88 Supra Rebuild (Trans swap 1/18/11)

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Yeah, I check my oil and coolant twice a week or more so I caught the BHG really fast and stopped driving it immediately. My brother used to have a supra for 2 years, I know what its like sadly lol I would love to do a GTE swap in this but for some reason would like to keep it automatic.. I think it would be pretty sweet to have a fast ass sleeper status automatic. I was thinking about going NA-T but to me its just not worth the hassle of swapping computers and components over and be limited to lower boost due to the higher compression pistons. Ill keep my eye out and possibly look for a donor car to swap everything over, or just get a turbo 5 speed and keep this one the way it is as a DD. We'll see though :)

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Starting tuesday Im going to start working on a supra we have at the shop. Has the old motor out of my brothers supra.. Fully rebuilt from the bottom end up, Metal head gasket, ARP's, Ford Coil packs, T4 Turbo going to be running 18 psi, SAFC, Custom made FFIM made by my brother (DDS Performance) And then saturday doing a JDM 7MGTE swap in another supra with a rod knock.. Im starting to love supra's.. oh wait, I always did :p I will get a build going on the shop car and will be ready for SILV

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Yeah, don't waste your time with NA-T. Always better to put a GTE in there anyway. I left my 86.5 an automatic and it rocked! The only mod was a full 3" exhaust so didn't worry about blowing up the auto with too much HP, haha.
Nothing wrong with leaving it as is that's for damn sure! It's a nice car.

Good luck with the other ones. They are an addiction.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Dirty? Clean it up with orbit... lol I cleaned up my stock exhaust tips as they were looking pretty bad..

p1613920_1.jpg

And here are a few pics from last night.

p1613920_2.jpg

p1613920_3.jpg

p1613920_4.jpg

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Nice progress I redid the headgasket and torques it to 75 think that's why it's leaking again? I machined the head and everything :/

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Well worked today on the shop supra some... Started mocking up the intercooler and my brother tig'd on a turbo spacer to the exhaust manifold to make the flange 90 degree's to the head flange. The turbo is a garrett T4 but has a old 80's turbonetics P trim exhaust wheel and on center housing so we needed to move it on the manifold so it would clear the strut tower. Here are the results and some of the intake manifold being mocked up.

p1614669_1.jpg

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Well I have had an exhaust leak at the resonator for a while thats been ticking me off.. So I went the easy rout and fixed it with a piece of straight pipe, Car actually feels it has more giddy up and sounds a little louder and deeper! I like!

p1615902_1.jpg

p1615902_2.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Super-looking car, man.
Not a fan of those wheels, though.
My dream wheels for the understated, OEM look would be some 17x8 BBS mesh rims in bright silver,
considering the car's paint color. It'd be tits.
: )
But a cheaper(AND oem) route would obviously be Mk IV TT rims.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Alright, Well Im in the process of doing a GE-T Conversion Here is what I have planned, What I have, and what I need to order!

Already Have:

Turbo Valve Covers
Coil Packs
Cam Position Sensor
Igniter
Turbo Manifold
CT26 (Needs a rebuild, Compressor wheel all chipped up)
3 Inch Exhaust
Turbo Maf/Accordion hose/Filter
Wiring Harness (Yellow Plug Auto Harness) (Completely re-done, All new loom, no broken clips or connectors)
7MGTE Yellow Plug Auto ECU
SAFC Neo
Turbo Intake Manifold and Throttle Body
440CC Injectors
7MGTE Thermostat Housing
ARP Head Studs
Stock Intercooler and piping (Will probably go with after market piping)

Need to get:

Drift Motion NA-T Oil Line kit
Fuel Injector O ring kit
HKS Metal Head Gasket
Turbo Gauge Cluster (Swap Tach)
Boost Gauge

Need to do:

Pull engine to weld in oil drain bung into oil pan
Change the head gasket (AGAIN) to a HKS Metal Head gasket
Get Down pipe made up
Start Swapping parts onto my engine

So I will keep updating, I should have this done in 3 weeks!

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Got a new compressor wheel and installed it on the turbo today, All I need to order is intercooler/piping, Metal head gasket, injector o rings, oil line kit, and upper gasket set! 3 weeks to get this done, running and tuned for the last drag event of the season here in vegas!

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Here are a couple of pics from supra's invade las vegas! What a fun event!

p1630246_1.jpg

p1630246_2.jpg

p1630246_3.jpg

On a Side note, Everything I need will be ordered this week and should have it all done by next weekend!

Top End rebuild gasket set already ordered, Got a Turbo Automatic Tach to put in my gauge cluster, and got a aftermarket boost gauge

Going to be making a huge order from driftmotion this week..

7MGTE Intercooler/piping
Injector O rings
NA-T Oil line kit
HKS Metal Head Gasket
CPS O ring
Valve Cover Bolts

Hope to be posting big updates soon! :D

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Tomorrow starts the tear down of the N/A motor and time to start putting on the turbo stuff! I should have it finished next weekend if all goes as planned and my turbo doesn't blow up.. I need to get a custom hose made for the turbo drain.. Other than that everything is ready! :D

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Progress as of right now..

Installed Turbo Tachometer in my gauge cluster, mounted Boost gauge and wired in, mounted SAFC Neo, Removed old GE Computer and installed the GTE one

p1631702_1.jpg

Parts Removed

p1631702_2.jpg

Engine status

p1631702_3.jpg

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
are you going n/a-T or swapping the gte from the donor into your car? if u are going n/a-t why not just go full gte swap?