emericaskater285's MKIII build of DOOM!

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
My car has been smoking for a while now and having symptoms of bad valve steam seals, so I bought a toyo tool and did the valve steam seals in it. (I recommend this tool, it makes doing the seals a fucking breeze. I am very happy with it for the most part.)

So When I was putting my back timing cover on (the black on that sits behind the gears on the head) one of the bolts broke, and fell into the timing cover, so I had to pull everything in front off and get into there. What a pain in the ass. Anyways, I had to pull my electric fans off, and on one of them I accidentally messed up a wire in and didn't notice. Well, when I went out and drove it it was still smoking, and was overheating a bit. So what did I do? I came to the conclusion I blew a HG again lol. Anyways, I had one wire come unplugged, and that is what caused all of this issue, so I fixed that.

Well, the smoking issue was a lot less after I replaced the valve steam seals, but was still there at idle, and during driving. After driving for a while, it kept getting worse.
I ended up turning my car off with the hood open, and I could hear a little metal on metal sound coming from my turbo!!! Took my intake pipe off, and what do you know, there is a bit of oil residue. Checked my shaft play... Tons of in and out play and side to side. Fuck! At least I found my smoking issue :p

So off the turbo came, and it will be shipped out to Precision either today or tomorrow for service. Hoping it is going to be covered under warranty, since I bought it in febuary of this year, and I installed it and ran it just like it is supposed to be done.

I am just excited to get it back so I can finally get a good solid street tune on this car.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
How were the seals?
My engine was smoking at start as well, but when I took the turbo off oil literally ran out if the exhaust ports. Ended up replacing the entire 7m shortblock because it was a sign that the rebuilder didn't do it right.
They didn't clip the seals down so they were riding the valves and pumping oil into the cylinders.

Turned out they had done a few things wrong and at 30,000 km, the bearings were just about to let go...

The valve stem seals are problematic later, so at least they are dealt with and you caught your turbo prior to it imploding.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Grandavi;1959558 said:
How were the seals?
My engine was smoking at start as well, but when I took the turbo off oil literally ran out if the exhaust ports. Ended up replacing the entire 7m shortblock because it was a sign that the rebuilder didn't do it right.
They didn't clip the seals down so they were riding the valves and pumping oil into the cylinders.

Turned out they had done a few things wrong and at 30,000 km, the bearings were just about to let go...

The valve stem seals are problematic later, so at least they are dealt with and you caught your turbo prior to it imploding.

There were some seals that were going bad. I just replaced all while I was in there. I only think that there was maybe three overall that were letting go. That was actually part of the smoking issue as it was smoking some on my old turbo set up from the valve steam seals, but the seals would have never smoked as much as this turbo did lol.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Jay C;1959577 said:
Looking good. Waiting for pics of your CC set up as it sounds sweet.

I am running one in the current set up right now, I will be putting both on in the spring once I change things up a bit.

There is a little teaser pic of it in my last post with pictures. Its sitting by my valve covers on the floor in that pic with the hoses sticking out. It is just roughly laid in the engine bay right now hooked up.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Pulled out my full electric drivers seat today, and swapped the cushions to my non electric seat. Dropped a good 40 pounds or so off the cars weight just by that lol.

I started to piece together my full flow oil cooler/filter relocation set up.

I also went out to the garage a minute ago and shimmed my oil pump to 5.15mm so I don't have to do it later when I am putting it together.

You will start with something like this.

Pull the hollow bolt out of the end and grab that spring out and set it aside so you don't loose it.

These will come out. (spring and hollow bolt)

Get your digital caliper out.

Get some washers out and put them together and try to get as close to 5mm as possible. (or whatever you want to shim it to)

Pretty close.

Get them stacked in the hollow bolt.

Put the spring back in, then carefully put the hollow bolt back in. It takes a bit of force to get the spring pressure relieved and the bolt started.

Get it screwed on there.

Finally get it nice and tight. And you are done, and the pump is ready to go in the engine.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Well, I finally got these videos from someone. These are both on the same night, one right after another. Sorry for the poor video quality. I wasn't planning on racing that night, so I didn't grab the gopro or any other cameras.

These two races were both pretty damn close. I missed second gear in the first video (second race) and he pulled in front of me if I remember right. And the second video (first race) I had a very soft clutch slipping launch, and pulled past him a bit on the top end.

This was the best launch I have ever felt in this car. I cant believe how hard it launched. This is actually the second race of the night.

[video=youtube;zn-vaVYyRWo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn-vaVYyRWo[/video]

Don't make fun of my failed burnout attempts in this one. I am not used to drag radials, and revving my engine to 5000 to get the turbo to spool up to burn em lol. All in good fun.

[video=youtube;frPnMEgL3bs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frPnMEgL3bs[/video]

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Still waiting on my turbo. It should ship out soon, and hopefully be here next week if I am lucky.

Anyways, in the mean time, I am going to relocate my battery, and maybe start my FFIM set up and set up my new intercooler and pipes, and possibly get my oil cooler set up in and functional.

So here is todays progress. Not much, but every bit helps.
I mounted my kill switch, pulled my battery out, and started to redo some wiring. I should probably get to pulling the drivers side interior to make things easier, but I am lazy today lol.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
emericaskater285;1961103 said:
Well, I finally got these videos from someone. These are both on the same night, one right after another. Sorry for the poor video quality. I wasn't planning on racing that night, so I didn't grab the gopro or any other cameras.

These two races were both pretty damn close. I missed second gear in the first video (second race) and he pulled in front of me if I remember right. And the second video (first race) I had a very soft clutch slipping launch, and pulled past him a bit on the top end.

This was the best launch I have ever felt in this car. I cant believe how hard it launched. This is actually the second race of the night.

[video=youtube;zn-vaVYyRWo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn-vaVYyRWo[/video]

Don't make fun of my failed burnout attempts in this one. I am not used to drag radials, and revving my engine to 5000 to get the turbo to spool up to burn em lol. All in good fun.

[video=youtube;frPnMEgL3bs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frPnMEgL3bs[/video]

Nitrous is for amateurs your going to blow yourself to pieces ;)

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Turbo just came in today, and the car is for the most part back together.

Will have the gopro out this weekend ;)

[video=youtube_share;YBM1tYURbKQ]http://youtu.be/YBM1tYURbKQ[/video]