2012 Calendar Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
x4 I agree with kai, canu, and bri. You cant just "take over" and then have a new thread started and its all good.

Last edited:

Dani87x

OATHKEEPER III%
Oct 11, 2009
Miami FL
p1766621_1.jpg

p1766621_2.jpg

p1766621_3.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Bri7man;1766562 said:
I wasn't very impressed with a good amount of the supra selections in the 2009 calender, and the angles in the 2010 calender were just terrible in regards to lighting. There were many pics with the side of the car being displayed in the dark with the light hitting the opposite side. It's just painful to see when there are many other beautiful cars with proper shots taken. Tanya has said she has been busy, so I'm wondering if she is going to be able to put ample time into selecting unique Supras with proper lighting, angle and backdrops. I'm hearing the same complaints with other members on the forum. Also if Tanya is passionate about the calender why did she come in so late on it this year? I'm sure there are others with the skills that would be honored to put together this project in good taste.

It just feels rushed and odd.. Judging by the selections in the previous years I would not purchase a calender for the 4 cars that are actually unique and properly shot. I can't ignore the fact that I am not the only one that feels this way from others I have talked to on the forum. I felt I should throw this out there for others that aren't too keen on voicing their own criticisms to hopefully guide this project on the right track. There are plenty of absolutely stunning, beautiful mk3's that have had tons of work put into them that are not selected. These are the sorts of owners that are worth contacting alone to see if they would be open to having their car pictured. This project is definitely something I would like to see improved upon and can only hope for the best this year.

With that said I plan on going out on a limb and buying one this year. I don't really want to judging by the previous years.., but with everything I have said and the others I have spoken for, I feel I need to. Why can't the final pictures that were chosen be viewed before purchasing the calender. This alone seems like a marketing scam in the least. Hopefully this year it will be different.

Please excuse me if this seems harsh, but I can't help but be disappointed with the calender responsibility change. I wish there were more unique and different looking Supras in the calendar, nice stock looking Supras with original paint/trim and aftermarket rims just aren't very unique or interesting to me. I was really looking forward to a fresh perspective.

Blaming the person assembling the calendar for the quality of the shots that were submitted doesn't make any sense what-so-ever. Most of the time those "absolutely stunning, beautiful mk3's that have had tons of work put into them that are not selected" are not selected because the images are too low resolution, have other cars in them, etc.

Canuckrz;1766576 said:
I too share Brian's sentiments, if I submitted a picture to be used for a non profit community calender and then it suddenly turned into someone making a profit off of it I would want to be notified before my car would be used.

You're acting like she's making a lot of money off of these, especially given the time she puts into them.

Kai;1766578 said:
Me three. Sorry, but to just jump into the middle of a thread and announce that you're taking over, is a piss poor way to do things. How about you actually *ASK* people if they want to be involved with your now money-making calendar? After all, you're the one going to be profiting off this venture, not the ones with the cars.

She didn't announce anything, it was handed over to her.

Sside;1766580 said:
x4 I agree with kai, canu, and bri. You cant just "take over" and then have a new thread started and its all good.

Yet again, it was handed over.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It doesn't matter how much or how little the profit is, the project was handed over to someone else who is doing it for another purpose ie. profit. Therefore the people who previously submitted photos should be asked their permission.

And if its apparantly not that big of a deal moneywise then why is it her livelyhood, and if not why hand it over when it was completely under control and organized before. You entirely contradicted yourself.

Obviously its totally upto the organizers of the calender who is in charge but it seems rediculous and unnessessary as to what is taking place.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Note: The post below is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the position of Supramania or the members of the staff:

What i'm going to say, and advise, is that all those people that are unhappy about this - withdraw your images, and the permission to use them. If it's a free calendar, fine, go ahead, whatever, but to make money off the backs of other members, and not compensate them for their submissions is out of line.

This 'hand-over' is a mess, i'm not happy with it, others aren't happy with it, sure, Kenny might want to give up on it and hand it to someone else, that's his perogative, but, it doesn't mean we have to like it, or accept it.

Over on the UK forum, when we did a calendar, we submitted the images, and that was it - the person putting it together volunteered to do all the photoshop work in an evening, and then it was produced, and priced according to the actual COST of PRINTING and DISTRIBUTING it (£11 all in, iirc).

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
ok - Lets stir this up and get it ferstering - NOT!!! -Y'all get a life, please.

Kenny, I respect your decision, Tanya will do a great job I sure.
Impossible to please all the people "ALL" the time.
Kenny, please forward the picture I sent you a few days ago to her.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
As i said, if you're happy with it, fine, all well and good, if not, withdraw. I don't like it, neither do some others, as mentioned above, it's impossible to please everyone. I gave my opinion on the matter and that's the end of it, as far as i'm concerned.

froubaby

MyMKIIIsupra.com
Apr 30, 2007
South Florida
www.mymkiiisupra.com
I disagree with some of the comments above. I have been involved in other club calendars before that were for profit AND I had to pay to get a calendar that had my contribution of photos and I would do it again. Now, with that said, those calendars in the past would have the submitter's screen name and real name (if wanted) on the image in the calendar to give credit, which is kind of cool (don't know if that is the layout with this one).

Rather than make assumptions, I would ask a question of whether any of the profits from sales will go back to the forum to help with hosting costs. Again, in other clubs this is typically done and is a great idea (ie: For every calendar purchase, $5 will go to SupraMania.com). The person making the calendar (hopefully) puts in some time working with those submitting to make sure the photos are of good quality and does the cropping and setup with the print company. Not to mention, if any orders go wrong, they have to deal with the customers. They are doing some work so why shouldn't they make some money off of it?

If you only want to submit a photo and expect a paycheck, go make a calendar of just your car photos and don't submit a photo here.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Making money off submitting your photos isnt the point. The point is someone else is now making profit off of the photos you submitted, where that wasn't the original expectation. It would be unreasonable to expect royaltys based on your photo submissions.

I like the idea of the price of the calender including a donation to the site however that was never the status quo for the calenders that have been done here over the years under Tanya or whoever that I am aware of. And obviously that would be totally upto the organizer to arrange such a thing.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
If you don't want your car in a calendar made by Tanya, ask that it not be used, via PM.

The only issue here seems to be who is making the money off of this, but this discussion is going nowhere in this thread. People who want a calendar, and people who want their cars in a calendar can continue to participate, if you previously submitted an image and no longer want it being used, let the appropriate people know.

Jeff

P.S. - This is the official position of Supramania and the staff.

Last edited by a moderator:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dani87x;1766621 said:

LOVE it. Are they gonna eat the poor little jellybean? :rofl:

As for all the uproar in here, nobody's forcing you to submit pictures of your car, neither are you being forced to buy it. Therefore, how the calendar process is handled is of NO inconvenience to you. Those of us who are grown up enough to not mind the situation can continue to be featured in and purchase said calendar if we so choose. That said Tanya, all the pictures I've sent in, you're more than welcome to use.

I swear, how did this even become an issue worth getting the forum's collective panties in a bunch? :nono:

froubaby

MyMKIIIsupra.com
Apr 30, 2007
South Florida
www.mymkiiisupra.com
te72;1766746 said:
As for all the uproar in here, nobody's forcing you to submit pictures of your car, neither are you being forced to buy it. Therefore, how the calendar process is handled is of NO inconvenience to you. Those of us who are grown up enough to not mind the situation can continue to be featured in and purchase said calendar if we so choose. That said Tanya, all the pictures I've sent in, you're more than welcome to use.

I swear, how did this even become an issue worth getting the forum's collective panties in a bunch? :nono:

:bigthumb:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Agreed 100%. Tanya, best of luck with the calendar. You can count on my purchase. :)

I hope you use my car and I hope you make some $$ for your efforts.

I just want a cool calendar for my wall. Kenny or Tanya will be great facilitators in making that happen either way. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
I was going to chime in and give my .02 cents but I think Poodles covered what I had to say, also Bri7man, Kia and Canuckrz if you didn’t know that cafepress was a profitable opportunity for the individual running their little store then shame on you, how else do you think people make money?

My car has been featured twice in the calendars over the years, and not one time do I remember anybody having an issue with Tanya turning a buck on selling members "pictures".

I knew she was making money and I had no issue with nor did I care about “royalties” nor did anybody else for that matter.
So like Jeff said if you don’t want your photos in the calendar that is going to make a profit for the individual then do not submit and let somebody else have a chance at getting in the calendar.

It amazes me how a few people that bitch about a small thing can steer such a shit storm, great job guys I hope you feel real good about your selves…

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You have to be kidding me if you are complaining. If you don't want your photos to be used to make any kind of profit, just remove your photos from this thread AND PM Kenny/Tanya. It's that simple. People have lives, money makes the world function. You cannot possibly expect one to put together a calendar and do it for free. Maybe someone will have enough spare time to do it for free, others don't.

I agree with Zero 100%.

Bri7man, Canuckrz, Sside, if you don't want your photos in there, just say so, with that said, I haven't checked to see if you submitted photos either.

Everyone likes to undermine someone else's hardwork. It's like parts, you get what you pay for. Everyone thinks it's easy to make, but nobody understand the work that is put into in.

For the hell of it, I should start a "Build In Progress" Calendar thread.

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Poodles, how exactly did you come about to becoming a moderator on Supramania with an attitude like this, and how you have in general?

It's not about who makes money to me, it's that it's done properly.

It isn't rocket science to achieve the best angle, lighting, and backdrop. If not photoshop could aid(not that it should need to in the first place), and I really wish Kenny would give it a go this year. He obviously has the Photoshop skills and his styling is awesome. Just look at his tag.

That is not my main concern but the cars alone that were selected. Someone's car that has been in the calender twice mentioned above is a perfect example of what I DO NOT want to see in a calender. It is no different than an everyday mk3 I see on the street and in no way unique. Stock fading paint, original trim, and aftermarket rims. I would have to replace a car like this with say, Supradupra.com's car or Canuckrz car(what he has done to it not updated in his avatar) and is probably the sexiest looking paint I have ever seen on an mk3 hands down.. The fact he is considering backing out due to what is happening here saddens me.

I and obviously others here are hoping to see something unique and beautiful with passionate effort, selection and editing(if necessary due to grainy or poor quality shots) put into the calender. One thing is certain,Tanya has not been present, she does not own a mk3 and she has suddenly showed up out of nowhere to embrace the calender. This alone fills me with suspicion.

Everyone trying to take cheap, meaningless, and pointless shots at others here are missing the point.. These criticisms are not trying to sabotage someones business, although if someones is doing a job that has consistent complaints, and especially for money, other options need to be considered. (which I have consistently seen not happen)

Criticizing someone or something is not a crime, in my eyes this is positive. I'm NOT saying Tanya is an unwanted individual for the job and she should not do it. We have LEGITIMATE complaints for a reason that is consistently being ignored in light of, "how dare you take away from this person's past time and business!" Which is an argument that is completely irrelevant and besides the point.

The issue is not the price of the calendar at all, but it is ridiculous in the fact that Tanya had no intention of creating the calender this year while Kenny was in the process of setting up a non profit calender. Then Tanya comes along, complains in this thread(post 95) about not being able to create the calender, mysteriously gets the project from Kenny and turns it into a self profiting calender. The profit SHOULD NOT go to her if anything it should go to the cars pictured owners and Kenny! He has put most of the effort into this so far.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Stop getting your panties in a knot. It is about money, it shows in your last few sentences. If you want your car in the calendar, leave your photo, you don't want it in the calendar, PM the respective person to handle the situation.

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
You obviously only hear what you want, you are ignorant, and and clearly show you aren't bright enough to comprehend more than one thing at a time.

You know the world could use less people like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.