88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Welcome to SM Aristotle!

A MK3 can make a good daily driver, especially an NA, that way you can fix small items and still be able to enjoy the experience of a Supra.

Lithium's supra is definitely lucky to have him as an owner, as I've seen abused Supras that are absolutely falling apart, and then you get the rare gem every now and then. Don't be afraid of a MK3 Supra, but definitely be prepared.

with that said, you can change your settings to show 50 posts per page, (Your reply is on page 10 for me :D)

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
*internet blush

Golly guys thanks for the kind words and support!!! =D

Welcome to SM Aristotle, again!!! And no, your first post was not shabby at all!! again, thank you for the kind words and support!! I say, go for it on the MK3 dreams!! I have to agree about the lines/looks of the MK3. I recognize that the MK4 is considered one of the more beautiful sports cars, but somehow I really (and forgive me MK4 crowd) think that the MK3 has better, more angular and most importantly AGGRESSIVE lines. The MK4 is too round and soft looking IMO. This of course does not play into the fact I WILL own a MK4 in the future =P

as for my baby... Sometimes I look at it now and find myself wondering where the "pretty blue supra" that sat on the driveway for 5 years went. LoL I'm sure all Supra owners also have this issue: everytime I look at the Supra, I sink into a daydream of all the ideas of upgrades and improvement that I want to do... and then I despair at the lack of funds. Somedays I am tempted to try my luck at the lottery or something, but I know in my heart nothing will feel better than working on the Supra MYSELF with money I worked hard for. (though as of this moment, I am still in my mind, leeching off the government because they owe me four years of my life muahaha!!!).

Also on the MK3, I know many times people say oh it's such an old car, you will be biting off more than you can chew, but you must remember, at the end of the day, it is still a Toyota. With proper maintenance, they will last very very long. IMO the only reason the MK3 ha such a large reliability issue reputation is 1.the stock HG torque fiasco and 2.it is a sports car that takes more abuse from its owners more than any other Toyota of its time. Simply put, HG aside, most issues with MK3's are problems easily attributed to lack of proper maintenance, my Supra is a PRIME example of this. I can honestly say that nothing I have had to replace or fix on the Supra has anything to do with poor manufacturing or poor quality of OE parts. What I am trying to say is, address the main maintenance focus points (and you can even see these on dealership long-term maintenance plans) and you will be golden.

LoL @ you guys though... I too, have just been enlightened to the ability to customize the number of posts per page!!! LMAO!!! (then again it also took me 6 months to find out that I can pick and choose skins for the site!!!! o_O)

Alright, next post I will show pics... and some interesting happenings.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I had mine on 20 for a long time. But i just switched back. Makes the pages with lots of pictures load 2x as fast.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Wheels in the works...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Failed clearcoating...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

ugh... I'm just gonna stick with polishing...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

hope this will keep water and wind out... and dirt... and wasps....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

o_O

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last wheel is done

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Took off my exhaust... so I am running open elbow right now... VERY CAREFULLY. Driving around like I'm breaking it in again. I really hope I don't burn something up. Really hoping my BIC DDP gets in soon

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Finished product... fresh polish and not a single chip or scratch on the painted parts

Still trying to get all the goo foam off my car from the old moulding... and still waiting on my spoiler gaskets and mounting hardware before I attempt to modify the bolt holes to make the fitment better. I can't wait to get a new transmission... even with my old dying one, I squeal all through first gear on a 3/4 throttle take off, and no I wasn't even trying, and it was def not close to full throttle. I dare not for fear my trans will completely poop out. I have to admit thought, the shifting is still clean and consistent, so nothing wrong with the actual trans I think. Maybe just the torque converter. Then again, the squealing probably has a lot to do with the fact my trunk is completely stripped out so there is literally no weight on the rear tires lmao. Anyways. I'm just rambling.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

oh yeah... I also completely bolted everything on with gaskets. And I think, that it doesn't look too bad. Once I get the trim I will try it all on. Should be ok.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Wow those have to be the sexiest sawblades I've ever seen. Great job Andrew. But I know I shouldn't expect anything less from you. Keep up the terrific work.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

CyFi6;1740924 said:
God damn...I just learn this after 4 years on here. Thank you!

LOL...I've been here over 6 and I never knew that either. Learn something new every day.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thanks so much man!!! All credit to the original person who decided to do accented sawblades... actually some came like that from factory... very very rare =P

Artistotle

Jul 25, 2011
Suburbs, PA
Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

Can somebody tell me how to activate getting emails when this thread gets a post? I was not getting anything and was wondering why the thread was so silent, then i finally checked it tonight and voila lol. Thanks for the posts per page suggestion too!

Fortunately I have a daily driver already so I won't have to put a mk3 through the rigors of such.

Something i've been wondering is which mk3 the preferred model? The original (starting in 86.5), or the update (post 88 or 89 i believe). I know that the update receives the nicer taillights, the different front bumper cover, side moldings that match body color, however they lose the adjustable ride stiffness controller and the supermonitor, but I believe these were both only options on the TT anyways, which I don't plan on buying. Also, were the post 88's only available with red or blue interiors? I'd like a car with black interior.

In my quest for a project car i'd love something with good support for engine swapping, which is another thing i like about the mk3, i'd probably throw a 1jz-gte in there somewhere down the line.

I'm gonna go out on a limb though and defend the mk4 as being the best in terms of looks and performance (or potential for performance) out of any non-exotic available from the 90's...or even up against anything from the 80's!

Awesome job on the sawblades btw...Only thing i'm concerned about is the longevity of the black finish. Seems like rock chips and wear/tear from driving will make it flake off. Nice concept though, for sure! Good work on the side mirrors as well. But...think of those poor homeless wasps now! :(

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Brandon was just telling me about a 92 black on black with low miles that he saw for sale somewhere up here. You can ask him where. Milwaukee hits me for some reason. But the price was real reasonable. It was a cop repo back in 99 and they have it for sale.

The 1jzgte is a good idea. A much easier install than the 2jzgte and Brandon after tuning his put down 643 RWHP which isn't bad. I know he can't wait to get mine on the dyno once he's finished with her since she's pulling like a bat outta hades. He may still have a 1jz in his shop I remember he had one for sale or that he could install.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
ugh.... I made a HUGE mistake... when you guys hear this you're all going to be like "you n00b!!!!!!!"... seriously it's THAT bad. Like I couldn't sleep all last night because I was so disappointed in my own stupidity.

Basically. I was having fitment issues with the DDP. At first, when I tried to bolt it on, I noticed once I had tightened to a certain point, the flange of the DDP was not moving any closer to the surface of the turbo. The gap was at least 1/16th of an inch. At that point I tried to use washers under the nuts because I thought I had run out of threads. When that failed, I assumed the dividing tab was contacting the inner surface of the turbo prematurely, preventing the DDP from sealing. In the end this was correct, however the path I took to fix it was totally epically wrong. Instead of using some form of putty to determine where the point of early contact was, I assumed it was the long edge of the tab (where it makes contact with the face of the turbo) and summarily filed off about 1/16th of an inch off the tab (yes, that is your cue to *facepalm*). Once again, this failed to allow the DDP to seal... and upon examination of the turbo itself, I realized there was a build up of carbon that I assumed was just in the right spot to block the tab. After a couple hours of picking and chiseling at the protrusion, I finally got if off (albeit there was still some left over, the base of the build-up so to speak), and again the DDP refused to seal. I must now point out that by "not sealing" I mean, I had the nuts tightened all the way and I could still see into the gap between flange and turbo (yes the gasket was there). So after searching my house high and low, I found some eraser putty (malleable eraser), and used that to see what was up. The protrusion did not in fact affect the tab at all, and I discovered that the premature points of contact were the driver side of the tab, specifically where it flares out to meet the flange. So, back to the file. I finally got the DDP to start moving closer to the turbo, so I knew I was on the right track. Finally I had filed enough off the get the DDP just BARELY from sealing (or so I thought). I had forgotten to keep in mind that the gasket has an inner edge of its own (it has 3 thin layers of metal that are kept together by another layer that is folded over, this fold is very narrow). I mistook this inner edge as me being able to still see into the gap (I was using a green laser to determine if I had closed the gap). SO, with this in mind, that means I had 2 filing sessions too much.

Result: Exhaust leak even after warming up. FML. I just took her out for a drive too. I am having a hard time determining if what I'm hearing is Tanabe or the drone of exhaust leak. and when the wastegate opens, it sounds VERY raspy, not sure if that is an effect of an unsealed divider tab.

The good news, she spools FREAKING FAST. and of course the lovely fuel cut is ever there to smash my hopes and dreams

words cannot describe how awful I feel right now... And the fact that the tanabe exhaust is rubbing on the subframe is not helping at all... so much fail.

;'(

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
My car had the same problem by the rear subframe. The 3 inch exhaust touched the rear subframe where it has a little curve that the stock exhaust would go too. I hit it a couple times after heating it up with a torch and made a bevel. You can do it without a torch but it would just take a few more hits.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Don't sweat it, I've done plenty of noobish things, we all have.

The flanges have some adjustment too, you can loosen them, tweak them, and tighten them. I had to do that a couple times with my HKS exhaust to get it to fit just right. That might be all it needs to avoid the subframe.

I can add some material back on to that tab with the welder if you want to bring it by. I know it's kinda tough to do now that you're running it on the car though.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Jon, you are a lifesaver =D. Is next week good for you? (this upcoming week) I have a week off of school. And I will have to see if I can figure out how much is needed exactly... and make a mold of the inner surface of the turbo. I can just put the stock elbow back on, also do you think you can also weld a tab onto my other ddp that is all kindsa messed up? (i have special plans for that one har har)

as for the exhaust... I really don't see any way of avoiding the contact spot because the whole angle from the ddp is wrong (too far to driver side) also the can is lopsided because the tanabe flanges were not welded on at the same angle as the pipe edges, so I am now hammering the flanges a bit to get the angle corrected so hopefully my exhaust won't sit crooked. As for the contact point, I'm just going to put a silicone sleeve on the spot and secure it nice n tight.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I gotta say.. Im proud of ya!

I bought my car thinking.. yep.. gonna get this baby up to standards and then maintain it.. its a worthy car far worthier than my 2000 Accord was.

And then.. I ran into stuff like you did (however.. you knew ahead of time that your car was neglected... I found out the hard way)

Lots of time.. lots of money here and there.. and odd bits of frustration. But.. I walk outside.. look at my car.. face to face.. and regret NOTHING.

Keep up the good work!

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
lithium14;1745625 said:
Jon, you are a lifesaver =D. Is next week good for you? (this upcoming week) I have a week off of school. And I will have to see if I can figure out how much is needed exactly... and make a mold of the inner surface of the turbo. I can just put the stock elbow back on, also do you think you can also weld a tab onto my other ddp that is all kindsa messed up? (i have special plans for that one har har)

as for the exhaust... I really don't see any way of avoiding the contact spot because the whole angle from the ddp is wrong (too far to driver side) also the can is lopsided because the tanabe flanges were not welded on at the same angle as the pipe edges, so I am now hammering the flanges a bit to get the angle corrected so hopefully my exhaust won't sit crooked. As for the contact point, I'm just going to put a silicone sleeve on the spot and secure it nice n tight.

Monday or Wednesday evening works, Tuesday I have puppy school and Thurs-Sat is Lone Star Ruby Conference. Whatever you need welded, I can probably do it. If you want, we can also try to fix the flange angles by cutting and re-welding.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
uh oh... code 34... i blew something -_-....

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

i think i blew my ic piping off... shit

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
OK... PROBLEMS:

IC piping is fine, except there is a lot of sludge right off from the turbo. The compressor shaft itself has very noticeable lateral play and does not spin freely for more than 3-4 seconds.

there was some oil on the column of the afm and I fear this may be the cause of my running rough. I am uploading vids right now, but here's the gist of what's going on. In idle, if I leave her be, the engine will begin to die after a few secs, but revives very quickly with a little throttle. Also depending on how much gas I give it especially quick spikes, engine will want to die again... having gone through one broken afm already, I get the feeling this is what is happening, though a little differently from before.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
K here are the pics that matter as of now... older pics will be posted at a later date/

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The tab before I ruined it

sm_photo_missing.jpg

here you can see the lump of carbon I thought was the culprit

sm_photo_missing.jpg

hmmm coolant leak at the turbo? (also noticed the radiator itself was leaking... hence my overflow tank flooding issues)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

where the exhaust hits the subframe

sm_photo_missing.jpg

crooked exhaust... :(

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Sludge....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
QUESTIONS!!!

How do you attach AN fitttings to transmission/powersteering hardlines????
Anyone know the PSI rating I need for said lines? I think steering needs over 1k psi correct? wut about trans lines?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Those ic pipes dont look to bad. mine where full of oil.

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

sorry i know nothing about autos