88 Supra Rebuild (Trans swap 1/18/11)

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Im going NA-T, The reason not swapping GTE in is because my motor is strong, well taken care of, great oil pressure.. I am keeping the NA pistons for higher compression to make more power at the same boost levels.. My brother is a professional tuner so I am not worried about my motor blowing, I know what Im doing and its getting done right the first time to prevent problems in the future.. I am planning on doing Alcohol injection as well

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Well got quite a few things done today.. Installed new Thermostat housing, Modified timing cover (half cut and painted Black) Installed new Coolant block/head tube....

Going to take the oil pan to my brothers shop to have the -10 AN bung welded in for the turbo drain I will start bolting on the intake manifold next, fuel rail, wiring harness throttle body, ICS, and then last but not least do the oil drain and feed lines to the turbo and mount up the intercooler/piping! Its getting close :)

Will have pics of it all tomorrow.. Just finished, tired its 2:30 am lol

Last edited:

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Well tried removing the oil pan in the car and failed miserably.. Tried everything from lowering transmission to jacking the engine up with cross support bar, Couldn't get it to clear the subframe and get passed the oil pick up tube..

Here is the plan!

Tuesday:

Drain Transmission fluid
Remove Driveshaft
Remove Engine
Remove Oil pan
Remove front bumper
Clean Engine bay
Mount intake manifold
Mount Exhaust manifold
Mount turbo
Set Cam timing
Install Cam Position Sensor
Install valve covers
Replace/Gap Spark plugs
Install plug wires
Install Coil packs
Install Front timing cover
Install thermostat and front housing
Install water cooling lines to turbo

Wednesday:

Weld in Turbo Drain into Oil pan
Install Oil pan
Install Oil pressure sender
Install Turbo Oil feed and drain lines
Install fuel rail and injectors
Wire in SAFC to new wiring harness
Run Wiring harness through firewall
Install Engine Computer
Install glove box/interior removed
Put Engine in

Thursday:

Hook wiring harness up
Hook fuel lines up
Install radiator
Install Radiator fan
Connect A/C Lines to Compressor
Hook up powersteering lines
Mount power steering resevoir
Mount intercooler
Mount intercooler piping
Install BOV
Fill coolant
Fill Transmission fluid
Fill Oil
Fill Power steering fluid
Install bumper
Install Hood

FIRST START!!!!!!!

Have no idea if it will go this smooth but im hoping! Lets see if it goes as planned

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Here are some pics! The intercooler kit is not in stock at drift motion so it didn't ship today! So much for getting it done thursday.. Oh well

p1632863_1.jpg

p1632863_2.jpg

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
ive been following closely bud... but i didnt notice if you said you were gonna do the manual tranny swap while its out or not? too bad about the inter-cooler, hope you have better luck later

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I am not going to do a manual swap, I had everything for it including a R154 and everything but ended up selling it to fund NA-T the way I wanted to do it.. The right way not cutting corners anywhere so I think its worth it.. Plus I like automatic for the sleeper status.. 5 Speed would be fun to drive but its going to be awesome to just punch it and hold on as the boost stays steady the whole rpm/shift range

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
sounds like how i like to do things (the right way), dude i live like 5 hours from you... i should come check it out sometime haha

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Definitely, Maybe we could go half and half and meet up some time.. Where are you located?

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Final resting place for the night...

p1632911_1.jpg

Engine bay is pretty clean seeing that the engine has never been removed before, Still going to get a cleaning

p1632911_2.jpg

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
well ill give you a lil back ground.. i bought it like a year and a half ago from some mexican guy (it was totally riced out) i then spent the next 7 months de-ricing it, after that i cleaned the bay up and then basically enjoyed it for a while. Then BHG... imagine that, so right now im in the process of doing the gte swap shooting for 400-500 hp lol the end :) might i also add that it is a mirror image of your car haha except it is stick and non targa

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Well, since drift motion didn't have the intercooler they called me today and asked if I wanted them to send the oil line kit and injector O rings and then when the intercooler kit was there they would send it separate.. I said yes, I got a tracking number from them and just checked it with a scheduled delivery date of tomorrow.. lol I love being 5 hours away from drift motion! 1 day UPS Ground shipping.. No point on spending extra on next day air LOL

So now that the engine is already out, Tomorrow I will pull the pan and have the drain bung welded into the pan and get it back up.. Maybe I can put the engine back in tomorrow as well.. :D This should be a fast turn around!

Thanks Drift Motion, They are the best place to get supra parts!

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Had my brother tig weld in the oil drain bung into the oil pan.. Put oil pan back up and sealed , letting RTV dry before torquing it down.. Spent about 2 hours re bending the transmission cooler lines to clear the oil drain AN fitting.. Anyways its ready just have to go make the line tomorrow.. Bolted up lower intake manifold and EGR valve, Need to go get Exhaust manifold nuts tomorrow and will bolt the turbo on and do the drain and feed then put the motor back in the car.. I might be temped to bolt on the stock intercooler for now.. Driftmotion doesn't have an intercooler yet so i wont be getting it by this weekend.. Oh well stock will do for now

Also Driftmotion sent a NPT T for the oil feed.. But it needs to be BSPT.. Im going to have to try and see if someone local has a BSPT-NPT adaptor..

TIG FTMFW

p1633442_1.jpg

p1633442_2.jpg

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Progress! Got the oil lines all done and made up today, Exhaust manifold on, Engine back in and all tightened down.. Just have to put the driveshaft back in but waiting to see if I can get a center bearing for it first! Mine is really bad...

Driftmotion was able to ship my Intercooler, piping and BOV today so I will have it tomorrow! Planning on having it running tomorrow night hopefully!

p1633832_1.jpg

p1633832_2.jpg

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
when you put the hks hg on did you just clean the head and torqued it down or did you get it machined and took measurements as to which headgasket to retain stock compression?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I didn't do the head gasket.. It has a felpro and ARP's torqued to 90 ft lbs.. It was just done 7k miles ago so there is no need to do the HG with me running stock boost and proper torque head bolts it should hold just fine if I keep detonation from taking place