ZOMG Your auto warranty will expire soon!!!

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Oh, the anger.

Has anyone else had "spam" phone calls? I keep getting phone calls from a company claiming that my auto warranty is going to expire. The first couple of times I hung up, but after I realized it wasn't going to stop, I pressed "1" to be connected to a representative.

"Can I please have the year, make and model of your car?"
"I was hoping you could tell me that, since you seem to have my information already."
"What?"
"Well, you know that my warranty has expired. How do you know that, when don't even know the year, make and model?"
"I need to know those so I can look up.."
"I need to know how you got this phone number. This is a cellular phone and you are wasting my time and money."
"I'm sorry, sir. Do you want me to take you off our list?"
"Yes, please."
"Okay. Goodbye."

THE NEXT DAY!!!
I get another call. It is not on my personal cell phone. This time, they called me on my WORK cell phone! I hear their recorded message and start cussing, telling my wife that I am gonna let them have it! By the time I am done ranting and get back to the phone to press "1", the caller auto-disconnected.
They did not call for a week.

Yesterday they called again.
I was very angry, but kept my cool, but still when I tried to tell my story to the guy who called, to show that even though I requested for them NOT to call me in the past and how they keep calling me on two different phones, he hung up on me. I was firm towards him, but was not being overly angry, and that little shit hung up.

Can I prosecute these people for harrassment for calling me over and over again when THEY ask me if I want to be taken off their list and I say yes? What can I do? I've had my cell phone for over 2 1/2 years and I have very rarely received telemarketing calls. The other callers always ceased upon request, but these bastards are persistent.

The last call and as far as I can remember the rest of the calls came from area code 818, which is basically the San Fernando Valley in California. The calls started around winter time and stopped for awhile. They would come back occasionally, but lately they have become more frequent.

I think that what bothers me most is that they have information that was most likely data-mined and/or bought. This falls somewhere between espionage and social engineering on a small level.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Our Govt watered down the do not call legisation here so during the times they're allowed to call I mess with them for as long as I can keep them on the phone ;)

Do this a couple of times and wow lookie there they don't call again!
(most of these vermin share lists)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Sounds a little suspicious that they keep badgering you to give personal info. I work in and Financial Institution and this seems a little like 'phishing'. Let us know how that donotcall site works for you. I think we have something similar up here.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
My work phone has been called as well.. 2 times (i mean one time after several missed calls, I answered and removed my self from the list, then a few months later called again.. only a message still so will probably call again.)

89TargaT

No Traction FTL...
Jan 30, 2008
Missouri
I recently started getting these bullshit calls myself. I normally just hang up, but I think I'm gonna mess with them a bit next time they call.:naughty:

x10secondzx2

I love you.
Nov 25, 2007
Viera, Florida
www.myspace.com
these bastards just sarted calling me. Maybe once every two weeks. I have normally just hung up but now im gunna go through their process. Im gunna go buy a dupont registry and find a Ferrari or McLaren for sale and give them its make model and vin number. lol

myothersupra

Jun 19, 2008
Greater New Orleans Area
Most of the time your number is either in the phone book, on your company's website, or otherwise listed in some other public forum but some of these unscrupulous people are just setting their units to dial sequentially through all suffixes in the phone exchanges they're targeting in hopes of getting more "hits".
The companies who are actually offering the goods/services have apparently outsourced the calling process to sub-contractors who use those damn auto-dialing automated systems and they not only spoof their caller ID info so you can't filter or block them but the sub-contractors don't actually care about removing you from their unit's calling list even if you press the number they say to press for removal. I suspect they get a commission when the call is routed to the actual warranty company who hired them's call center which is where you end up when you press 1 and most of the employees at the center are arrogant enough to just hang up on you since they didn't actually call you anyway and they know you don't have their number so you can't call them back.
If you stay calm and polite and thank them for the offer then explain that you keep getting calls even though you've pressed the number it said to press to be removed each time, the rep may be kind enough to actually flag your number to be removed from their master list.
Plus the fact that the actual call you receive comes from more than one outsourced dialer system means that THEY didn't actually call you repeatedly so technically THEY are not harassing you at all, no matter how many times a day you hear their exact same automated message offering to connect you to them by pressing 1.

I was getting slammed several times a day about the car warranty, directv, and dish network, among others, (like 10-12 calls a day!) and I finally got off the dish network and warranty call lists within the last 2 weeks.
The thing that pisses me off is that you can't block them, you can't filter them, and you can't call them back thanks to VoIP allowing simple CID spoofing so they can bug the sh!t out of you and you can't retaliate at all...

Yesterday I got hit by one that was in spanish and it was so obvious even though I don't speak spanish that the owner of the dialer unit didn't have even the slightest clue how to set it up and use it because it started "speaking" in the middle of their message and said the spanish equivalent to "press 8" several times in their sales pitch but it never said any other number so they didn't even give you the option to be removed and the CID showed as 418-999-9999 so I can't even do anything about it, damit! Yet another reason to hate Hurricane Katrina...

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I have been getting the same calls. I usually go into my fake masturbating routine saying they caught me at an odd moment but if they would like to listen in I will be happy to "perform" for them. Oddly enough I dont usually hear back from them.

When religious solicitors knock on my door I grab a pen and draw a pentagram on the palm of my hand and start chanting a wiccan prayer, while waving my hand in front of them...they too oddly never return.

surferofthesnow

Feb 14, 2008
Ketchum, ID
theWeezL;1086532 said:
I have been getting the same calls. I usually go into my fake masturbating routine saying they caught me at an odd moment but if they would like to listen in I will be happy to "perform" for them. Oddly enough I dont usually hear back from them.

When religious solicitors knock on my door I grab a pen and draw a pentagram on the palm of my hand and start chanting a wiccan prayer, while waving my hand in front of them...they too oddly never return.

lol

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
The first time i talked to someone i asked how they got my number.. and they the asshole hung up on me... the second time they called.. i told the operator that if i got 1 more call id set all 6 of my computers to dial this number 24/7 and tie there lines up till they went out of bussiness and had to change numbers... i have not got any more calls past month...