XTD Clutch scam!

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
ms07s;1597498 said:
If and when it becomes necessary I will donate the price of an xtd cluch.

Now THAT'S irony for ya...LMAO! Imagine if everyone that chipped in did that; what would have gone to him for his product would instead be used against him in a court of law......PRICELESS!

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

suprahero;1597716 said:
Legal fund? You've got to be kidding me. There's no way you would need a lawyer to handle this guy and whatever lawyer he happens to have on retainer. I would however donate to a "new suit fund" so you look really pimpin while representing Supramania.com.............:biglaugh:

Barney_motivationalposter_2008isgoingtobe....jpg

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Mike has more self control than I.

You nipped it in the bud early. I may have let it go on for a bit for pure entertainment. He was his own one-man good cop/bad cop/stupid cop show.
They need to spend more money on QA/QC, because the money they spent on the English version of Rosetta Stone was obviously a waste.

..email from Rosetta Stone incoming.
"dont lying".

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Supracentral;1602330 said:
There are a couple of simple facts to consider.

1. Supramania is a private club. Every single membership account is approved, by hand, by me.
  2. The Supramania forum provides a platform for club members to voice opinions on a large variety of subject matter. One of those areas is reviews of products, companies and services.
  3. You retain the copyright on your posts, this means we don't own or control the contents of your posts, nor do we accept any liability or responsibility for what you post.
  4. We intercede when a posts contents pose a clear and present danger to the continued harmony of the SM community. Some examples would be posts which are clearly illegal (i.e. - threats of physical violence, etc) or when your post content disrupts the operation of this forum. In the case of this XTC Clutch thread, the posts in question don't contain any such content and appear to be nothing more than the legitimate views of a consumer who is questioning the quality of a product, and the practices of the company providing the aforementioned product.
  5. Consumer complaints are generally considered Constitutionally protected free speech. This is why, for example, PayPal can't do anything about websites like http://www.paypalsucks.com
  6. For a case to have any merit under a libel lawsuit, the onus of proof falls upon the plaintiff that they must prove the statement(s) in question were made with "actual malice". In translation, that means that the person making the statement knew the statement to be false, or issued the statement with reckless disregard as to its truth. I don't see that here, and even if I did I wouldn't be inclined to modify nor delete the posts in question as the content is not my responsibility.
  7. Not to mention Supramania's is owned in Canada, hosted in Texas, and operated out of multiple US states, Canada and Australia simultaneously. The jurisdictional nightmare of a case such as this alone makes it laughable.

Approaching and threatening me, Supramania and/or its staff is invalid, as neither I, nor any member of the staff made the statements in question. Attempting to coerce me into modifying or deleting the postings of a member while simultaneously threatening me with a lawsuit and slander is, at best, an attempt at extortion, an act that is clearly illegal.
So far I've been:

• Offered a $300 "donation" to take down the thread, implying that my integrity is for sale at discount rates.
  • Threatened with a baseless lawsuit in an attempt to coerce me into taking down the thread.
  • Threatened that he will "will write all toyota forums that you guys have very bad customer service" in an attempt to coerce me into taking down the thread.

Why exactly at this point would I be amicable to any request from this person?

After receiving threatening emails, I requested twice that they stop as I considered them harassing and unwanted. After my second request, I have received no further communication via email.

As far as I am concerned, the matter is settled from my perspective. When and if we receive any notice of complaint from a court of law, we will respond to jealously protect our interests. Until that time, this is all moot as far as Supramania is concerned.
Oh you gotta find the brains of crappy chinese wanna be manufactures funny. They make a blow @$$ product and know it and then when you have problems and they tell you to go stuff yourself, then you put up a review saying the product sucks, its YOUR fault, lol.
Like we should be gratefull they're selling us garbage that breaks cars. Oh well, i guess that what someone deserves who would buy a garbage clutch off Ebay for $200, what do you expect man? There's a reason why OS Giken clutches cost $1400, the NEVER BREAK!

JIMMY- since you like to read this thread so much, Supramania isnt ruining your business, you garbage crap is. Make better parts and you wont have this product. You expect to sell garbage to world forever? People will catch on, you think the people are stupid? (I'm expecting you to say YES which will make you look even worse :heh heh:)

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
To be honest, I didn't read all 25 pages of this thread. I just read the good parts. lol.

I'm not sure if I'm the first one to point this out or not... but... I could pretty much tell that XTD (or XTR or whoever this guy is calling himself these days) clutches are not what they claim to be based on the price alone. If ACT or Spec (or any other respected clutch company) could sell more clutches by dropping their prices they probably would... but you can only drop prices so far before you have to either give up quality or sell stuff at a loss.

The way I see it, this thread is nobody's fault but the guy who's selling the clutches. If he clearly stated that they only hold a little more power than a stock clutch, but engage faster and have a more sporty feel than stock... he wouldn't be losing business right now, and this thread would probably not be here. He probably wouldn't sell as many clutches, but he would have a better reputation and a better shot at staying in business long term.

The thing about this guy that really sets me off is that people like him are hurting our hobby. I know of at least one person that got out of this hobby because he bought a clutch from a guy just like this (possibly even this guy) on ebay and he paid to have it installed and then it slipped and wouldn't hold the power it claimed to. He was so discouraged by his loss of money (a couple hundred for the install, plus the clutch, plus another couple hundred to replace it with a stock clutch after he parted the mods out). He's also hurting the sales of the real clutch companies that support our hobby by sponsoring races, car shows, and forums. Oh wait. He did offer $300 (but that was to have his name removed from here, so I'm not sure that's a sponsorship).

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
gixxer750;1442524 said:
I don't know about the XTD pressure plate, as I didn't use it. When I broke my ACT disk center hub, I had an XTD 6 puck disk laying around.

I stuck it in my MKIV, as there was a street car shootout at the track the next day that I needed to win. It is still holding right now(I have a new ACT disk on the shelf now), and has held for three trips to the track with mid 11 second passes being pretty common, and 501 ft/lbs and 587 whp on tap. This was also on drag radials, launching at 5 psi on the two step at 4100 rpm.

The disk drives better than the act one with less chatter and nicer engagement, and has been holding this power for a while now. It also has about 3 K street miles on it, and does get driven in stop and go traffic.

I will report back when it fails, but for now, I'm very pleased with a clutch disk that I got for VERY cheap.

No doubt, horrible service and product.

However, I did think I would update this in fairness. The XTD disk/ACT PP combo is still in my MKIV. It has been the entire time, I have not removed the transmission since the last post 11/3/09 that this is quoted from. The clutch disk now has around 12K miles, probably around 20 more drag passes, and survived beating the LIVING HELL out of my car during TX2K10. I also drove the car to that event. It has recieved many street beatings, and many drag radial launches.

The disk has yet to slip, and is still holding strong. I've had a new clutch setup sitting on the shelf since my last post on this subject and have yet to install it. HOWEVER, it still has not surpassed the lifespan of the ACT disk that it replaced. The ACT was in my MKIII and then my MKIV for a total of 4-5 years and probably around 50K miles before it stuck itself to the flywheel and failed.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
gixxer750;1619369 said:
However, I did think I would update this in fairness. The XTD disk/ACT PP combo is still in my MKIV. It has been the entire time, I have not removed the transmission since the last post 11/3/09 that this is quoted from. The clutch disk now has around 12K miles, probably around 20 more drag passes, and survived beating the LIVING HELL out of my car during TX2K10. I also drove the car to that event. It has recieved many street beatings, and many drag radial launches.

The disk has yet to slip, and is still holding strong. I've had a new clutch setup sitting on the shelf since my last post on this subject and have yet to install it. HOWEVER, it still has not surpassed the lifespan of the ACT disk that it replaced. The ACT was in my MKIII and then my MKIV for a total of 4-5 years and probably around 50K miles before it stuck itself to the flywheel and failed.

I don't think the complaints were ever about the disc, but the pressure plate, but that still sounds like the disc is pretty tough.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
XTD just purchased a 7mgte RPS clutch kit from me. I shipped it to them and as soon as it arrived he places a papal dispute saying the item is "not as described". He then states in the paypal claim that the item was damaged and that he wanted several hundred dollars refunded to him. No phone call, no email, no nothing. just an instant paypal claim. He could of just called or emailed to say the item was damaged in transit, which would have been covered by fedex and would have instantly replaced by me. Then on top of it, he then leaves me negative feedback on ebay right away without ever even asking if I could fix this for him.

Now he still wants money, ignored request for a picture of the damage, and refuses to return the damaged item or even to allow me to make a call tag for the "damaged" Clutch to be returned to me.

I think he is trying to make his own discount on my clutch.

This just shows what kind of person runs XTD

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Sounds to me like he's trying to level the playing field by dragging the competition's reputation down to his level. The problem is, he didn't take out his wrath on the right guy. And it's not like he can sue 'the internet' anyway.

From here forward, I'd suggest anyone selling this guy anything needs to document it very thoroughly, so you can easily take him to court after he attempts to swindle you. Or, even better, don't sell him anything. Use the right to refuse service and deny him the ability to purchase from you.

Rich, I'm not sure what you've got in the way of options, but I'd start with talking to PP & Ebay, and move from there to legal counsel to find your best route. Anything that involves forcing this guy to scratch out a living growing beans in a third world country without any internet access would be doing the world a favor.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Aimco clutch AKA XTD clutches kept at me for weeks about this too Grim. He kept a paypal claim going for weeks. Never offered a picture to show me damage, never complied with my request to let fedex pick up the clutch to return it to me, never did comply with request to allow fedex to do a damage claim inspection. Total ass in every email he sent me. Tried to tell me he wanted 200 dollars refunded to him because a couple of the disc on the six puck got cracked in transit. Says he replaced the pads himself and then mailed to clutch kit to kuwait to another customer of his. But paypal rules favored me because all I had to do is request him to return the clutch kit for a refund. since he did not have it any longer, he had little options.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
haha Sadly a couple years back before doing too much research i purchased that EXACT kit. pressure plate, bearing, clutch. i had a shop install it which cost me $700 in labor. and the day i get it back the clutch pedal has SUPER bad vibration.

YES the pressure plate now that i look at pics was exactly the same as pictured in POST #1.

Even worse the shop said it would cost me all the labor AGAIN to pull the tranny and see what the problem was not to mention cost for parts. so i went to another shop had them pull the POS XTD clutch/pressure plate out and put in their own which years later to date is still working great.

FORTUNATELY i did get a refund from Aimco. as i returned the parts. that was the only upside to the whole issue.

My car as it sits now.

p1645708_1.jpg

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
RazoE;1645864 said:
Nice to see you're posting that beauty here, and not just SF..:D

haha ya been a member of SM since 08 as you can see just been mainly on SF. been realizing more and more SM has some GREAT info also. i'm def using that LED conversion thread to redo mine some time soon.

Supra60-1

May 29, 2005
Alabama
bluebullet89;1645708 said:
Even worse the shop said it would cost me all the labor AGAIN to pull the tranny and see what the problem was not to mention cost for parts. so i went to another shop had them pull the POS XTD clutch/pressure plate out and put in their own which years later to date is still working great.

What type of clutch did the shop put in? How much torque are you making?

Last edited by a moderator:

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
Supra60-1;1646426 said:
What type of clutch did the shop put in? How much torque are you making?

i had them just put in the stock replacement. i looked at the receipts but it didnt have the brand name on there. the clutch kit was like 275 or so. the reason i just went with that is cause i was hard up for money cause i just lost all the money previously to the other Transmission place. but i'm about 285-290 Torque last i checked lol and that was a WHILE ago.so not exactly sure. i'll post it up in my Sig soon as i get it dynoed again.