88 Supra Rebuild (Trans swap 1/18/11)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Rust free Supras.....*sigh*

Did you plan on redoing the engine, as in head work? I know that you know it would make the job easier.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I have thought about it due to the cam journal clearances being on the "looser" side and scored a bit. But I'd rather not pull the head off because everything is working just fine right now. The most I might do is some drop in cams that will be properly degreed. The motor has 152k on it now and it has its wear and tear. But still going strong, compression is high, oil pressure is right where is should be and its running strong.

PS: The only rust on my car is right under the battery seems to be just surface rust because the paint bubbled off. :( I wish It wasn't there.

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
I HAD the same rust Devin and it wasn't to bad to fix. I now feel so much better not having it there to bother me lol

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Not much going on, Waiting on parts to show up.

Got my injector clips and O ring set, Just waiting on RC Engineering 750CC Injectors to show up so I can put it all in.

I also got a spool of RG58 wire to re do my knock sensor wiring at the same time I do my injector clips.

I recently flushed my whole cooling system and replaced the antifreeze with RMI-25 cooling system treatment. It works very well and dropped my water temps by 8 degree's.

Got my external waste gate setup all done and installed, also put a blitz blow off valve on instead of the crappy failed Driftmotion HKS knock off.

Lex AFM, Injector O rings, and EV1 clips.

p1736763_1.jpg

Blitz blow off valve welded to the old HKS clone valve flange so it goes into the same flange on the intercooler

p1736763_2.jpg

Strap/bracket I made to hold the stock wastegate flapper shut

p1736763_3.jpg

p1736763_4.jpg

RMI-25 cooling system treatment! Its freaking awesome!

p1736763_5.jpg

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Blew the stock CT so scraping the whole stock ct26 record stuff. Time to make some better power. CT26 57 trim should be a lethal combo with high compression, auto, E85 and external wastegate setup.

Sending a few cores into driftmotion ;)

Injectors will finally be here thursday, so will probably put those in and re do the harness a bit while im waiting for the new turbo to show up.

p1737660_1.jpg

Thanks,
Devin!

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Bit of an update. Been busy on the supra. New valve cover gaskets/grommets, Injectors installed, wiring harness has been re loomed/wrapped with the new EV1 Clips and new knock sensor wiring ran. Everything is back together just waiting for the turbo and few other things to show up.

Turbo should be shipping friday hopefully.

Ordered also

Battery hold down
New spark plugs
Specialty nuts for turbo
New coupler for the hot pipe to the turbo

Just need to gap and throw the spark plugs in, coil packs, throttle linkage, PCV, turbo and ready for tune on the dyno. Hoping to put out over 425whp! We'll see!

Enjoy!

p1741757_1.jpg

Wastegate setup

p1741757_2.jpg

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Well car still sits in the garage in the same condition, its about to be finished tonight. Aaron at driftmotion has my turbo done and ready. I decided to go for a drive down there so leaving at 9 to drive to driftmotion (3:30 away from vegas) Going to throw it on and head to the dyno hopefully tonight.

Should make some good power ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Devin LeBlanc;1737660 said:
Blew the stock CT so scraping the whole stock ct26 record stuff. Time to make some better power. CT26 57 trim should be a lethal combo with high compression, auto, E85 and external wastegate setup.

Sending a few cores into driftmotion ;)

Injectors will finally be here thursday, so will probably put those in and re do the harness a bit while im waiting for the new turbo to show up.

p1743835_1.jpg

Thanks,
Devin!

Any thought to the JT56 or something similar? On paper it looks like it is the same as my Boss Jr. My hotside is .58 A/R and the housing itself is bigger. I remember him saying his was similar. I think you would be deep in the 11's.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Well I got back from LA put my 57 trim on and did a bit of part throttle tuning. Did a base tune but its really rich so going to do it on the dyno tomorrow morning and let my brother do the tuning. Im at 17 PSI and its probably 10.5 AFR's and it pulls HARD. spins 3rd gear a little at 60mph. I <3 E85

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Just an update! Car made 369HP 376tq @ the wheels on 16 psi but the fuel pressure was dropping off. So put in a new deatsch werks pump and it fixed the issue. Put it back up on the dyno the next day and the car made 396HP 398tq @ the wheels on 17.5 PSI but I maxed out the 750CC injectors @ 88% duty cycle.

That is through a stock A340 trans with my upgraded valve body taking 510 crank HP through it holding strong and we put tons of load on it on the dyno. The car pulls great and can't wait to hit up the track.

Got myself a new radiator because out here in vegas in 110F ambient temps daily with A/C the stock radiator sucks at cooling!

Modified my taurus fan and mounted it with pull through zip ties, I don't think you could get a better electric fan than this as long as the wiring and relay setup is good. It fits the Mk3 radiator almost fricken perfect. Took me 20 min to modify it with a box cutter and a jig saw.

Pics as always!

Stock vs new! Oh yeah :D

p1746026_1.jpg

Fitment is kinda shitty on the drivers side.

p1746026_2.jpg

After the Taurus fan was cut and trimmed in a few places

p1746026_3.jpg

All mounted!

p1746026_4.jpg

Clearance on water pump and pulley

p1746026_5.jpg

New DW300-1 pump

p1746026_6.jpg

Car on the dyno at my brothers shop

p1746026_7.jpg

First dyno graph (fuel pressure dropping off at red line)

p1746026_8.jpg

And last but not least a video, Im waiting on my friend to finish editing the dyno video

[video=youtube;UPvcTC6nowQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPvcTC6nowQ[/video]

Thanks,
Devin :)

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Well thought I would do a big update. Few more runs on the dyno and was able to squeeze 420WHP out of it. Threw on the slicks and headed to the drag strip. Did 11.81@ 117. Made 18 runs that night and blew the felpro head gasket hard core. It egg shaped all 6 cylinders.

p1757624_1.jpg

p1757624_2.jpg

Got the car towed back to the shop and pulled the head off.

p1757624_3.jpg

p1757624_4.jpg

p1757624_5.jpg

p1757624_6.jpg

p1757624_7.jpg

p1757624_8.jpg

Original plan was to check and clean the block, re deck the head and put on a HKS metal head gasket with new ARP head studs. Cleaned the old gasket material off the block and ended up block was pitted and was not going to seal on a metal head gasket most likely. So I pulled the motor and ripped it down to a bare block to be decked and honed. Full rebuild as follows

Deck Head, Check valve's/seats, replace valve seals
Deck Block and Power hone
All oil and coolant passages will be cleaned out in block
All new expansion plugs
Re use pistons and Rods
Clevite 77 STD Thrust, rod, and main bearings (old 153k mile old bearings looked great, could get away with reusing them but going to replace them anyways.
NPR Rings
OEM Aisin Oil Pump/pick up
OEM Toyota Timing Belt
Front/rear main seals
All Gaskets
HKS Metal Head gasket
ARP Head studs

The machine work will be done by my brother and I at Accurate Performance Machine here where Dana Westeovers Intake Manifolds were flow bench tested. Whole motor will be built and blueprinted by me as well.

Got the motor prepped for the machine work on Monday. All expansion plugs knocked out, All gaskets already removed, Front cover bolted on to be decked with block, All oil and coolant galley plugs have been removed, All thats left is to pull the dowel pins out of the block for the resurface. There's a nifty tool for that at the machine shop.

p1757624_9.jpg

p1757624_10.jpg

Thanks,
Devin LeBlanc

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Either dial down the power on the stock bottom end or prepare for tears. If you plan on keeping the supra for a length of time save up more money for forged pistons and rods. I know you have faith in your motor but your going into the point of no return.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
It was fine for 153k miles so it should be fine. the car has a bright future and might be going into the 9's so for now its just getting a stock rebuild. I have two more 7m blocks waiting to be built.