88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thanks guys!!! means a lot!! :D as for the BOV... *sigh I am saving up for a real HKS SSQV :D since the adapter I have right now is for HKS... had some more fun today. 90% humidity sucks though... but I did take her up to around 135, fastest I've ever gone... was afraid to go any faster lmao :p

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
whoa... been awhile. I was looking at tial's but i already have the HKS adapter pipe so... *shrug whatever works man. I did get a 90 degree coupler in today so I can finally get rid of the huge pinch in the IC piping I had from IC to turbo.... now I think I may need a straight pipe... all I have are curved ones. So the exhaust i was hoping to get was sold... so... it's gonna be while before anything happens in this thread as I save up for a BIC DDP and tanabe exhaust. Hopefully this weekend I can finish the upper intake mani, and then I'll post up pics :D

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Hey man, how's it going?? Just read through all your updates and I have to say, the car looks REAL good. The polished saws makes all the difference! Glad to hear the car's running good and I'm callin' BS on the 135 mph run. We all know the weak ol' 7M isn't capable of such speed as a BHG would occur before anything. :sarcasm: Do it again and post a vid and maybe we'll believe you LOL.

As for the A340E, once again, my apologies man. I know that was one hell of a wait for absolutely nothing. The tranny just sits there now...

lithium14;1711040 said:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Did you remove these to paint? What did you use to paint them? I likes! :thumbup:

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thanks for the good words man!!! Actually ... let me know wut the shipping for the a340e is again... since I've decided to stay 7M for a bit, I'm going to need a new trans, this one whines and squeals and clicks like a dying seal lmao. perhaps I will post a vid... gonna need a copilot though unless I can find a way to rig my camera just right... but then it won't be very impressive i mean... compared to some of the other vids I've seen -_-

the trim painting... I left them on, just did some very careful taping off and lotsa newspaper. The black satin trim paint I used is super durable... and I think that me primering it was unnecessary since its designed to adhere to bare metal... I also sprayed on like... 6 coats since clearly this is a high wear area. If you look very closely at the first pic, you will notice spots on the thin area between actual metal and body paint (the rubber? flap thingy) where I had to cut the paint on the actual trim from the paint on the tape. The paint itself is so durable and flixible that it was peeling off the said area as i pulled the tape off... hence why I think primer was unnecesarry becasue it was peeling off below the primer layer ... does that make sense?? lmao

and I have decided that my poor engine needs to be able to SPEAK... the stock exhaust is not doing the growling of my engine justice... seriously it sounds pitiful in a garage >_<

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

oh yeah I got rear ended today too... it was at a stoplight and the light turned green, but the guy in front of me wasn't moving so neither was I. Well the girl behind me decided to move... and hit me, it felt pretty bad, but upon inspection there was no dmg... except to her license plate lmao. If you look super close, you can see the imprint of her license plate in my bumper, but like i said there was no structural dmg to the bumper itself or anything around it. I think the distance between her and the speed she hit me at was too minimal for anything serious to have occurred.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Exact same thing happened to my 92, the lady thought green means go no matter what, since I had the car in gear, but my foot on the clutch, I thought I stalled. So I tried to turn it on and got that CCRRRRRRRRR sound when you start the car twice. Looked in my mirror and noticed the car was rreeeeeaaaalllyyy close and then it sunk in...

No real damage, just a few smudges from her plastic bumper (Jeep Grand Cherokee), got $200 out the deal..:D

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Sucks about being rear ended, glad there was no damage. If you use a heat gun on the bumper it'll probably take out the imprint. Of course since you were going to get it painted at some point it's probably not a big deal anyhow.

A few years ago, TWO DAYS IN A ROW on my way to work at the SAME INTERSECTION, the straight lanes turned green, but the left turn arrow stayed red, the second car back hit the gas and rear ended the car in front of them. Same thing that happened here. Luckily I was in one of the straight lanes both times. I was just baffled by the fact that it would happen in front of me two days in a row at the same intersection. Seriously what are the chances?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
*sigh at ppl LoL ... so I have the most annoying brake squeal... might have to take a look at the brakes this weekend (been happening for awhile now). Gonna finish up the engine bay this weekend as well, then finish letting the engine breathe, then trans... also have a first start of the day issue, that first start is always a hard start, its almost like the fuel in the lines just fade away overnight, making me have to give it gas to fire up... :/

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
lithium14;1715827 said:
*sigh at ppl LoL ... so I have the most annoying brake squeal... might have to take a look at the brakes this weekend (been happening for awhile now). Gonna finish up the engine bay this weekend as well, then finish letting the engine breathe, then trans... also have a first start of the day issue, that first start is always a hard start, its almost like the fuel in the lines just fade away overnight, making me have to give it gas to fire up... :/

cold start injector. My Mk2's went out & everytime i try to start it on cold, it sounds like a carburetor because i have to keep cranking it. Once hot it starts right up.

If thats your case replace it.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
well... after some thought... no work this weekend, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy it. I need a new cold start injector and a new tb gasket to finish the upper plenum, and since I have to wait two weeks before I can afford to get those items, I'm gonna postpone the work until I have ALL the peices to do it all in one shot.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Ok so after seeing JDMMA70's wheels, I regained the motivation to finish my wheels... however I have come upon so issues :(

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

preview of the center with unfinished cap...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

literally spent an hour using a razor to cut out the precise edges of the "blades" of the "saw"

sm_photo_missing.jpg

upon peeling the paint off... and plus I realized some areas, the paint just turned to dust and stuck to the metal instead of coating it... som elight rubbing and it just comes off (yes I cleaned it very well, sanded with 320 and sprayed with brake cleaner)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I'm going to experiment and see if I should spray the paint on with the wheel standing up and without tape... and just sanding/polishing the paint off the areas I don't want it.

suggestions welcome :D

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Seems like a lot of trouble to get the "blades" section painted lol. The all polished look better, imo.

As for the tranny, my bro is going to get the shipping quote FOR SURE sometime next week. I'll need your shipping address again, PM me whenever.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
LoL you'll see once I get em completely done :D and I'll pm you here in a bit

has anyone had the issue with horrible groaning sounds from the brakes after cleaning them? I sprayed my brakes down with brake cleaner in the hopes of getting rid of the squeal... and instead of squeal now its got a really loud groan when the car moves a little under brake pressure (does that makes sense?)

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Sounds like cracked pads to me.. Mine growls from occasion to occasion, ended up being cracked pads.. Im on my 4th set from auto zone.. Gotta love lifetime free replacement for a 19.00 set of brake pads.

If the pads don't have the stick on shims they will squeal like crazy. I think the set is 9.00 from rockauto.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
ugh.. im so sick of fighting with my centercaps and trying to get them to match the polished aluminum... fml I just wish I could find a set of the rare aluminum centercaps... I'm about to start pm'ing the people who said they had them in super old threads... maybe one of them will have moved on to better rims and still has their metal caps...

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
YES!!!! desperate last attempt is SUCCESSFUL!!!! All thanks to ValgeKotkas!! Hopefully soon I'll get a set of metal caps all the way from Estonia!!! WEEEEERRRDDDDD

talk about a great Memorial Day

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Fuck... just got rearended again!!!! Wtf... this time there is much more damage... the fender is smashed in. My brakelights are popped out and the hatch doesn't close all the way... I got her policy number... idk ut else to get. Totally at a loss right now.... the girl is in my class so if I need anything else I'll see her tomorrow... help!!!!

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

I got pics too... after I parked in a parking lot... >_<