5 years of Supra ownership... How long have you been in the game?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well, today, December 7th, 194..er, scratch that, 2010, I have been a Supra owner for 5 years. Crazy to think, of all the stories I could tell... 5 years ago, I didn't know my head from my ass when it came to working on cars (some of my old threads would attest to this), but thanks to my always pleasant to work on Mk3's (they're great teachers haha), I've picked up a few things.

Just makes me wish I could have grown up driving one of these instead of waiting until I was 22 to pick one up...

So, how long has this horrible addiction afflicted you?

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
Had mine for almost 5 years, my dad had bought one and sold it when i was 17, i fell in love with it lol worked my ass off when i was 18 and bought mine. Will be parting it out soon....plan on getting a hard top after that. Lol i thought i was a pretty good mechanic before i started working on it, then i found out i knew nothing lol

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Technically I've never owned a Supra, it's always belonged to my Dad. That being said, I've been "in the game" so to speak seriously since around '98-99'ish I think, though I was an "enthusiast" long before that.

I remember when my dad picked up his 86 MK2 from the dealership in like 90-91'ish, it was cool. Then after he sold it, I remember going with him to look and pick out a replacement MK3, and we finally found the one he/I worked on in 1998 IIRC. I've been into Toyotas/Supras/AE86's since I was around 4-5. I was born in '86.

Jeff

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
15 years. It's been out of commision the last 8 1/2 years waiting for her first breath of fresh forced air. It's a big part of my 20's memory. It's had alot of poon sit in that passenger seat through those years. Lots of memories.... lots. I'm sad now.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Shit, now I'm starting to feel really old. I bought my first Supra in... lemme think... dammit, must have been the early 90's. It was after the first marriage crumbled like ice re-entering the atmosphere, so probably '92. Six more Mk2s followed, then my old Mk3, then this car. So that would be... 18 years and counting. The car before that was still a Toyota - got an 82 Celica, 22R, that was eventually retired with over a million miles on the clock.

jackmk2mk3

being supra-less sucks
Jan 14, 2010
Fullerton, CA
Been an enthusiast since '97 when my dad brought home the 85 in my pictures. Became a (slight) obsession when I started driving her in 2006 at the beginning of my junior year of HS, and I've been trying my damnedest to save up for another one since she was stolen my senior year. Granted, not much progress has been made since I'm out of a job right now. Right now I'm in the process of joining the Marine Corps, so I figure I'll make some headway once i get in.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
GrimJack;1647313 said:
It was after the first marriage crumbled like ice re-entering the atmosphere, so probably '92.

OMG! Really! Exact same story here, even to the year. I bought my first Supra (85 MKII) in 1992, as my first marriage collapsed. I drove that one for the next 7 years, and never once turned a wrench on it, until it died. Several MKIII's have followed, and I have never been Supra-less since.