emericaskater285's MKIII build of DOOM!

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Grandavi;1965697 said:
What are you planning to do for the evap charcoal cannister? Did you move it?

Na, shes long gone.

I took it out for a while and had the line capped off when I was on pump gas and my old turbo set up.
I took the line all the way out when I dropped my fuel tank for the sump and coating etc. I had a friend weld that piece shut, and I put in a -8AN JAZ fuel vent rollover valve in it.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
emericaskater285;1959532 said:
My car has been smoking for a while now and having symptoms of bad valve steam seals, so I bought a toyo tool and did the valve steam seals in it. (I recommend this tool, it makes doing the seals a fucking breeze.

What's this toyo tool you speak of and where can I get one?

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I have been very lazy lately, and haven't had time to do any updates. I have quite a few projects for this car in the works. I will have some surprises coming and updates hopefully in the next few weeks. I have been trying to get motivated after a flywheel bolt head sheared off and I ended up pulling my trans and I have sold the built transmission and I have a new project in the works.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Well, I have been slacking majorly on my build threads, and being on the forums lately. I was planning on just having an easy winter with swapping out my intake manifold and intercooler set up, but now I have quite a few projects going on.

The last real outing I had in my Supra was going to cedar falls raceway for the Iowa Auto Forums annual shoot out. It was a good time, and it is always nice to get out and play around some. I was hoping for some really good times, but the car kept running lean and breaking up so I never even made a decent time. It was a big headache, but I decided there is always next year to do it better.

I had to get my car back together in a hurry before the shoot out, and when I did get it together, I jumped on the dyno the thursday before the event(it was on saturday), and we did some tuning. I thought it was going to turn out better than it did, but it just wasn't right. I had no time to take it out and test it before the race weekend, as it was raining. I ended up putting down 475hp which is reasonable, but I think it we could have worked out the bugs and made it smoother it would have been over 500hp.

What I did the week before the shoot out was pull out my truck floor board, and cut out the spare tire well and weld in a flat piece for my battery relocation box. I put my kill switch in, and wired it all up. I still have some things to finish up with this also. I only have a picture of the kill switch, I haven't taken a pic of the relocation yet, but will have one up eventually.

I bought a SSV3 short shifter a couple months ago, and loved it while I was using it. I went out one night to do some datalogging, and apparently one of my flywheel bolt heads sheared off, and it was getting stuck in-between the flywheel and clutch disc so it wouldn't disengage fully. I pulled the transmission out and decided it was time to change things up a bit.

I decided to build this set up more towards drag racing, so I sold my r154, clutch, etc, and I am going with a built th350. I bought a th350 off of a friend for a good price, and went with a b&m upgraded friction material rebuild kit, as well as their shift kit. I bought an ATI adapter set up, and will be using that along with one of their torque converters that I will have to order.
I bought a B&M quick silver shifter, and cut it up so it will fit in the stock location. Still working on modifying it a bit, but it is coming along.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I decided to start on my ffim set up soon, so I had to pull out my old intercooler set up, and I am in the process of trying to get it sold.

I disassembled my block, and took that in along with all the parts that need balanced or machined into the machine shop to get the work done. I don't have any pictures of this, but I did order some titan billet main caps a while back, and I am going to be using those in this build also. Should have my block back here in a couple few weeks hopefully, and I can get the bottom end assembled and together.

My last update out of this little series here. I just got done in the garage dissassembling my head that I am going to be using in this build. I am going to have a mild port job done on this, also going to have a 3 angle valve job, and have the head milled etc. Just the basic head build with cams.
BTW I bought the Toyo-tool a while back to do my valve stem seals, and it is amazing. it makes easy work of dissembling and reassembling the valve train.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
MDCmotorsports;1973318 said:
One of the nicer builds I've seen in a while.

Now knock off the street racing before we loose you and your car.

:)

Iowa's behind the times ;) lol. 1st offense you only lose your license for 90 days. 2nd times a year. They don't ever take your vehicle.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
NewGen;1973396 said:
Iowa's behind the times ;) lol. 1st offense you only lose your license for 90 days. 2nd times a year. They don't ever take your vehicle.

Im not one for promoting the confiscation of personal property by any form of government.

However you street race enough, you'll eventually loose to that oncoming car or power pole that you never saw.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Well, I am starting to run low on mod money for the winter build as always lol. I have decided to wait to start on my head until I get some mod money built back up.

My bottom end should be done in a week or two as of now, and once I get that bill, I will know better what I will have left for the winter project.
My transmission needs a few parts still, and I am going to go check it out on monday and see how it is going. After I get that back I will start to get it mocked up.

Things I still need to pay for, or purchase in general to get the car running again.
Bottom end machine work
Transmission parts and rebuild
torque converter
drive shaft
Oil/trans cooler lines and fittings

So while I am waiting to get my bottom end back, I am going to be playing around getting my FFIM mocked up and hopfully in. I have to put my new intercooler in, and make pipes for it too. When I do this, I am planning on putting in my new oil cooler and trans cooler set ups, and getting them all hooked up and running right.

I went out and worked on the car just a little bit yesterday. I pulled off the old intake manifold set up, and pulled off my alternator and mocked up my FFIM to see how it will sit in the bay, and what all I will need to modify.

As far as I can tell, it will be pretty easy IMO.
I need to make a new -6 fuel return line from the rail to the regulator, and also locate the regulator to a different position.
I need to pull off the AC bracket so I can put on my new alternator adjuster.
Wire up my tps
and a few other things I will need to do like redo vacuum lines etc.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
NegativeGeForce;1974612 said:
The FFIM looks great. Looks like it has arrive to its true home :)

What kind of goodies are going to be in your new bottom end?

Well, lets just say our bottom ends should be fairly similar. Only thing is I am using eagle rods (really should have went with crower or something)

Shimmed oil pump
full flow oil line out
billet mains
eagle rods
Wiesco .20 over pistons
TMS head gasket
ATI crank dampener
full flow oil cooler with mocal thermostat
ARP studs/bolts etc...

Plans for head:
Full port on intake
Gasket match on exhaust and slight port
planed head and normal machine work
BC 272 cams with bc springs/retainers

Thinking shimless buckets on the set up too. I will need to figure out what I need to do here, and also figure out how much it will cost lol. This engine will be waiting to go in until I get my head work all done, and with funds running low that may have to wait a while now we will see.

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
emericaskater285;1974617 said:
Well, lets just say our bottom ends should be fairly similar. Only thing is I am using eagle rods (really should have went with crower or something)

Shimmed oil pump
full flow oil line out
billet mains
eagle rods
Wiesco .20 over pistons
TMS head gasket
ATI crank dampener
full flow oil cooler with mocal thermostat
ARP studs/bolts etc...

Plans for head:
Full port on intake
Gasket match on exhaust and slight port
planed head and normal machine work
BC 272 cams with bc springs/retainers

Thinking shimless buckets on the set up too. I will need to figure out what I need to do here, and also figure out how much it will cost lol. This engine will be waiting to go in until I get my head work all done, and with funds running low that may have to wait a while now we will see.

Yea our bottom ends will be simular except the rods...I went with pauter fitted with arp custom age 625 bolts but eagles are good. The bill for my head was 1300 for machine work but I ended up doing as much as you probably could to a head. The only tip I have for porting the exhaust is that I wouldn't gasket match it because it needs at least a slight step to prevent exhaust gas reversion. There is some room to open it up but you will probably gain more by taking off those guide bosses and getting tapered 2jz ferrea valve guides like I did. That takes a huge bottle neck out from the exhaust.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk