Wiring Harness Terminals

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Yep, i vote for a tech section sticky as well, these sorts of parts will become more necessary as Toyota discontinues more and more of their old parts.

Incidentally - figgie, any idea what awg or swg gauge wire is used in the harness, and where can you source it?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Kai,

the OEM harness?

They are using lots of 18-16 guage.

16 guage for the higher amperage runs.

18 for the normal.

have to check what wire is called as it is PVC based. That much I remember.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Everything you ever wanted to know (and then some) about the wiring and color coding scheme Toyota uses is in the Body Electrical Manual. Publication# STI1018E. There's so much there I'd need specifics in order to answer questions but figgie is correct in that most of it is insulated with one form or another of polyvinyl chloride. And not to be picky but the gauge is standard metric, not AWG. No surprise since the "A" in AWG stands for, well, you know...

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Good find!

Any chance you could point me to the connector hoods and terminals for the 7MGTE igniter? I need the igniter side, not the engine harness side.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
probably easiest to source the connector from a parts car/junk yard. The required terminals are those offerred on the eastern beaver page (sealed MT). These are the exact terminals used in the majority of plugs on our wiring harness.

If you wanted, you could just use two of the 4-pin connectors and de-pin the harness side plugs and pop the pins into the new connector.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Hmm, actually you have a good point that I should have thought of. I need only the terminals and can reuse the connector from another igniter. I want this mod to be plug compatible with a stock igniter so if it fails I can plug a spare igniter in and change the ignition back to multiplexed. New terminals prevents destroying a working igniter and introducing a lot of splices.

Thanks.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
bfr1992t;1287071 said:
Hmm, actually you have a good point that I should have thought of. I need only the terminals and can reuse the connector from another igniter. I want this mod to be plug compatible with a stock igniter so if it fails I can plug a spare igniter in and change the ignition back to multiplexed. New terminals prevents destroying a working igniter and introducing a lot of splices.

Thanks.

no problem...i did the same thing with my fuel injectors and coil pack wiring to avoid hacking up a brand new harness so I understand where you are coming from.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
adampecush;1276324 said:
the connectors themselves are not interchangable, but the pins are exactly the same. You can de-pin and install a new plug pretty easily. I did this for my fuel injectors to avoid chopping up my harness.

edit: I've got 3 old wiring harnesses kicking around and could probably de-pin one of the connectors you are looking for and send it to you...pm me if you want.

So these arent the same as the factory plugs? I was hoping the 4 pin was identical to the factory cps and coil pack plugs. So does Sumitoto still make the plugs from our harness at all, or just similar ones?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
GC89;1287169 said:
So these arent the same as the factory plugs? I was hoping the 4 pin was identical to the factory cps and coil pack plugs. So does Sumitoto still make the plugs from our harness at all, or just similar ones?

correct, they are not interchangable. The original series connectors are discontinued, but they likely still make compatible connectors. Good luck finding them one-off though. Sumitomo's site really only caters to the OEMs. Dealers may still carry them though.

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
Is the a place that sells new complete wiring harness? I called my local toyota dealer and he said the no longer can get it. its a 87 7mgte with aut transmisson+TEMS.Any ideas?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Are you going for a two-pin jumper (i.e. for the check engine light) or something that plugs into each female pin? If going for the former, a paperclip has always worked for me.

With that said, I can check compatability next time I'm around my stash of spare parts.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Bumping this up to ask another question-

Are the .090 pins what I'll need for making an adapter harness at the ECU end? Anyone know what size pins those are? Just trying to think/plan ahead for 7M->Pickup swap so I don't have to cut my truck harness, or my Supra engine harness apart.

.090 Terminals Link

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
shaeff;1489575 said:

Are the .090 pins what I'll need for making an adapter harness at the ECU end? Anyone know what size pins those are? Just trying to think/plan ahead for 7M->Pickup swap so I don't have to cut my truck harness, or my Supra engine harness apart.

.090 Terminals Link

I just placed an order elsewhere for a couple of different contacts. If either fit I'll let you know the p/n. As I have a 92T these will fit the later mk3 harness.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
shaeff;1489575 said:

.090 Terminals Link

no, i believe the harness end terminals are made by AMP. they should be the same terminals that are sold for the 12-pin AEM plug (i think HPF has them)