88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Hey haven't had a chance to check the timing yet. My plan to finish up the upper intake mani which includes draining the coolant so i can get the timing cover off has been postponed by lack of funds :( hopefully i can get to mobes place this week to do the timing with the light etc.

k pics... since my plan to finish the engine bay is postponed, I will post some progress pics:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
Finally some pics! Nice! I was starting to have withdrawals... have you tried fitting your factory under cover with the new intercooler installed? Any clearance issues if you have tried it?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
I just checked, the intercooler itself fits fine, but the piping to the turbo is in the way, so I think some cutting may be in order :(

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
lithium14;1711107 said:
I just checked, the intercooler itself fits fine, but the piping to the turbo is in the way, so I think some cutting may be in order :(

Was just curious. Thanks for letting me know. Yet another argument for the straight thru inter-cooler and FFIM I'm planning. Check out my build thread:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...esto-modification-build&p=1711023#post1711023
Been collecting parts for about 6 months and starting to make some progress of my own:)

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
wtf my fuel gauge just died... i know for a fact it's not empty, but it reads empty... would a hard fast turn to the right cause the fuel level thingy to get stuck?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
fixed it!!! just cleaned the coils a little and bent the contact a bit on the fuel sender unit.. now I smell like gas >_<

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
K I have developed a coolant leak from the heater vacuum valve...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

... need a new one cuz I don't think its leaking from the hoses... unless someone else has opinions

this is from yesterday when I cleaned the fuel sender unit
sm_photo_missing.jpg

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Alright, I have 40 some more miles left until the last retorque. School starts next week so I'm going to put things I want done on paper so I won't have to keep rethinking ideas for the Supra.

Opinions from the community will be much appreciated, that said here I go:

I am going to sideline thoughts of a 2JZ swap for now, since I am REALLY hoping to own a MK4 in the future, and having both cars with the same engine would be rather lame IMO. That said, I am willing to invest in a few more BPU's that are engine specific, this includes my plan to finish allowing the engine to breath properly. Currently I have the Apexi intake supplemented by 2.5in IC piping, but with stock exhaust piping. I will give the car a couple hundred miles on stock boost with stock exhaust after the final retorque to see how it behaves, then if all is well, I may bolt on a tanabe exhaust and perhaps a BIC DDP, for a full 3in exhaust system. If all is still well after that I MAY up the boost by shimming the stock wastegate. However this plan must also run alongside my other plans as follows:

I am hoping to upgrade my suspension with tokico illumina shocks that are TEMS compatible and replace my springs with either Eibachs or B&G's (opinions on either?). This setup, from what I have read, lowers about .5 to 1in in the rear and 1 to 1.5in in the front, which is PERFECT for Austin roads, which are NOT conducive for slammed status. Also is the matter of the linkages and bushings... this is something that may have to go on long term status as the downtime required for this job would be too long. Speaking of long downtimes is the issue of my transmission. I had plans to purchase a cheap a340e and build it on the side then swap it in. This one may have to be upgraded to short term status as who knows when my current one will die on me (note: only issues with my current trans is: no shifting when cold, rough shifting that's it).

What else... ah Body Work... all these are luxury upgrades that are chilling as long term status. These include and are not limited to respray on all bumpers, quarter panels, mudflap panels, mirrors, 89+ wing, and pretty much the entire car hahaha!!

SO, as we stand right now in order:
1. Finish engine breathing upgrades (BIC DDP, Tanabe medallion exhaust)
2. Purchase a340e or similar 7M-GTE compatible auto transmission
3. Build said trans
4. Purchase suspension upgrades and install (tokico Illumina shocks, Eibach/B&G springs)
5. Install trans when complete

At this point... It may be time to take a break and reassess. Hopefully Jasmine runs well up to this point...

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
I think your plan sounds good. I'll definitely second the 3" exhaust. Best money you can spend on a 7M IMO.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
OH

MY

GOD

I just took her out after finishing the final retorque and... what a rush!!!! I can really feel the increase in power and the engine has never sounded meaner :evil2:

My heart is still racing right now.... LoL I can only hope this lasts!!!

so to summarize, today I got the fumoto valve installed (with yet another oil change), trimmed and polished my 3000 pipe, generally cleaned up the engine bay as well as retorqued the headbolts to 80ft/lbs. I realized my sticky gas pedal was due to the springs on my throttle linkages needing some lube, so that was resolved as well. I am ready for school and the next phase of upgrades!!!! pics to come later

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
AHH!!! shhhhhh!!!! do not speak of such things... she might hear >_< LoL!!! oh hey I totally forgot to ask you for the TEMS covers, so lmk whenever ur free so i can get those done for you and perhaps take a look at ur interior pieces again... i discovered yet more damage to the middle piece in the trunk :( hopefully you haven't dumped em yet lmao

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
LoL, if it's any consolation, I plan on upgrading the rear end to 89+ (I have a set of jdm tails being held for me and the wing sitting in the garage :D) but thank you!!! I wish I could do more NOW anyways, pics as promised:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

In the process of cutting off the mounting tabs, I sawed too close for comfort, literally felt like I have barely 1/8th of an inch... so I filled in the wound with JB Weld... good thing it's on the underside where it's not noticeable

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

and the finished product... all the way from 80 by hand (which sucked) then 120 with a sander, and 220 with hand on to 2000... took me all day

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

engine bay put back together after the final retorque

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Clearance of the fumoto valve... I think I can afford an inch or two drop...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

couldn't get it to line up with the tab on top, but I think side is ok too

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

OH yeah one thing I noticed... that knockoff BOV sucks.... like literally sucks... I can hear it blow off on full boost, but then you can hear the compressor surge continue after... idk if it's because it closes too slowly?? I'm not to experienced in terms of BOV performance, but I know that trilling sound is not BOV blowoff sound... its the same compressor surge I had when my stock BOV was stuck open