88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
sorry been really busy with school... I called the adjuster again, and she said tomorrow is the end of the 6 business day time cuz she can't contact the girls mom?? so she is going to make her decision tomorrow and call me. I'm gonna try and collect all the pieces I need.

in other news, 1200 miles on the new headgasket and no issues except for one that I don't think is related to the HG. I began to notice my AC wasn't blowing as cool, and then one day when it was super hot (100+) I lost a lot of coolant out of the overflow after going WOT. Then I went to refill and noticed the build up in the overflow is different from before, not as sludgy and brown, more black and grainy... and then after I refilled with fresh coolant/water, the AC again blew cold as hell and I no longer lost coolant on WOT... odd??

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Alright good news, the insurance has accepted liability, so tomorrow morning I go to get the inspection :D any tips before I go??

in other news, i just noticed in the garage that when I turn the steering wheel there is a hissing noise... only when the wheel is in motion does it hiss... I can't determine where it's coming from :(

got my plan mapped out... hopefully by end of summer I will have this current phase completely done, then I can move onto trans and suspension phase :D

AND I also wanna try and organize some meets here in Austinthat will coincide with next years Formula One races at the Circuit of the Americas, for those of you who don't know about this, enjoy:
http://circuitoftheamericas.com/overview.html

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Alright, updates... decided to do some work this weekend

got my metal centercaps yes i did :D
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

first one after a full polish job

sm_photo_missing.jpg

upper plenum off

sm_photo_missing.jpg

old and new csi.... found some fitment issues

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I can fit the new one backwards... but here's my question... the nozzles look different on each side, so does it matter which one is facing which direction??

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The cleanest I have ever seen my coolant =O

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

trying to figure out how to place the little vacuum thingy....

feedback is welcome ppls!!!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Iirc you put the screw so its just barely touching or not touching at all and when you push in the throttle the stop pushes down on it and when you let off the throttle the things pushes up on the throttle a tad to sort of not let the throttle plate go down all the way making for a smoother return to idle and no stalling.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
thanks hvyman.... I think I got it :D we'll see... and as for the CSI, will it work? at least temporarily?... or do I HAVE to have a gte CSI?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Hey Andrew, I think I have a GTE CSI.. Let me check tomorrow and if I do Ill send it your way.. I got a ton just laying here and must have grabbed that one.. Ill PM ya tomorrow.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
got the first and second grit of sanding done on the upper today :D gonna go up to 1000 tomorrow then put her back together...

Also replaced my leaky heater valve on the lower coolant hose from it as well... and put some worm clamps on my leaky breather tubes :p

Hey devin did you get a chance to see if you had a GTE csi?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Ok i got her all put back togehter.. and I turn the key to start it... NOTHING... idk why :(((((((( i don't think the battery is discharged too much... I've had it sitting longer than two days before so. I kinda hear this knock just once when i turn the key, not a click... the started doesnt crank at all.... I know theres fuel going cuz I had a leak from the CSI and then after I hear this very quiet click coming from around the egr are idk wut it is :((((( help!!

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You Either need a new starter or check your grounds to the body and engine.

When you crank, do the lights go off? If so, check you terminal connections and if they are good, maybe the battery is drained.

If all checks out good, you will need a new starter but you can get it rebuilt for cheap. You should have a local starter and alternator place that can do it in your area. Google will help you find that.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
oh dear... I think it might be the battery... I went to put the key in and all the lights were super dim and the beeping was like dying lmao... so gonna wait for roommate to get back and get a jump.. hopefully that solves the problem :/

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Awesome thanks Devin :D ... as for my car, was just a dead battery :D... engine bay is almost complete for current stage just need that CSI hehe k gnight

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Aight while we wait for csi stuff and money, here's a few shot of my completed engine bay... the only change for under the hood stuff i n the next several months is going to be a genuine HKS ssqv4 and BIC downpipe if ya'll like em, I might throw em over to the engine bay thread :D

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

thanks!! :D

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Super clean.

For a sec there i thought the bov vac line was going to the charcoal canister lol(2nd pic)

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
thanks for the kind words guys!!! sorry so late in replying... been really busy with school. In other news, my exhaust (tanabe hyper medallion) is on the way, as is a rerouted BIC ddp with test pipe. My jdm tails are also on the way and once I pick up the bumper stuff from SA Supra I will be good to go to drop the car off at the body shop and get all the my little pieces painted as well. End of july is going to be a good time :D I'm hoping to find some time and finish my wheels too... gotta finish the polish job on the centercaps and the rims themselves, then final coat of black contrast and clear coat with glisten PC...