Your 1JZ-GTE And 2JZ-GTE Swap Guide For Dummies Discussion Thread!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You just use a rear sump oil pan setup. The motors are the same.

You need the rear sump upper and lower pans, baffle, and pick up tube for the oil pump.

The drain on the pan is also different when using stock twins.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
[/QUOTE]
hvyman;1883698 said:
You just use a rear sump oil pan setup. The motors are the same.

You need the rear sump upper and lower pans, baffle, and pick up tube for the oil pump.

The drain on the pan is also different when using stock twins.

Correct.

Turbo Habanero;1883699 said:
The dip stick is different I believe also.

Correct.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I bent the front sump one off a chaser. Works but would look much better with a rear sump bolt on one.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
Don't want to start another thread so i figured I'd come here first. Alright, I'm swapping a Soarer 1JZ into an 88 Supra using BIC Pre-89 Crossmember brackets. My question is will a 2JZGE fan clutch/blade work with an aftermarket radiator (2" core aluminum Fluidyne) with a 2JZ waterpump and pulley work (clearence being the issue). I don't want to go electric as it gets really hot here during the summer and I don't know if I trust them. Thanks!

-Will

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
DOUBL3 D;1908029 said:
Don't want to start another thread so i figured I'd come here first. Alright, I'm swapping a Soarer 1JZ into an 88 Supra using BIC Pre-89 Crossmember brackets. My question is will a 2JZGE fan clutch/blade work with an aftermarket radiator (2" core aluminum Fluidyne) with a 2JZ waterpump and pulley work (clearence being the issue). I don't want to go electric as it gets really hot here during the summer and I don't know if I trust them. Thanks!

-Will

Ls clutch and 7m blades are the slimmest combo IIRC, we talked about this will :) you should be golden, just make sure your motor mounts are good and don't let the engine torque twist.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
BoostMonger;1908046 said:
Ls clutch and 7m blades are the slimmest combo IIRC, we talked about this will :) you should be golden, just make sure your motor mounts are good and don't let the engine torque twist.

Hmmmmmmmm I was unaware that this was the SLIMMEST combo. I was told to checkout Mark8 electric fans as aparantly they pull more than the clutchfan but pull 42 amps as well. I just dont want my radiator to turn to carnage :(

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
DOUBL3 D;1908049 said:
Hmmmmmmmm I was unaware that this was the SLIMMEST combo. I was told to checkout Mark8 electric fans as aparantly they pull more than the clutchfan but pull 42 amps as well. I just dont want my radiator to turn to carnage :(

It's the slimmest toyota clutch fan set up(bolt on), Aaron at drift is running it on his 1j and also has an oversized koyo rad. I've talked to him a lot about this haha. I have a big bad ass electric fan, yes it does wonderful. Until its In the high 80's then I turn on my a/c condenser fan. I have both wired to switches. And... I have to always look at the temp gauge. I hate that. And I've forgotten to flip the fan on. Now my valvetrain is noisy :(

MoparMarq

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver, WA
I apologize in advance for my noob question, but here goes. Plan on this swap also as my 86.5 NA is sitting in the driveway with the BHG. Haven't picked up an engine yet as I'm trying to study up (with your fellows' lively discussionary help) how best to proceed. Seems like the 2JZ-GE with VVTi with the R154 (slightly higher 5th than W58) would render the the most fuel economical and simplest daily driver. Is the VVTi engine compatible in this swap or does it require the non-VVTi version? (Please don't recommend turboing, as I don't care to go down that road - I have another car for that kind of fun.) Thanks. -Marq

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
I've got a couple questions regarding the A/C wiring dash-side,

p1940213_1.jpg

^ 1JZ IH1 pin 13 -> L1 pin 8 --- "comes from AC amplifier" Where is this 'amplifier'?

16198582_large.jpg

sorry for the 1-handed shaky-ness photo...
Connector B4 (MA70 engine to dash) do these leads need to be transfered over to the 1JZ harness for the AC?
B4 connector - 1.) A/C Water temp s/w no. 2 blue/white
2.) A/C water temp switch green/red

p1940213_2.jpg

^so if I were to use this I could place my low pressure 1JZ sensor and run a wire up to the 1JZ tach for addition signal?
I've already used the 7M sender + DM relocation line connected 1JZ IG1 - 21 to MA70 M1 - 7 (see below)

p1940213_3.jpg

^ IG1 1JZ side to switch on brake pedal - optional? is this for cruise control, or brake lamps? because I plan on deleting cruise control...

p1940213_4.jpg

"MA71 C1-6 comes from the A/C water temp sw no.2" gets connected to?

thanks in advance,

sources; http://1jz.com/tech/docs/wiring/

EDIT:

dashcomps.gif

I held the amplifier and the plugs looked to be a different shape/wire #'s than the diagram for Female L1 connector

Last edited:

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
91Supra313;1940220 said:
No offense but this is the exact reason I just ordered a plug and play harness through Dr Tweak. Good luck on sorting this out.

Thanks for all that you contributed!

Anyway some people like doing it themselves, and I applaud them for it.

Let me breake out my old harness and note and see if I can help you out. Is that a jza70 harness?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
1. If I'm not mistaken the a/c amp is tucked up above where the ecu is mounted. I just saw that the plugs don't look the same.

2. What year is your car?

3. What is the B4 connector? ???

4. Where do you see this? ^ IG1 1JZ side to switch on brake pedal - optional? is this for cruise control, or brake lamps? because I plan on deleting cruise control...

5. C1-6 is not used

6. Yes all three go together.

Last edited:

jesse_rc1991

May 29, 2012
austin
BoostMonger;1908046 said:

wouldnt an LS fan clutch work improperly because it setup to run counterclockwise instead of a 2jz clockwise fas rotation?

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
91Supra313;1940220 said:
No offense but this is the exact reason I just ordered a plug and play harness through Dr Tweak. Good luck on sorting this out.

S.A. supra;1940253 said:
Thanks for all that you contributed!

Anyway some people like doing it themselves, and I applaud them for it.

+1 Not to mention his harnesses are overpriced and their customer service has gone to shit. I couldn't even get a price quote or a phone call back from them so I had it done locally.