather, more were made)
☼: Last year for solid engine mounts
☼: 6M crank
☼: Best pre89 spoiler. 86.5, 87, and N/A 89s had square third brake lights instead of trapezoidal badass ones
☼: Pre89 spoiler also gives the car a .32 drag coefficient; .33 for no spoiler, .34 for 89+
☼: Power steering isnt progressive
☼: Coolant temperature has dashes on the gauge. 89+ is all like "wat."
☼: Front end looks better. The grille looks far better, the turn signals, and just everything together makes it look better. I used to like the 89+ grill; when I was 15.
☼: Also the newest car with the above features
☼: Pre89 had prettier side mirrors
☼: Year of the Turbo A

However there are negatives:
☼: Taillights are ugly and require 89+ conversion immediately
☼: 6M crank
☼: No birdcage coolant light :( :nono:
☼: 89+ 3 piece looks a bit better
☼: Not as new as 89+ (age, wear and tear, etc.)
☼: 91/92 wheels look a bit better I guess, but sawblades have grown on me. They look better in person and even more better when black
☼: Steering wheel is hideous but at least there arent airbags. 89+ 3 spoke is HOT.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Orion ZyGarian;990708 said:
☼: Last year for solid engine mounts

☼: Year of the Turbo A

-They arent solid
-Turbo A's have have 89+ features (front bumper, tails, etc..) - which im sure you know, but then you dog 89+ so :dunno:

:)

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Slow66;990714 said:
-They arent solid
-Turbo A's have have 89+ features (front bumper, tails, etc..) - which im sure you know, but then you dog 89+ so :dunno:

:)

Well, they werent liquid filled IIRC

I was referring to the cool stuff the Turbo A has like limited production, black sawblades, Turbo A duct, MAP, 7M, etc.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
GrimJack;990742 said:
Hideous climate control unit.
Missing the cup holder.
Progressive power steering is awesome.

I prefer the climate control, but I'm almost completely certain its because my first car was an 88 so I was used to it by the time I got my 89.

Like the Germans thought, real cars dont have cupholders.

As such I now have to purchase one for it :icon_mad:

PPS isnt worth it. I prefer my far cheaper to replace non-progressive rack in feel even.

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
GrimJack;990742 said:
Hideous climate control unit.
Missing the cup holder.
Progressive power steering is awesome.

Agreed. Silver climate controls? No thanks. Progressive steering way better.

Surprised no one said 89+ has WAY nicer steering wheel.

Front end, rear ens, and mirrors all look better on 89+

Better wastegate design on 89+

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
BorHor;990779 said:
If the steering feels stiff you probably have PPS. with out PPS the steering is really light.

well its really hard to steer with no engine... hahaha

are there any differences? im about to go take some pictures of it to post up.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
The cup holder argument is invalid in my opinion. The center console cupholder is completely useless, especially if you have a 5spd.

In favor of the 89+, the forward facing rear speaker mounts greatly improve the sound system options/quality, as do the 6" front speaker cups in the 91-92.

-89+ have the reinforced rear subframe which comes in handy
-the semi-solid mounts, while they are practically indestructible, transfer a lot more vibration to the cabin
-If you have stock seats, the power recline is rather nice on the 89+, as opposed to the 'loose parts' slow recline over time on the pre 89 seats(I don't know about anyone else but I had to keep cranking my seats back up)

...so there are at least a few functionality improvements, aside from the collection of style improvements from the earlier designs.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The progressive power steering means the steering feels the same at slow speeds in a parking lot and at high speeds on the freeway.

Regular power steering is stiff in the parking lot and loosey goosey at high speeds.

The cup holders are not meant to be used while the car is in motion. That's what the passenger is for, if you even allow food in your car. I don't. But they are useful for storing a drink while eating in the parking lot.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Cupholder? You're in the car to drive, not drink!

I lol'd on 6M crank making both lists... only goes to show that everything is a tradeoff.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I like my '89. I like the taillights, and mirrors from an '89+ better than the '86.5-'88 ones. I like the instruments, and particularly the climate control appearance better.

I like the 3 piece wing, though I don't have one.

In Canada, the Mk3 never got an airbag, so we got the nice looking 3 spoke for all '89+ cars. ;)

I'd say though that if I were going to hold out for the Mk3 that I really want, it'd be a '92T, for the following:
Power Sunroof (IMO > Targa)
5 spoke rims
6.5" door speakers
Colour matched trim

Now I realise that a lot of these things can be done aftermarket, or would be replaced, however, it makes (IMO) the nicest starting point.

Though a JDM Turbo A would also be very nice.