XTD Clutch scam!

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
7M-fanatic said:
I try to tell people that the XTD/OBX/other chinese junk on chinaBay is nothing but garbage.
And all I get is are things like "Your racist".
And chinaBay closes down my auctions if I mention any of these cheese merchants by name.

I wonder how long it will be before someone has a catastrophic failure of one of their mystery metal billet flywheels, and has his left foot chopped off after it explodes ?

This crap needs to stay in china !
All the rip-off look-alike BOVs,
All the rip-off Look-alike waste gates,
All the engine components, bearings, and gasket sets,
Etc., etc..

i somewhat understand, but at the same time, it wouldn't be on there if ppl didn't buy it. welcome to america, if there wasn't a market for cheap bovs, and wastegates, then they wouldn't be sold here. i have a true greddy tubular manifold. the ssautochrome manifold is the EXACT same manifold (much cheaper quality, and has been known to spit metal fragments out and break turbines). i could have gotten the ssautochrome manifold, but i wanted quality where it really counts. to each his/her own. it is annoying how you can't hardly find quality pieces on ebay, but it shows you how much of americans care about quality over price. take produce for instance, china is shipping in fruit by the boatloads and can beat local farmers prices. the quality is much less, but its putting our farmers out of business........ thats why i demand local...... oh well, thats my rant.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
greddy hks it dont matter it all comes from the same place manifold wise. I got my manifold from there no burs no problems ceramic coat it and it would be as good as the 1500$ ones if not better.
Also there is nothing wrong with the cheap bay intercoolers the 4 core 12" x 24"

The problem is this a USA company XTD putting a fake performance label onto a factory component and trying to paint over it.

Its funny how people here are quick to knock eastern technoligy when 95% of our stuff is from there to begin with and your supra was built over there after all so how bad can it be.

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
My Toyota was NOT made in frigging china !!
chinese turbo manifolds are crap.......
I have seen 6 month old OBX manifolds that have turned black, and scaled over like a 50 year old water pipe.
(the ones that make it that far, and not have the flange fall off)
I have had several 10 year old HKS & GReddy turbo manifolds, that still have a polished surface, even though they have darkened a little.
Their (chinese) intercoolers have a very high pressure drop when compared to a HKS, GReddy, or ARC.
Their turbos are even crapier than their manifolds,
And they Did NOT make my car..........
Comparing Japanese products to chinese junk is like
comparing apples to a pile of dog puke.........

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
bet those manifolds wheren't for our cars

MANY people are running SS autochrome manifolds with ZERO issues (hell, even IJ is running one).

I myself am running a chinese made DDP. The fitment wasn't perfect, but it was $200. Full SS, mandrel bent. Polishing was perfect, and so where the welds. It's darkened, but still looks great.

No, the chinese made intercoolers do NOT have the high pressure drop you claim they do. They are ALL USING THE SAME MACHINES TO MAKE THE PARTS. Same machines, different place, lower wages = lower prices.

There is cheap, crappy parts out there, but not all are from china. I've gotten worse crap from american made products...

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I agree OBX is crap i have heard several people say that but again im not arguing case by case you just cant generalize china as crap we are a capitalistic and free/cheap country if they sucked so bad no one would by them

goto http://manifold.cc tell me how crappy they are SS and ZHOUSHAN RACING are top of the line parts and if you talk a little bit to LIN you will notice his signature items at other high end shops like HKS GREDDY japan doesnt have cheap labor.

By the way what does TRD stand for guess what toyota doesnt make all their products and tell me how many of there parts originate in japan.

igotboost

Aug 16, 2007
Colorado
Curious if anybody is using a F1 Gripforce PP and clutch. Anyone experience any issues? I've got one installed with about 2,000 miles on it, and it seems to perfrom well. Just the usual chatter at low rpm take offs.

Dziuggy

eurotrash
Mar 31, 2005
san francisco, ca
dziuggy.com
nice post. here is some 1st hand experience and approximate power comparisons.

anyways i bought xtd (stage 3) clutch of ebay long time ago (~5 years ago) then i was a noob. it went in my car with engine rebuild and upgraded ct. definitely grabs better than stock. never had a problem with upgraded ct.

after that i had sp61gt, not a single problem there either.

after that full t04 sp63 (478whp 482wtq @ 22psi) thats when it started slipping. what happened was it works fine up to 18psi and then starts slipping (track with drag radials/ slicks and burn outs) so i am guestimating it starts to slip at low 400whp.

now on the other hand i have ~20000 miles on that thing and it still runs fine if i keep boost down (witch i do on the street) even after slipping on high boost on the track it does not slip on lower boost on the street.

so is it sucks ? no it is better than stock is it great no. the wrong part about all this is misrepresentation of the parts not the clutch it self. and 80% of the cars here will never need more of the clutch than this.

and there is another thing price point guy witch upgraded ct and low budget will do fine with this and i bet you that some of the better known companies do similar things to their low end clutches as well but sell it at a higher price.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
i dont like skimping on areas that are very important. for example, pistons, clutch, exhaust manifold. i got an expensive rsr exhaust, but it wasn't completely nessesary. exhausts are one of the things that you can skimp on, cause if it screws up, it doesn't ruin anything else.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I have the XTD stage3 clutch, and an OBX header on my n/a. Other than some slight fitment issues, and the O2 sensor bung being wrong, it functions perfectly. My one and only problem with the clutch is chatter. If you're in heavy stop and go traffic, it chatters and shudders. Other than that, it works great. We'll see how well it grabs when I put the new n/a to turbo motor in. Gonna get the crappy Chinese turbo header from Zoon, too, to go along with my XS T-70...

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
drjonez said:
not surprising @ all. the real test would be to get a PP from everyone- ACT, SPEC, etc. and measure them. it's a safe bet XTD aren't the only ones doing that...

I'd be willing to put up an ACT HD AND XT plate for this.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
all puck clutches do that to a certain extent...

mine will chatter if it don't give it gas when I let go of the pedal slowly (but who does that?)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I've got a 6 puck unsprung for the road course car that makes the tranny sound like it is a box of rocks. As Poodles says, it's normal for some (off road / race) clutches.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
I just got my South Bend clutch setup, looks just like the XTD one. Red painted outside and springs are more silver towards the inside from heating (can see the heated areas)

Don't most brands use a modified stock PP?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
prsrcokr said:
Don't most brands use a modified stock PP?
every brand uses the stock cast iron piece (except exedy hyper single)
the difference is how they make the pressure plate stronger. Some places double up the thickness of the spring, others like ACT actualy make their own diaphrams. I belive RPS makes the stiffest one, but its so stiff that it has caused crankwalk on more then a few cars. They are also SUPER expensive.

ACT XT is just a bit lower and I have never heard of crankwalk issues with them. I would always recomend bypassing your clutch safety swith if your going to be running an upgraded pressure plate.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Ckanderson said:
...but its so stiff that it has caused crankwalk on more then a few cars.

I believe you...but that's unbelievable!

On the bright side...I guess slippage under acceleration wouldn't be a concern anymore.

Can't help but wonder if the major factor here is:

a. strong pressure plate

b. weak crank

c. all of the above