88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Ok stopped by the shop today good work going on... gonna post pics later... but the car won't start. They had to push it around today... so I had one guy cranking whiile I wiggled the shit out of my cps wiring... nothing. I'm going to try manual cranking tomorrow.... but idk.... wut part of the cps wiring exactly is the problem area??? I literally wiggled the shit out of every section....

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
yeh... idk man if i can't get it started at the shop... well let's just hope that doesn't happen... stupid stupid cps wiring... fml

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
OK I get the Supra back tomorrow... went to the shop today to replace the fuel pump with a temporary one from my buddies car. I will install the walbro once I figure out the wiring and details on the install. The paint job looks exceedingly good, apparently the paint code by itself was more purple than blue, but they did the color matching very well. They also did my 89+ trim shave very very well... (except he left the tabs on... pics will explain). Once I prep the rest of the trim they will paint them for me.. it's gonna look gooooooood :thumbsup:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here you can see the only issue I found. The gap between the spoiler pieces is too big... the side pieces aren't flush with the inside lines. Anybody know if I can adjust the placement of the side pieces myself without screwing up the mounts and holes too much?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

they need to move inward and forward.... hmmmm I dont want them to redo it because I can't afford to have the car in the shop any longer...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

See??? looks amazing!! but notice the tabs on the ends? yeah when I bring the rest of the trim to be worked on, they will fix this too. They said that the paint had a bad "reaction" with the plastic... even the primer wouldn't adhere properly. They said they had to cure each layer and paint it twice.... that's like 4 stage job... They guy I talked to was kinda glad I told him I would bring it back in the future for more trim work because even he thought the paint on the center wasn't perfect enough =O

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Parts from driftmotion... new O2 sensor, taillamp gaskets (from champion), 89+ antenna (also from champion), Walbro pump, bosch filter, and a HKS plate holder... cuz my old one is cracked as hell. Oh and a couple new PCV pipes and a new CPS connector.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Charger.... ugh you can barely tell the damage is there.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
That's the thing about the wing, the shop I took my 89 to fit the wing almost the same way, too out and too far back. So when I put the 89+ spoiler on my 86.5, I did it myself and it came out much nicer and better fitting. The secret is using lipstick on any points that go into the body, and press down to mark and drill. Lip stick wipes off and can be reapplied if put in the wrong area..

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Yeah he kept saying he was trying to line up the antenna hole... I told them repeatedly that the antenna hole doesn't need to line up because the only solid point of contact is with the main body... the little rubber seal on the spoiler is flexible... you think i can adjust it myself? Also what did you use to seal between the surface of the body and the spoiler? I know stock, toyota used some kind of black rubbery gasket like tape... I don't know what it's called and I can't seem to find the same thing

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thanks guys!! more pics :D got her back today... time to get to work

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I need to figure out a way to adjust the placement of the side pieces to the spoiler... that gap is just way too big... the inside surface should be flush with the body... also going to order full set of spoiler gaskets from toyota...

MA70AEROTOP

Sep 24, 2008
Perth
dude wouldnt worry mine is like your gap and mine hasnt been in a smash and its factory 3 piece spoiler! looks good like that colour

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Damn, every time I check your thread your car looks better! That spoiler "gap" you mentioned would bother the shiz out of me too haha. Should of went wingless. :icon_wink

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Ugh... I can't work for more than an hour at a time... I am literally pouring sweat all over my car and parts... fml freaking Texas summer heat is insane... doesn't help that the garage is only sun free until noon... and the wind is nice, but it's blowing dirt and grass into the garage making everything dirty... and there are thousands of spiders... anything left for one night will be covered in webbing by the next day... I don't mind spiders, but this is insane... like seriously leave my shit alone

So here are some midday pics:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

An idea what it'll look like with painted mouldings

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Finishing my wheels... somebody asked me on how I did them... so here are a few work pics

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Peeling/scraping paint off

sm_photo_missing.jpg

razor work to get those clean edges

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Somebody please confirm this is 89+... I had no idiot brakelight on omw home yesterday yet I had no third brakelight, no side markers, no license plate lights.... idfk

sm_photo_missing.jpg

the mess

sm_photo_missing.jpg

guess what's happening here mmhmm

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Alright progress pics and some bad news :(

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

can't figure out which bolt goes into that hole... they bodyshop made a mess out of my neatly organized bolts and even used the wrong ones in many places

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

And here is the bad news... finally figured out the fitment issue with the trim and lights... fml this is serious... I can't afford to put her back into the shop... anyone think I can fix this myself???

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

here's how it should look...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

look at that gap...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

FML.... I tried taking the hammer to it... not really making a difference at all

MA70AEROTOP

Sep 24, 2008
Perth
thats a poor repair..if it was done thru insurance I would complain! My old supra had some rear damage that was fixed and I recall to make the passenger trim match up to rear lights I had to tighten the shit out of the nuts to bring it closer to the body. to fix it I put I tack welded a steel bar in the boot and with a scissor jack and some wood I was able to bring out the body. don't try a hammer as that will make it worse. even a porta power could be used.

I would bring it back to the shop and tell them to fix it!!!

Artistotle

Jul 25, 2011
Suburbs, PA
Wow, so I just spent multiple hours of my monday night reading all 40+ pages of your thread from start to finish. I've been daydreaming a bit about buying a supra mk3 as a project one day in the future, so I was looking up supra forums and came across your excellent thread. Unforunately, the forum requires manual activation, so I probably won't be able to post this comment until tuesday night, but I just wanted to get my ideas written tonight in a text file while they are fresh on the page.

Here are my impressions:

1. Wow, in general you have come such a long way with this car. You deserve a lot of credit for getting in there and doing everything yourself (and occasional assistance, but that's not a bad thing at all). A lot of this is new to you, and i know how difficult it can be to go headlong into new territory. I'm 24 and have been tinkering with my personal car (01 accord v6 coupe) for the past couple years and I definetly love all the projects you've been tackling, and your documentation. We seem to have a similar approach/mentality to projects so it made for a great, amusing read and i was cheering for you to get the issues resolved.

2. You definetly have an outstanding engine bay and it belongs in any thread that highlights commitment to it's presentation.

3. I like bugs a lot but jeebus texas has some big ones! The random bug pics kept me on guard lol

4. I don't have any sentimental attachment to supra's, I just like them because they have cool 80's styling (broadly speaking, it brings to mind a late 80's corvette with a early 90's bmw 8 series front) and I am drooling at the concept of owning a car that is Front engine, rear wheel drive, longitudinal DOHC inline 6, manual, with double wishbone suspension front and rear, and targa roof with rear hatch access. That makes it vastly different from my current front engine, front wheel drive, transverse mounted SOHC V6, auto, mcpherson front/multilink rear with conventional sunroof and trunk. However, after seeing your thread i'm pretty scared off. Even with some of the mk3's around here going for 2k (NA manual), it seems like you have had to replace damn near everything on your car, and i'm not looking for such a frustrating project (even tho it is supposed to be a project car and just for weekends, I mainly want something that is manual, RWD, fairly reliable, fun, and looks good.)

That's everything at the top of my mind at the moment, i think it's not shabby for a first post lol.