emericaskater285's MKIII build of DOOM!

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I have decided to finally make a build thread to keep you guys updated on what I have going on with my car. I have came a long ways since I first bought this car a couple years ago, and have had many ups and downs, and there is going to be many more to come in the future as this build progresses.

Lets start at the beginning. I went to school and worked with a friend that had this white Supra. I didn't know the first thing about mkiii's at the time. I daily drive a 96 ram, so I decided I would like something more fuel efficient for a daily driver. Well, I have been telling this kid if he wants to sell his car to let me know first, as I would like to buy it.

Next thing I know he is joining the marines, and is at boot camp. He came home for break, and told me he was ready to sell, so I went over to his house, test drove this nice little low mileage Supra, and drove home with an unmolested, Stock, 77,000 mile, Turbo, Targa, Supra at the end of his week leave.

These are the pictures of the day I brought her home. Beautiful 80* day and cruised home with the targa off.

Well, about a week or two later I ended up blowing the head gasket. It pushed cylinder pressure into the coolant, but no coolant got into the oil, and I parked it right away. I apparently was not too gentle with this car, or else it was already starting to let go.
Tearing into the motor for the first time.

Clean head!

All buttoned up and back together. I used ARP head studs(no bolts for me!) along with a felpro OEM type head gasket.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I wanted to get a turbo timer, so I did not have to let my car cool down and have to wait by it for it to cool off.
I ended up ordering an HKS type 1 turbo timer, but they were out of stock in the US for a long while, so I decided to just get the type 0. Good enough right?

I also bought a dual pillar pod, and AEM wideband and boost gauges at this time.

My first car hobby was car audio, so why not include some of that?

When I was in there playing with electronics, I decided to do a bit of audio upgrading while I was at it. I bought some speakers for the front (infinity kappa's (not pictured)), and also for the rears(kickers).

I have always been about quality in my car audio not just bass, so I had to put a speaker amp in here.

At this time I was not worried about weight, so I stuffed a couple spare 8's I had lying around in there along with an MRP M500 amp. Sounded great, but was big and bulky.

Well, I started to get the performance bug. At this time I was on the forums, and I was very aware of the ct26, lex afm, SAFC, 550's, etc etc.
The first piece of the puzzle for me was the fuel pump. Walbro 255 went in.

Also about this same time I decided to do my tail light rebuild.
That can be found here
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?661972-Taillight-teardown-and-rebuild-In-progress&highlight=

I had met a few new friends that owned Supras around me, and one of them told me about someone that had an RSR exhaust. I offered him some cash for it, and came home with a great sounding piece! (This doesn't really matter, but this came off of Clint G's first 1jz car after a few different owners since him.)

You may have noticed the other Supra in the background, well that was one of my parts cars I stole body panels off of. Also got a lot of other parts out of it. (If anyone is ever needing money, something I have found very profitable but time consuming is parting out a Supra. If you can pick up one for a steal its a great way to bring in a buck. I have parted out 2 or 3 now, and have made some good money.)

Somewhere around this time I bought a manual boost controller, and cranked up the boost to right around fuel cut. Well, the old ct did not like that too well. She blew out, and I decided to go in for a rebuild and upgrade. I went through DM and bought a 57 trim rebuild, and sent mine in.

Back home.

While I was making a nice little purchase at DM, I decided to buy a few other items while I was at it.
Bought a AFPR, lines, fittings for turbo drain and feed, etc, etc.

While I was into this, I bought a set of 560cc evo injectors, SAFC, and a Lexus AFM locally. Sorry no pics of them.
I drove it like that for quite a while, and loved it. It sounded great, and had some great power for me at the time.
Out with a few friends.

In the middle of the hot ass summer I took my car in to get aligned. My pops and the tech both thought that my Subframe was cracked, so I made another large purchase with DM and bought some pieces for while I had it out.

Turns out that the subframe was not cracked, they were just seeing things apparently. While I had it out I installed those pieces along with some adjustable camber arms, then had it aligned right.

I decided to jump on an intercooler kit. I had to buy a couple extra couplers here and there, but it was a decent fit.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
If its not one thing its another on these cars.

I had been driving and enjoying this car a lot over the summer, and towards the fall the stock clutch said "fuck you Grant" and it decided it had finally had enough. It had been slipping quite a bit, and it finally let go during some severe slipping on a race. I had to limp it home.

I started pulling the engine and trans the day after.

And before you know it its ready to go back in.

Around this same time, I decided I needed to go with a lighter and smaller sub to fit my targa and a five channel amp for my speakers and sub.

I wanted to make everything kindof plug and play just in case I needed to remove any weight for certain circumstances.

About this time I bought the wheel set up that is on my car now. I really like the looks of it, and I get compliments all of the time. Little do they know, they are just 99 cobra wheels with custom center caps I made.

I was planning on going standalone eventually, and had some money built up and a deal came along so I jumped on an AEM v1.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
In the late fall my r154 decided to take a shit on me one night. It started popping out of first gear, so I parked it and pulled the transmission the next day. What a pain in the ass it is to pull the trans and not the engine and trans.
So I ordered up some parts from DM again.....

I did the rebuild myself, I have rebuilt dual counter shaft 18 speed transmissions in the past, so this transmission is a bit of a breeze IMO.
Found this little guy trying to hide in there.

Started pulling everything apart.

Shes bare!

All cleaned up and ready to go back in the cases.
Of course, leave it to me to forget to take a pic of the trans back together lol.

I had been doing some pretty hefty parts collecting while all of this was going on.

I was pretty set on going with pump gas so I picked up this set up

Ended up changing my mind after I had already opened my injectors package, and could not return those or my fuel pump. So I went ahead and tried to sell that pump and injectors and bought this set up.
E85 BABY!

This is where the build starts to get a little interesting.
I really wish I would have been taking more in depth pictures of the process of installing and the finished product, but I wasn't thinking about a build thread when I was elbow deep in this bitch.

I had a t4 turbo manifold I made a trade for a while back. I regret using this manifold with all of the slag I had to clean up, and modifications I made, but It will work well for the time being.

I had a friend weld on my Tial wastegate flange.

What turbo am I going to use you ask?

Shes pretty.

Up on the manifold. I had to have two 3/8" spacers welded on to the manifold in order for this compressor housing to clear it. I wish I would have went with three, but I can always add another if needed.

Some precision injector goodness. 1200cc's

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
So next came a lot of mocking up and installing of parts on the car.

The silicone elbow in this picture is long gone now. It was touching the manifold, so I decided to take the compressor housing in to get a 45* elbow welded onto it. That solved that problem very well.

In went the electric fans and radiator. I love cleaning up the engine bay and making a bunch of space.
I wish I would have taken a picture, but I have my relays triggered by the AEM, and the relays are sitting right in front of the battery in the factory location.

Partially finished engine bay for the summer.

Where I put my IAT sensor. No heat soak for me!

That damn AEM filter gave me nothing but problems. It kept popping off when I would tighten down the clamp, so I ended up going out and finding a nice filter that would fit my pipe right.
Also have my 45* elbow welded on my compressor housing at this time.
This is the finished engine bay for the season. I really like how it turned out for the most part. Its not extremely clean, but its came a long ways in just a couple years.

I purchased a Kevin M sunshade from a friend of mine. (thanks NewGen!)

A little peak at my fuel sump and pump set up. I really like how it turned out and this pump is much quieter than I was expecting it to be.

I have another filter up my frame rail about at the front of the drivers door. My fuel line set up is -10 feed from the sump through the filter/pump/secondary filter, then it drops down to -8 at the rail, and -6 return. I plan on making a custom rail out of a spare one I have around here to make it flow better, but it flows very well right now.

Here is a quick video I made the other day on a rough tune. I go on the dyno on the 24th, and will hopefully be making around what I would like to make on this stock engine set up.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
emericaskater285;1935906 said:
If its not one thing its another on these cars.

I had been driving and enjoying this car a lot over the summer, and towards the fall the stock clutch said "fuck you Grant" and it decided it had finally had enough. It had been slipping quite a bit, and it finally let go during some severe slipping on a race. I had to limp it home.

kk.. I had to pause at this... because apparently we have the same first name.. lol.

Love the build thread so far. When exactly did you start all this? That is such a nice body to start with.

Wondering about the IC piping... can you actually close your hood without it rubbing into the fire blanket?

Also, where did you hide the rad overflow tank?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Grandavi;1936008 said:
kk.. I had to pause at this... because apparently we have the same first name.. lol.

Love the build thread so far. When exactly did you start all this? That is such a nice body to start with.

Wondering about the IC piping... can you actually close your hood without it rubbing into the fire blanket?

Yes sir. The IC piping has maybe a half of an inch to the hood.

I bought the car in august of 2011 I believe. Not knowing a damn thing about Supras, and hardly anything about turbo cars. That changed quickly. I think I started modding the car in the winter of 2011, and this past winter is when I have started the set up it is on now (pt6766, AEM v1, E85 etc).

They body is decent. It was in a horrible hail storm long before I bought it. It is still a clean title. I have used two different parts cars to get clean body panels. I still have some hail damage behind the targa, and a bit on the hatch. I will eventually get that fixed down the road, but for now I am living with it.

Also relocated the overflow tank in behind the bumper. It is right under the passenger side head light. You can access the lid through the stock air intake hole in the body.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
SupraTurbo1989;1936014 said:
Subscribed for curiosity on how the composite head gasket holds up!

Well, hopefully it holds together for this season.

Just in case it doesn't hold together, here is a little hint on what I will be working on slowly over the summer.

And I have two of these. Going to use the other one for the build.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
SupraTurbo1989;1936025 said:
Well give it hell!! I want to see what the stock head gasket can hold!

Well, idk if you have checked out X-man's car, but he made 510.5hp on a composite head gasket. My goal is to beat that. I am not making it a competition, but would like to beat that. I talked to X-man when I was doing my fuel set up, and he is a really cool guy, so I wouldn't even want to make it a competition. I kind of feel like he made it on pump gas, so if I am on e85 it should be much easier, but there is many other factors like turbo set up and other things.

The dyno and time will tell.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Tgood;1936051 said:
What kind of sump did you use? I have never seen one like that

This guy right here.
http://www.xtremediesel.com/xdpblackanodizeddieselfueltanksumpkit-notankdropinstall.aspx

It is a bolt in sump. I like the concept, but I have seen a few guys just put a fitting on the bottom of the tank. That way it is much more simple. I am not sure if there is a down side to either way of doing it. I just know that I did have a leak where the gasket bolts to the tank, but it is fixed for now.

I did coat my tank with POR 15 tank sealant, and also put a -8AN rollover vent valve and a -6 return on the stock fuel hat. I had all of the old fittings welded and grinded down.
I really wish I would have taken a picture of the tank right before I put it in. The return and rollover valve look sweet on it.

SupraTurbo1989

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
emericaskater285;1936032 said:
Well, idk if you have checked out X-man's car, but he made 510.5hp on a composite head gasket. My goal is to beat that. I am not making it a competition, but would like to beat that. I talked to X-man when I was doing my fuel set up, and he is a really cool guy, so I wouldn't even want to make it a competition. I kind of feel like he made it on pump gas, so if I am on e85 it should be much easier, but there is many other factors like turbo set up and other things.

The dyno and time will tell.
Not sure if you've checked out my thread here(http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?131843-Toyota-HG-design-and-power-capability) but I have similar goals. Although you are using a Felpro, I will likely be using a Toyota; not sure the differences but I'm very interested in your results.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Nice build!

I've been over 400whp for a few years now on a new oem hg and arp studs with no problems.