88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Alright time for some long needed updates... and pics

The sup is going to the shop on monday while i search for a full set of 89+ trim... which I will summarily remove the soft material from, fill and have them painted to match the car.

Got my exhaust and JDM tails in:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

All my new parts =D

sm_photo_missing.jpg

lock cylinder won't fir the 89+ piece :(

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

After much work... I realized I can't just transplant the trim... it'll look like ass

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

preview of tails

sm_photo_missing.jpg

pre 89 with jdm 89+ bulb holders... gonna trade my jdm ones for usdm ones with Derek

sm_photo_missing.jpg

anyone else have this nasty gunk in their car???

sm_photo_missing.jpg

so if anyone has a full set of 89+ trim in good condition lmk asap plz and ty :D

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
I modified my lock to fit in the tails and it wasn't to bad. turned out nice too. all it took was a drill and some pop rivets.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
wills_jdm;1733169 said:
I modified my lock to fit in the tails and it wasn't to bad. turned out nice too. all it took was a drill and some pop rivets.

do you have any pics or a detailed description of this? I really don't want to experiment on my JDM kouki's =P

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Sweet! That's gonna be one good looking car when it gets out of the shop.In October if I get my car together in time. Well take a cruise down to San Antonio together and hang out with my s.a. brothers. Everyone is making progress on their cars. We should have three supras on the road that hadn't been in years. Mine hasn't been in two years, my bro in laws three, and my buddy rufus in ten.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Sounds awesome man!!! I can't wait to NOT be the only running mk3 in town LoL!!!! BTW I was totally convinced I was heading over to your place tomorrow morning... until I found out it's still Friday!!! =O

... as for my car... there is a lot more fabricating that I had originally imagined... really need to find a way to get my lock to fit... then I need to make sure the shop understands exactly what I want to have done... I'm going to ask them to fill the side holes from my pre89 spoiler and drill the new ones for my 89+ spoiler... then I'm going to ask them to fill and flush the trim of my JDM centerpiece to see how it turns out. If I like it, I'll ask them to do a full set for me. I can't wait fml

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
OMG dude!!! i have no idea wtf that shit is!!!! its so gross!!! its like 23 years of some kind of mold or something!!! its sticky and gooey and gets all over my hands and my tools!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Ok... more progress:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

At first I was like YEAH the only difference between pre89 and 89+ antenna is this little piece... and then I tried it and the tip of the retractable still went to the bottom... :(

sm_photo_missing.jpg

So now I need a 89+ antenna mast... everything else is the same... just need the actual mast

sm_photo_missing.jpg

For the life of me couldn't get those two plugs out to remove the driver side panel... fml

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

New bumper cleaned up for the shop

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Got it all cleaned for the shop... that way they don't have to clean it and can get straight to work =O

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Prepping all done... only reason the centerpiece is on there is because I want the shop to fill the 89+ trim on it, sand it flush and paint it the color of the car.... and if they do a good job then once I get the full 89+ trim set, I will have them do the same to the rest.

Also after testing my brake lights and no being able to get the stupid "brake failure" warning light to go away I have concluded that my only solution is 89+ USDM bulb holders. Reason being the JDM ones set the light off because they don't have the rear side markers (which I think the USDM failure box looks for) and my pre89's set them off because I was using my new 89+ failure box. Any feedback to this is appreciated =D so tomorrow.... body shop *fingers crossed

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
LoL I got rear-ended... and it's cheaper for me to provide a newer bumper in good condition than for the shop to try and repair my smashed up one with rat nibbles all over it =P

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Qualitek :D heard of them?? they have the best rating in Auston on citysearch and yelp... hopefully they live up to it

thanks guys btw :D can't wait for the semi-finished product

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
lithium14;1733928 said:
Qualitek :D heard of them?? they have the best rating in Auston on citysearch and yelp... hopefully they live up to it

Where's Auston? :)

I'm not familiar with it, but it's a long ways from me. The reviews do look good though.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
LoL yeah... we shall see... we shall see :D I have done my part and prepped it as best I can... I don't even want them to install anything... just to fix the damage, paint and make sure everything fits straight...

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
mobes;1733934 said:
Where's Auston? :)

I'm not familiar with it, but it's a long ways from me. The reviews do look good though.

Auston is half way between Austin and Houston ... lol.:confused:

Actually it's Austin but some folks call it Auston like a buddy of mine that moved there 6 years ago. He spelled it Auston until someone finally corrected him.:yelrotflm

Here's an example: they spell it correctly in the body but misspell it in the header
http://kgnb.am/news/large-development-planned-east-auston-along-texas-hwy-130-toll-road

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Auston LoL....

No just the foam inside the cover was shattered...

So the shop wants everything so they can install it after fixing to make sure all the parts fit correctly =O I guess that's ok...

and now I'm driving around a big ass Charger cuz that's all enterprise had :(.... thing has the semi auto where you can push the lever left or right in drive to manually shift... weird LoL it IS nice to have working electronics tho!! good sound LoL

I am on supra withdrawals... fml :(... I miss her already

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
anyone ever rebuild an auto transmission themselves??.... boostlogic wants 3k for a rebuild and IPT's rebuild is better but costs almost 3700 fml