2400 miles of bliss!!!

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Well I have a new addition to the supra garage. Ever since my dream car was killed this summer I have been without a reliable daily driver, not counting the Nissan Titan. I almost bought a gorgous grey mk3 from florida except it was a na. I love Ken's blue, but it's a hardtop.:3d_frown:

Along came a low mileage california car. While it's not 3E5 its just about as close to perfect as a 20 yr old car could be. So I would like to intruduce you all to my new 89. She is a Burgandy, Turbo, Targa 5 speed, ABS, TEM's w/ mint grey leather!!:love:

She's bone stock and the engine bay is filthy, which is not a bad thing being that the less hands that have been in there the better. I ran a carfax and that came back whistle clean. I contacted a auto appraiser and he checked out the car for me. So I flew out on Tuesday to pick her up and drive her back.

I wasn't able to get extra time off from work or arrange for the car to be kept out there like I had wanted (I was hoping to take a week off and make a nice vacation out of the drive back.) Anyways I barely made it back as it was, with flooding rains in California, and AZ.

I exchanged the cash for the keys at 9:30 pm. Arash the owner asked if I wanted to drive it before we consumated the deal. He must of thought I was crazy as I told him I already know how they drive. He pointed me to the 101 and I was off. Man the joy of how well these cars ride and feel is just simply bliss!

The car needs little. A spiky temp gauge caused some worry.:nono: The oil pressure read at just above 40lbs, and the car felt great. Needless to say I was keeping my eyes on the water temp. I got 25mpg @ 80mph, 26mpg @ 80mph and 29 mpg @ 65. So at sunrise in Palm Springs the rain finally quit and the sun was awesome. I took my camera but really didn't stop for shots. Go figure.

As the desert heated up I turned on the A/C(blows ice cold btw) and was cruising along about 1hr outside of Phoenix I noticed the temp was up there. I pulled over and let everything cool down. I called a couple friends in AZ and got into Pheonix as I my mind raced with the dreaded fears of BHG. :: angry :: I pulled into a oil change place and asked them if they could do a compression test(this was already done but I wanted to check it myself). The compression test went great and then they pressure tested the cooling system for leaks.....none!! I breathed a great sigh of relief as I was thinking I would be renting a trailer and truck to get her home, or leave it there and have Clint/Zerocool do the headgasket for me. So I had them replace the thermostat and the waterpump. I got to visit my dad and picked up the car in the morning.

Leaving Pheonix to Tuscon a M5 was in a big hurry and I tagged along doing quite a few 70 to 110-120 pulls. Car ran like a top...well for stock. It was Thursday and I should of had plenty of time to make my 7pm start on Friday. I forget how big tx is. I got stuck in some pretty bad fog, in 8am traffic in San Antonio. What should have been a 30 min turned out to be 2hrs and I started doing the math on how many miles left to go and hours before I had to start. My math concluded that I wasn't going to make it. After 3 phone calls I was able to switch time starts and just barely make it.

Enough yacking already on to some pics. These are the ones Moe took.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

simon

Nov 26, 2009
Joliette,provc. of Québec
Nice car. I bought a mint 92 targa last summer and ended up doing a HG job in the folloing month, wicht turned out into a complete engine work. Did not really mind considering the money i paid for it. How do you like your Titan?I got an 06 SE with the suicide back door. I love it.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Glad you made it to work George since you now have to make up those funds the new supra cost you.

Next tuesday get it cleaned up and get us some more pictures. I know once you put your detailing skillz to work on it, it's going to look awesome.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Awesome find George, this thread needs more pictures :D, and yeah Texas isnt exactly small haha. Glad your trip was good, as for the spiky needle, mine does that sometimes because the plug isnt exactly on there, so if i turn hard enough it may move a bit and spike my gauge all the way.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
buckshotglass;1497664 said:
Glad to hear you made it back with no issues.

:boink: Dave still planning on a trip up your way.

lewis15498;1497677 said:
Congrats on such a good find!

Thanks

hvyman;1497683 said:
nice. 2jz swap time?

Why? Keep 'em clean and maintain them.

simon;1497695 said:
Nice car. I bought a mint 92 targa last summer and ended up doing a HG job in the folloing month, wicht turned out into a complete engine work. Did not really mind considering the money i paid for it. How do you like your Titan?I got an 06 SE with the suicide back door. I love it.

Will have to check yours out. Love the Titan. What color is yours? Smoke here.

LilMissMkIII;1497708 said:
Woo!!!!!

She is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies:

Thanks Kristel.

suprahero;1497711 said:
Glad you made it to work George since you now have to make up those funds the new supra cost you.

Next tuesday get it cleaned up and get us some more pictures. I know once you put your detailing skillz to work on it, it's going to look awesome.

Me too.

JDMMA70;1497729 said:
Awesome find George, this thread needs more pictures :D, and yeah Texas isnt exactly small haha. Glad your trip was good, as for the spiky needle, mine does that sometimes because the plug isnt exactly on there, so if i turn hard enough it may move a bit and spike my gauge all the way.

Thanks Derek. Getting across TX in a day is like trying to eat the 72oz steak in that movie.

ForcedTorque;1497785 said:
So, when do you make the trip to Alabama???????? I need to see this up close. mines kinda running, maybe I could meet you halfway. Lovin the pictures!

Always up for a meet Scott

mdr40z;1497787 said:
looks great, more pics

Thanks. You know how much of a post whore I am.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Awesome George, I'm happy you made it back home with out incident! We where playing phone tag for a little bit! I need to make a trip you're way one day and make my way to visit Scott, as the wife and I are thinking about moving back to Alabama in 3-4 years.

simon

Nov 26, 2009
Joliette,provc. of Québec
This is the engine being rebuild with polished intake. (took a while and boring job!)

p1497927_1.jpg

There a picture of my rig. Are you on ClubTitan? I put a mini lift kit from prg. Maxxis tires and Dick Cepek rims

p1497927_2.jpg

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Zerocool;1497889 said:
Awesome George, I'm happy you made it back home with out incident! We where playing phone tag for a little bit! I need to make a trip you're way one day and make my way to visit Scott, as the wife and I are thinking about moving back to Alabama in 3-4 years.

You ain't from round here is ya boy?

Clint, if you make it to see George, I will definitely make the trip. He's only about 75 miles from me. What part of Bama are you looking at moving to?

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Zerocool;1497889 said:

Move to Iowa. :biglaugh: