Your 1JZ-GTE And 2JZ-GTE Swap Guide For Dummies Discussion Thread!

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Oh man!!! Anyone ever have problems mounting the tranny to the frame? I can't get it lined up right. Looks like I am a 1/4 inch short of the holes. I'm at a lose. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
S.A. supra;1832281 said:
Oh man!!! Anyone ever have problems mounting the tranny to the frame? I can't get it lined up right. Looks like I am a 1/4 inch short of the holes. I'm at a lose. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Your transmission mount is flipped around or the crossmember is bent. When you put the mount on the R154, you use the rear most holes. Some R154 have three holes for the transmission mount, you use the rear two.

The curve by the bolt holes on the mount has to be facing the front of the car. When you look at it, you'll know what I mean.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
On a 2JZ swap:
I confirmed over the weekend that with a Mishimoto radiator, both a LS400/7M combo and a 2JZ clutch with shimmed/spaced GE fan fit but there is no room for a shroud. Both tests were confirmed with the older 3-row and newer 2-row Mishimotos.

My current setup is a 2JZ clutch with GE fan with about 1/4" to 1/2" cut off the rear of the blades to fit the fan shroud in with my 2-row Mishi.

- Mike

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey gang sorry if this has been addressed, but anyone know what gauge of wire the alternator-> battery is? Two parallel wires that are attached on the alternator nut. I will be wiring up the other 3 wire plug tomorrow, and I would like to do both leads at the same time if possible!! Thanks!

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
CRsupraiii;1839822 said:
Hey gang sorry if this has been addressed, but anyone know what gauge of wire the alternator-> battery is? Two parallel wires that are attached on the alternator nut. I will be wiring up the other 3 wire plug tomorrow, and I would like to do both leads at the same time if possible!! Thanks!

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

Not sure what stock size is, but most of us around my area use a 4ga wire.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
kneedragger85;1838887 said:
On a 2JZ swap:
I confirmed over the weekend that with a Mishimoto radiator, both a LS400/7M combo and a 2JZ clutch with shimmed/spaced GE fan fit but there is no room for a shroud. Both tests were confirmed with the older 3-row and newer 2-row Mishimotos.

My current setup is a 2JZ clutch with GE fan with about 1/4" to 1/2" cut off the rear of the blades to fit the fan shroud in with my 2-row Mishi.

- Mike

This is helpful.

I was going to try to fit a shroud soon, I think you just saved me some time ;)

Time to see what I can fab up.

Honestly, I was wondering if anyone has though of a low profile clutch fan/mount? I'm sure it would interfere with the water neck some but that can be remedied as well.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
ifyouaint1sturlast;1839877 said:
Honestly, I was wondering if anyone has though of a low profile clutch fan/mount? I'm sure it would interfere with the water neck some but that can be remedied as well.
The clutch is not the problem. The reason I went with the NA fan is because it sits closer to the engine than a GTE and I can shim it forward. There just isn't enough space for the thickness of the fan and fan shroud to sit between the water neck and radiator. That's why I had to cut the back tips of the fan to push it closer to the waterneck to clear space for the shroud. It'll make sense once you see it.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
I just read on the other forumm that 02-04 TUNDRA v8 clutch w/7M Blade will work AND it works with the shroud! (Koyo Radiator)

Found from other forum

jt2ma71;8788405 said:
tom1.jpg

tom2.jpg

tom3.jpg

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
OneJArpus;1841072 said:
Once i get back to work, i'm going to try and see if i can get a clutch, i already have the blade, anyone in NJ want to loan me a shroud?

There are two production date changes for the tundra, i will try both out and see what happens and provide a part # for the correct fan clutch. ET of completion 1-4 weeks if i can get a loaner shroud.