88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Again..?!?! Wow, what's the story? Definitely print out all the pictures and show them to your insurance adjuster to show how clean this example was...

unless it was because your taillights were too dark, that might bite you in the ass....

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Hey... yeah I'm not expecting too much. I called up my insurance and the adjuster person should get back to me by tomorrow. I think I can salvage the brakelights... the bumper maybe not. And what's going to need body work is the panelling above the bumper... I'm going to bump up the jdm tails in priority. I think the trim can be salvaged too since its flexible... (no choice really, don't want to do a full 89+ swap -_-) its not too big a deal, there's no performance hindering damage... its just looks so sad :( poor car.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

I'll count myself lucky if I get any money out of this... how does it work, do they send me money??

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Aight I got pics

sm_photo_missing.jpg

What I saw initially... talk about heart rending :((((

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here you can see how far in the back panel got pushed

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

So I got news that in Texas, no matter what, the person doing the rear-ending is at fault. Also because we were both at a full stop, and I hadn't moved when she hit me, so clearly she had seen my brake lights, and was stopped. Hopefully it all works out. Also... does anyone think that the there might be damage to the actual frame of the supra?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
yeah.... gonna have a good look tomorrow morning... but I also noticed (as prompted by jdmma70) that the panel right behind the driver side poor is push forward, so that when i open the door, it drop slightly and the glass rubs against the plastic trim panel right behind the window... fml

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Definitely looks worse in the interior pics..

from the outside it looks like bumper damage only, but your spare tire well caved in a bit, and as you mentioned, your driver's side door hits the panel now.

could be possible frame damage..

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
So I took a closer look today... I can't really tell, but if there is frame damage, it's very slight. I'm going to try and get some estimates from notable body shops around town (google search and any shop that hass 100% 5 star rating with 30 or more reviews, my number one choice has 168 reviews with 5 stars and the highest rating possible in all categories). Since my insurance policy doesn't cover crashes, I have to file a claim with her insurance company... and for some reason the policy number I got isn't a policy number... I could have sworn the number I wrote down was labeled as "policy number" on her insurance paper... oh well I'll talk to her later today in class.

what really sucks is all my motivation for schoolwork is gone... I tried to write the rough draft of my essay last night and right now... and I just can't concentrate enough to even link my thoughts together... fml

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I'd maybe consider going to the stock colored tail lights, I noticed on mine, despite being completely brand new that the light output, especially in Texas I'd imagine, is marginal at best during the day.

Could just be my experience with idiotic Columbus area drivers though...

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
oh yeah I totally agree with the taillights.. I am in fact upgrading to 89+ jdm tails. Just gotta save up the money to buy em... unless i can use the insurance money :D

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
alright... Got the claim started an estimate by the best body shop in this area... about 2400. This includes a new bumper cover, center garnish and all the labor/paint/supplies.. not as bad as I thought. They said if I can get my own bumper and or taillight garnish that cost will be deducted. I'm planning on getting jdm tails so I'm not worried about that.... but I will need new bumper *sigh funny that my rear end is prob gonna get fixed before my front end... Now I just gotta wait for the adjuster to call me and negotiate the deal.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
ooooo do tell!!! :D is that junkyard one? not sure if that one is still there but I'm def gonna check it out asap... btw lmk if you still have all them trunk interior pieces, namely the center... and perhaps the wood board too, mine got crushed :( and I still gotta get them TEMS gaskets for you... agh keep forgetting

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
My red one. Dude two weeks ago I broke the wood platforms into pieces and trashed it. Last week I sawed all the left over parts into pieces. I couldn't find the center piece I think my bro in law took it.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
oh... LoL np!! hmm think i can get that bumper from you :p... I gotta stop by sometime to get them gaskets done for you...

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
lithium14;1718182 said:
ooooo do tell!!! :D is that junkyard one? not sure if that one is still there but I'm def gonna check it out asap... btw lmk if you still have all them trunk interior pieces, namely the center... and perhaps the wood board too, mine got crushed :( and I still gotta get them TEMS gaskets for you... agh keep forgetting

Hey Andrew, I have the center hatch piece and a good piece of wood to put back in there. Let me know if you want to add those to the list of things you were gonna get from me and we'll work it out. Just send me a Pm or something.... sorry about all this for you, really. Almost makes me nervous to get mine back on the road after all the hard work I'm gettin' ready to put into it:(