emericaskater285's MKIII build of DOOM!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have been on the dyno twice.. both times were disappointments. First time because at the middle of adjusting things started to get blue at the end of every dyno pull coming out of the tail (turbo eventually started doing blue constantly).
Did 300 hp/387 torque in the end which wasn't that disappointing, but useless as the turbo had to be swapped out.

Second time, the dyno couldn't pull up the tach readings and had to cut back my fuel pressure because I was over feeding at 4500+ rpm.

Was warned going in that the dyno is a marker for what your car is doing. Its not going to fix anything, just useful in tuning it better and giving you a good picture of whats happening. I didn't want a dyno queen anyway, just want my car to be fun when I want it to be fun. Third time on the dyno upcoming shortly...

Looking at your transmission rebuild... I wish I could pull that off. I rebuild the tranny on my 72 Corolla about 3 decades ago and while it was fun... I looked over the drawings of the R154 and decided against even attempting it. You need a clean shop and proper tools for that job.. lol. I have neither :)

Keep us updated!

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
And just a little update, I believe I figured out my issue we had on the dyno.

I had my map sensor running from my AEM boost gauge on the 0-5v output on the gauge. It was picking up signal, but it was fluctuating quite a bit under load, and at cruise. It wasn't too bad at idle, but enough to throw it off there too. I wired a dedicated gauge in tonight, and tested it out. It seems to be much more steady. I haven't taken it for a test drive yet, but I will finish up wiring it in for good tomorrow afternoon, and give it a whirl.

I will need to go out and get a new cruise tune and WOT tune on it. Hopefully my buddy and I can try to do it tomorrow evening.

I will update with results when I get a chance.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
SupraTurbo1989;1942452 said:
What did you use to clean your block surface? Looks much better than mine

I used a scotch brite pad on my die grinder. I would do it differently if I did it again. I also accidentally nicked my timing belt, so I had to replace it too lol.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
SupraTurbo1989;1943075 said:
how and why would you do it differently?

I would pull the engine and have the block decked so I do not have to worry about a MHG sealing on it. Plus you cant really get a 100% smooth surface with it like that.

I mainly used a scotch brite pad on a grinder to get rid of the left over gasket materiel, so I took off the least amount of metal on the block as possible.

Guys sorry for not updating for a while. I have been waiting on revieving my AEM back from them. I sent it out to get it checked to make sure nothing was wrong with it. Hoping to see it back next week, and get some decent street tunes on it then also.

Not sure when I will make it to the dyno again. My tuner is pretty busy, and have been thinking about switching to a different tuner that is closer. I like my tuner, just been a hassle trying to troubleshoot problems.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Great build!! Looks like that HG is holding up pretty well. Your car looks really clean. Get her back on the dyno and see what she can do :)

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Well, here is another little update.

I am supposed to be receiving my AEM ems back from them for testing on Monday. They have been very good to me, but the wait is what has been killing me lol.

So in the mean time I took a couple intercooler pipes into my welder to have him take off the old fange on the 7m crossover IC pipe, and fill that in. This is because I recently bought a Blitz blow off valve from a friend so I am having him weld that flange onto a different IC pipe, and will be putting that on on Monday hopefully.

So at the moment Monday the 8th I should have my car back on the road for more street tuning.

This post is getting a little long already, but in the meantime I decided to start purchasing parts I will be needing (by needing I mean wanting lol) So here is my most recent parts purchase.

My engine gasket kit came the other day, so I have almost everything I need for my build except main and rod bearings, and valve shims, because those will have to wait until I get the clearances measured out.
A couple other parts I need to get are freeze plugs, and oil pump drive shaft bearings.

So here is my parts collection as of now, besides the block, oil pan, and head with components.

Oh shoot! I almost forgot to throw this beauty in there too. I just got this the other day also, and so far loving it besides the price tag.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I bought it through titan. http://www.titanmotorsports.com/dacrpuformk3.html

Well here is a little update.
I was having trouble with some things, sent my ecu in, and got it back and reinstalled. (nothing ended up being wrong with the ecu, but they did update it) Car runs better than ever at the moment. I have been shooting maps and logs back and fourth with my tuner, and it is making a huge difference.

Last night I went out and didn't plan on racing, but I had a buddy that wanted to test his car, as did I. We went for a couple dig runs, and man it runs great. I also had the best launch I have had so far on it yet. Hoping to get it street tuned this week. I am not sure when I will be getting back on the dyno, but for now the street tuning is going very well.

I will have to see if I can find the couple videos of my races. I didn't bring my gopro, so I couldn't really get anything there.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
supraguy@aol;1955153 said:
Sounds good.
Waiting for videos.

Trying to get someone to email me those videos. No luck so far. Hope I can get them tho.

For now my tuner sent me a new calibration and I went out and played with it a bit today. Need to add some fuel in some spots and take some out in others. I am only on 20psi right now.

Here is a video of a couple pulls I did today on the new log.

[video=youtube_share;UakSOo_KM2Y]http://youtu.be/UakSOo_KM2Y[/video]

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Why does the turbo or blow off valve sound like that? Sounds like someone blowing through a hose or straw. Still sounds damn nice man what exhaust setup do you have?

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Doat;1955363 said:
Why does the turbo or blow off valve sound like that? Sounds like someone blowing through a hose or straw. Still sounds damn nice man what exhaust setup do you have?

Not quite sure what you are talking about blowing through a straw. All I hear is the wastegate opening then closing and the BOV dumping.

It is full 3" with RSR

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Some more updates are here!

I have been enjoying the car on a pretty street friendly tune for a while. Well, idk if my valve stems have let go completely, or if I have some major blow by, but my Supra is now a heavy smoker.
I have decided I am going to only take the car out for weekends at the moment and am going to keep collecting parts for my build, and get started on building the engine soon. I plan on driving the car with this engine until winter, then I will make the switch.

Also started working on a custom dual catch can set up for the car. It consists of two small "go kart" catch cans and -8 fittings. I will have pics up when I get it closer to being finished.
It should flow plenty with one can per valve cover, and running through -8 fittings on each can/valve cover also. I tapped the cans for 3/8 npt fittings, so I can upgrade to AN fittings later as right now I am on push lock line.

I also just bought a nice Ron R FFIM and am going to be buying an new IC, and some other parts to get it set up. I am pretty excited about this upgrade, but I know it will also be quite a bit of work.

Now the question is, this winter should I get the engine together first, or get the FFIM set up first? I am leaning towards setting up the FFIM once winter hits, and making sure it runs right with it, then throwing in my new built engine and break it in after that.

Also if anyone knows the answer to this question, please help me out here.

I am on an aem unit, and will be building a block and head as most of you know by now. Anyways, I am wondering if I will be able to use my current tune to break in my new built engine without worries. I know it would be fine if I was just on a built block, but I am just worried about how my cams will affect the tune during break in.