Air Conditioner Problem

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Hey all,

I have a problem with my air conditioner. The blower works however the air does not get cold.

What I have noticed is the fan #3 identified in TSRM does not kick on. ( The one behind the bumper near intercooler) Could this fan be the reason the AC does not get cold? Fan #1 and 2 function properly.

If so, I plan on changing the fan #3 motor and see if this fixes the problem. If not, next step would be to check the freon/condensor.

I have relocated the power steering resevoir near fan #3, and with the aftermarket intercooler it will be tough for me to put probes and see if there is any power here. I will need to remove the front bumper to have room to work to do so. Hoping to get some feedback so I dont waste time taking parts off the car when unneccesary.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Backlash2032;1858275 said:
Post 89 doesn't even have that fan. I'd check the pressure in the system.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I have a 92, there are 3 fans in the bay related to the AC system, as well as indicated in TSRM. Not sure if your referring to something else.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Huh. Maybe its Turbo/non Turbo then. Because my 88 Turbo had it but my 90 na didn't. I just assumed it was pre 89 to post 89. Anyway I swapped my n/a to GTE and didn't put that fan in. My ac still blows incredibly cold

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The fan is not it, and whether you have 1, 2 or 3 fans depends on a couple of variables including model year, turbo and A/T.

I would start by hooking a gauge set on it and see if you have any charge in the system.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
Backlash2032;1858275 said:
Post 89 doesn't even have that fan. I'd check the pressure in the system.

my 91 turbo automatic has the mechanical, 2 small fans and 1 medium fan between condensor and intercooler

blk92suprat does your car still hold r12 or r134?
i know long shot on r12 but mine still has r12 :)
you could just be low on freeon or your condensor is dirty

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Requires r12.

When I look at the sight glass in the refrigerant resevoir, I dont see any bubbles. This could mean I am empty on refrigerant..which leads me to believe there is a leak in one of the seals. Hope this is not the case.

I dont have the manifold gauge set to test the charge, so I will need to take it to the shop.

I am also curious why condensor #3 fan does not operate.

I will test the charge and test the volts for fan 1 hopefully this weekend and will come back with my results.

Thanks again for the reponses.

Last edited:

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
blk92suprat;1858361 said:
Requires r12.

When I look at the sight glass in the refrigerant resevoir, I dont see any bubbles. This could mean I am empty on refrigerant..which leads me to believe there is a leak in one of the seals. Hope this is not the case.

I dont have the manifold gauge set to test the charge, so I will need to take it to the shop.

I am also curious why condensor #1 fan does not operate.

I will test the charge and test the volts for fan 1 hopefully this weekend and will come back with my results.

Thanks again for the reponses.

back when the car was made it had r12 in the system...but r134 has sence replaced r12
so finding r12 is hard to do and most of the time isnt cheap

i wouldnt say your empty of freeon b/c the compressor clutch is engaging
when empty the clutch wont engage...this keeps the compressor from destroying its self

looks at your a/c service ports...do they have a fitting thats screwed onto another fitting? if so then the system has been converted to r134
you could then simply buy a can of r134 with leak detector, hooked onto low side, start car, watch low side pressure and add free-on to recommend level
then when it leaks off there will be a green dye surrounding the area

and for the condesor fan...IIRC its turned on with the high pressure switch????dont hold me to that

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
blk92suprat;1858361 said:
I dont see any bubbles. This could mean I am empty on refrigerant

Or it is correct. There are only bubbles when there is an over or undercharge.

I am also curious why condensor #3 fan does not operate.

3p141592654;1858319 said:
The fan is not it, and whether you have 1, 2 or 3 fans depends on a couple of variables including model year, turbo and A/T.

I would start by hooking a gauge set on it and see if you have any charge in the system.

I know, you are already planning it. The fan doesn't turn on unless the high side pressure switch closes. If your compressor does not engage, you will not get high side pressure.

Last edited:
Do u have a pressure gauge set?
That's the best way to check
Blue gauge on the low side and red on the high Side
If ur high side read range from 206-213 psi
And ur low side read range from 21-28 psi then u have enough freon
If ur over those range then ur overcharge and can cause it not to work propery
Same goes wit under charge
Also when was the last time u change freon?
It could desolve after along period of time

Last edited:

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
somtol1983;1858793 said:
Do u have a pressure gauge set?
That's the best way to check
Blue gauge on the low side and red on the high Side
If ur high side read range from 206-213 psi
And ur low side read range from 21-28 psi then u have enough freon
If ur over those range then ur overcharge and can cause it not to work propery
Same goes wit under charge
Also when was the last time u change freon?
It could desolve after along period of time

Blockage can create high pressure too
Or condensor not cooling down enough

jonahs_supra;1858918 said:
Blockage can create high pressure too
Or condensor not cooling down enough
Yes that is true but he's stating fan not running
I don't know how his fan is set up but
When compressor kicks in it built pressure at a sertain point it kicks the fan on
Condenser can't cool freon by itself that's y the fan is thier to draw all the heat away so the condenser can do its job
Beside condenser is their to cool the gas coming from the compressor and turn it to liquid ;)
So best way to check is with a gauge u can tell so much by looking at how the gauge react jumping up and down or being steady