A lot has changed since I've been involved with the Supra community.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'll add nearly anyone on FB. Nice thing about FB is it's really easy to UNfriend their ass if they are a knob.

As for 5 years and everything changing... well, everyone grows up. Except me, I have a condition known as Permanent Peter Pan Syndrome. ;)

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I'm not a star like IJ, Doom, GJ, Kai, JJ... but I've been here for a few years myself. It seems like the last 6 months or so that it's really tanked.

For me I don't come here that much lately because I don't want to be tempted to drop money I don't currently have on my MKIII. She's sitting in a garage waiting on the wife and I to buy a new house before I spend more money on her.

I'm with the folks who are happy that the teenagers have all moved to FB. When I come back it's to get updates on projects and see what's new in the community.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Definitely has slowed a bit in the last few years. I do agree though: everyone's migrating to FB, but like someone else mentioned, searching through that BS blows balls.

I pop my head in every once in a while. Not as active as I used to be when I had my MK3. I'm more on SF now since I've picked up a MK4, but I come back to see if any of the MK3 2JZ guys have done any nifty things to give me some inspiration and ideas.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
The MK3 will always have a sweet spot in my heart, but i'd have to admit i haven't been here in quite some time since i quit my build on my mk3 and picked up a ready to drive mk4. Now i'm in the slow process of parting out everything i've accumulated for the mk3 over a span of 10yrs.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I enjoyed the mailing lists when they were still active, even picked up a gmail account when they first came out because I could start to use the then new archiving feature and 1GB of data to archive the massive number of emails. Then I moved on to the forums which have been great but they are indeed slowing down. Most of the people who have the funds and or time to do something new with this car have regained sanity and moved on. Facebook may be the new frontier but it's a place I simply will not go. Now get off my lawn. :: IJ. ::

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
Yeah even the supra community in Australia gone a bit quiet being mostly mk4s and fb andI barely go on sf forums

The time I became aware of this forum was in 2006 with dial up internet with the 56kps issue haha. In addition to that I was still in primary school at my last year. It just so happen to be my older brother who was at my age subsituted a supra over the mitsubishi 3000gt he always wanted cuz it more expensive at the time and this car happen to look similar and grew up to like the car.

Until he blew the motor up (typical P plater) which was I believe around the same year was when he became a member. To figure out 7m/1j/2j and I remember reading so much threads about 7m vs jz threads and the comments about "jz engine are bullet proof! 7m bhg blah blah blah"

Up until 2009 was when my brother started his build thread and when I realised this was a U.S base forum because everyone elses project threads were LHD. Alot of the people that commented in the build I dont see now days.
Only guy that I remember who stuck around was..... IJ because Aussie!

Might have a look into the fb group in aussie forums to see where all the mk3 community went

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
SeeUSmile;1992246 said:
Yeah even the supra community in Australia gone a bit quiet being mostly mk4s and fb andI barely go on sf forums

The time I became aware of this forum was in 2006 with dial up internet with the 56kps issue haha. In addition to that I was still in primary school at my last year. It just so happen to be my older brother who was at my age subsituted a supra over the mitsubishi 3000gt he always wanted cuz it more expensive at the time and this car happen to look similar and grew up to like the car.

Until he blew the motor up (typical P plater) which was I believe around the same year was when he became a member. To figure out 7m/1j/2j and I remember reading so much threads about 7m vs jz threads and the comments about "jz engine are bullet proof! 7m bhg blah blah blah"

Up until 2009 was when my brother started his build thread and when I realised this was a U.S base forum because everyone elses project threads were LHD. Alot of the people that commented in the build I dont see now days.
Only guy that I remember who stuck around was..... IJ because Aussie!

Might have a look into the fb group in aussie forums to see where all the mk3 community went

Ha! 56k. I remember being told to get off the internet so someone could use the phone.

I was originally on SF and then moved over to SM after seeing the difference in character of the members here. SM has helped me with countless things I couldn't figure out on my own. I'm happy to be a part of this community and help out when I can. Even the years I didn't own a Supra, I would always try to stay active and help. Although the traffic has slowed, this is still a great community with a plethora of information even for the people that are just lurking.

I don't really keep up with the FB groups as I hardly go on FB so I can't really comment on them.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
Mostly a lurker now myself.i've read so many threads and builds on this forum it's unreal.my car has been hibernating for a couple of years,but I've started playing with it again recently.
To be completely honest I had no idea there was supra groups on fb lol

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I too mostly lurk but still frequent the site for parts and information. This forum has helped me so much! Love it.
Oh and Ian. I added you on FB but no response. I guess after 8 years I'm still in the NFI class haha.
Btw where's Suprahero? Why hasn't he post whored this thread yet? Jay! Can you hear me?

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I gotta say... I was never a real, uhh, integral part of the community here. Since I got my first auto NA Supra 10 (holy shit, yes, 10!) years ago, I've only spent about 6 months driving one. It came apart for an "engine rebuild", which snowballed into a restoration, which was put on hold for a long time and eventually abandoned... since I couldn't really afford to do what I had my heart set on, either in terms of time, money or results.

What I HAVE done is a lot of lurking and drooling over other peoples projects. When I first started reading SF and eventually this forum I had no idea how far people would or could go to make these cars their personal dream cars. Now, I feel like I could write a guide to automotive design, or better yet, build a really cool Supra myself. I've had a lot of crazy ideas along the way about what I wanted to create, but it's pretty clear to me which direction I want to go, and I'm actually doing it today.

I could have bought a different car - something other than a [third if you include my junkpile parts car] MKIII Supra. There are lots of good platforms to work with, and the MKIII is starting to seem dated in a lot of ways (not that I ever really want an OBD-II car as a project), but ASIDE from feeling like I will have made good on my old dream of owning a sweet MKIII, I'm really doing it as an homage to all the cool and creative projects I've seen here. My loyalty is not so much to the make and model of car as it is to all you people. And I'm alright with this forum dying down - that'll happen eventually. BUT THE DREAM LIVES ON. ;)

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
I gotta say, I don't really have a whole lot of experience on this forum compared with most other people, but I do really enjoy this vs Facebook. The MK3 group has gotten better on FB since they changed the privacy settings, but you will still get a few idiotic questions. I wish people would refer to the TSRM online before they ask how to set timing or some other nonsense. I think it is ignorant to have such an amazing resource like that for free and not use that. Oh well though. I got on here years ago when I got my first Supra (NA). I just kinda lurked around and checked out what other people were doing to their cars. It wouldn't be till late 2012 when I got my 87 turbo that I decided to get active on here. Maybe I came late to the party (which is most likely true) but I think this is still an awesome place to go to have an intelligent conversation about our cars. If nothing else, I use it as inspiration. Like others said earlier in this thread, it is a great archived resource. If it does die down, maybe it will just weed out the idiots. On the other hand, the Wall of Shame makes for enjoyable reading during a dull workday like today.

toyMKIII

cars and guitars
Jun 20, 2012
Philadelphia
mkiii222;1991421 said:
I'm not a star like IJ, Doom, GJ, Kai, JJ... but I've been here for a few years myself. It seems like the last 6 months or so that it's really tanked.

For me I don't come here that much lately because I don't want to be tempted to drop money I don't currently have on my MKIII. She's sitting in a garage waiting on the wife and I to buy a new house before I spend more money on her.

I'm with the folks who are happy that the teenagers have all moved to FB. When I come back it's to get updates on projects and see what's new in the community.

We're not all gone!

I'm nineteen, however i'd have to agree with being happy most of my kind has moved on. For the sake of these cars I'm glad not more of my age group owns them as generally people my age are the ones trashing them and ricing them out. My car won't be part of the "rotting away or junk yarded" statistic; i'm in it for the long run. I took me forever to save up and buy her, but now that I own my car, it isn't going anywhere. Unfortunately my supra must hurt for a little while as I finish college in the next 3 years but i've got dreams in the not so far future; to fully restore and beyond!

In my small time here I have been glad for all the info. I've spent countless hours just reading and it's been invaluable what I gain- something facebook could never match.

Last edited:

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Silver MK3;1990818 said:
This is very true. I hate to see everything moving to Facebook though, I don't have one and much prefer this set up.

I see a lot of communication taking place on the farcebook. A lot of which is extremely redundant, opinionated, and either mis-informed or completely uneducated guessing. It's sloppy, wasteful, and generally ineffective.

The forum format is far superior at what it does. IMO

That said, I've seen an influx of lazy/sloppy owners, as signified by the flakiest transactions I've ever been a part of, ridiculous ignorance, and almost no attention to detail or exhibited intelligence in general. :nono: I really hope things get better, but this is where things get interesting. Ingenuity and improvisation will come into play as parts become more expensive/discontinued. I'm looking forward to the years to come.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
See here's the thing, we are all old now... Most of us were early 20's and we spent boat loads of money on them though our early-late 20-30's then most of us got hitched somewhere in between and life got in the way. Many dropped out far before us and there are a few old names that still remain. I'd say for the most part alot of us still have oiur cars, and mess around with them just not to the same degree that we used to. I for one, still have my supra after being though an aristo, mk4 and various other cars. I now just have my IS-F and my MK3... I just started to work on the mk3 again and modernize/improve some of the things I long has on my list.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Zazzn;1993336 said:
See here's the thing, we are all old now...

I'm in my mid 40's and hardly consider myself old! LOL. Still spend to much $$ on these cars but I love 'em. You just have to find a balance with all the other responsibilities you acquire as life happens.

From what I see on Facebook, I'm glad they're posting that crap there and not in here.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ive been trolling on Facebook and pop into any proper questioned areas and tell them about Supramania. As for the other forums, they have all wound down to a very slow grind.

This forum is defacto the only forum a person needs for a Supra really.

And also, I have noted that over the past 2 years, the availability of the MK3 has declined significantly. Part of the problem is that 20k into a Supra might get you 10k in a sale later on... they car is grossly undervalued for what it is. However, my MK3 is my "bucket" car. It goes when I do. Not before. I keep looking at newer vehicles and shaking my head. There just is no comparison to a MK3. Even MKIV's are too "euro" for my blood. Its my Japanese 'vette and I love it.

Hopefully Supramania stays around as long as I do, because in my mind its the one true life-line for a MK3 owner.