WI Supra owners.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
I will for sure be doing the map proving grounds and black hawk farms dates listed above. The cwscc is running the map proving grounds hpde and auto-x. They know how to run good events.

Sam-what are your plans for your car? What makes it bad for auto x? You ever done one in it?

usdm_anon

Mar 20, 2010
Madison, WI
87M-GTE;1798511 said:
Any of you guys planning on making it to texas this march? I've got my room reserved already :)

I'd like to do the powercruise also, excuse to do rolling burnouts! Why not ;)

Trying to make it to texas, it's not 100% though.

I'm trying to get to as many drift events as possible!

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
supradjza80;1798640 said:
Sam-what are your plans for your car? What makes it bad for auto x? You ever done one in it?

Its kind of a highway machine, anything before 4th gear is now wheel spin.. I have not driven an auto x.
IDK, I'm torn. Do more or leave it. I'm maxxed out of injector right now, debating whether or not to go with bigger injectors and a different fuel set up or just drive the hell out of it.

As of now, I am kinda leaning towards keeping it as is and getting really good at driving it. Maybe more next summer..I was thinking of FIC 1650cc, Homemade custom fuel rail, sumped tank - external pump and then I'll need a bigger map sensor. Then its 30+psi time.

Hotel reservations are made for TX! :)
I kinda want to get into drifting also this year.

Sam

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I'm not much for build threads, but I thought it would be nice to get some feedback from you local guys. I've got a lot going on with this and sometimes it gets to be a pain to keep track of it all but hopefully the results will be worth it.

Here's the transplant recipient that I picked up a year ago for a good price and have just had sitting around until I could get to this. It was a turbo, targa, auto car and is going to be a 2J manual swap running proefi and E85.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I picked up the 2J motor and starting tearing it down, getting rid of the stock twins and intake and prepping the head to go to the machine shop for new cams, springs, retainers and a valve job and a slight decking.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I'm also in the middle of building the R154 with all the MC parts and a full rebuild kit from Driftmotion. The gears look pretty good, but I may need to try and find a new third. It's not too bad, but since it's apart it might as well be perfect when I put it back together. I literally have supra parts all over my house lol

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I like to decorate with shiny new parts haha

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I'm starting out small this year with a PTE 6266 DBB billet wheel turbo and 264 cams since it will be stock compression this year and I don't want a worthless powerband. Next winter I'll build the bottom end and go with a bigger turbo and more aggressive cams. Looking forward to complaining and begging for answers from you guys while I put all this shit together.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
87M-GTE;1799744 said:
Its kind of a highway machine, anything before 4th gear is now wheel spin.. I have not driven an auto x.
IDK, I'm torn. Do more or leave it. I'm maxxed out of injector right now, debating whether or not to go with bigger injectors and a different fuel set up or just drive the hell out of it.

As of now, I am kinda leaning towards keeping it as is and getting really good at driving it. Maybe more next summer..I was thinking of FIC 1650cc, Homemade custom fuel rail, sumped tank - external pump and then I'll need a bigger map sensor. Then its 30+psi time.

Hotel reservations are made for TX! :)
I kinda want to get into drifting also this year.

Sam

So what is all done to it/current specs and what is your approximate HP? I thought you were running midsize turbos so spool should be good and similar to my old school t61, and you can turn down the boost to make throttle control easier until you get the hang of it. I honestly think if more people tried auto-x/track days their goals for their cars would change a lot. To me right around 600 whp is the perfect setup for a 3L I6T, it can get up on boost quickly, pull hard and is responsive so it is good for track days and auto-x. I plan to run the smallest turbo that can make mid 600's whp when I am all done with my 97. Currently with about 420 whp based on trap speed its an absolute blast even on very tight courses. I would recommend coming up to a Shawano event, which is the track the following videos were filmed.

[video=youtube;2J7X6Dlj6m8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J7X6Dlj6m8&list=UUCxSxhtt1DW53veboN2K7vg&index=2&feature=plcp[/video]

[video=youtube;oPjq-2Zg04w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPjq-2Zg04w&list=UUCxSxhtt1DW53veboN2K7vg&index=23&feature=plcp[/video]

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Mr Bojangles- Looks like a cool project. Is the ProEFI going to be controlling the VVTi for you? Car should be a blast, those PT62xx turbos are pretty phenomenal. Also, that transmission looks so clean, but really on your kitchen counter! :)

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
supradjza80;1799977 said:
So what is all done to it/current specs and what is your approximate HP? I thought you were running midsize turbos so spool should be good and similar to my old school t61, and you can turn down the boost to make throttle control easier until you get the hang of it. I honestly think if more people tried auto-x/track days their goals for their cars would change a lot. To me right around 600 whp is the perfect setup for a 3L I6T, it can get up on boost quickly, pull hard and is responsive so it is good for track days and auto-x. I plan to run the smallest turbo that can make mid 600's whp when I am all done with my 97. Currently with about 420 whp based on trap speed its an absolute blast even on very tight courses. I would recommend coming up to a Shawano event, which is the track the following videos were filmed.

Yes, That event is one I plan on making! I meant more like cones in a parking lot kind of auto-x, that would suck in my car.

I got rid of the PTE 6262 and now am running a BW 91-79 (S366) More boost, tuned really well on E85. Its making easy ~550whp. I dont have a boost controller, just wastegate :( thats one thing I wanted to do this summer also..
I would need better tires or have to turn the boost down, as it sits, it spins my brand new 275-45-17 NT 555s all through third gear. Track and drift will be a blast with this set up, I got pretty used to it last summer - got about 2.5 months of driving with this set up.

Looks real good Mr Bojangles! Let us know if you'd like a hand with anything :)

Sam

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Sam, a S366 really is still a midsize turbo and should spool pretty well yet I would think, at least on a 3.0 liter. But with your extra revs I would assume it responds relatively well. Have any dyno charts plotting power and boost vs Rpm?

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
supradjza80;1800281 said:
Sam, a S366 really is still a midsize turbo and should spool pretty well yet I would think, at least on a 3.0 liter. But with your extra revs I would assume it responds relatively well. Have any dyno charts plotting power and boost vs Rpm?

No dyno sheets yet.. It makes full boost by ~4500RPMs and keep in mind I have cams so it literally pulls and pulls and pulls lol
Heres my tuners car to get an idea -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kk0q342KZc

Very similar setup, slightly smaller turbo, more boost and tuned more "agressively" than my car.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
supradjza80;1799989 said:
Mr Bojangles- Looks like a cool project. Is the ProEFI going to be controlling the VVTi for you? Car should be a blast, those PT62xx turbos are pretty phenomenal. Also, that transmission looks so clean, but really on your kitchen counter! :)

Dave - I'm going to be non-vvti until next year because I'm running smaller (264) cams this year because I'll still be stock compression and I don't want to spend 1100 bucks on Titans 264 vvti cams just to run for one summer. Next year after building the motor and bumping up compression I'll spring for the bigger Titan vvti cams. Unless GSC decides to make some between now and then.

The garage is too dirty for building transmissions haha.

Peter

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
A few of my friends run at Shawano and I plan to with the Supra once it's done. It will be ready for straight line racing by Automotion, but won't be track worthy till late July. I do have full suspension on my challenger but I really don't want to stuff a car I'm still making payments on into the fence.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
What do you rev the engine out to, 8k rpm? When does the car start to make useable power? I would say my T61 attains full boost (14 psi in my case) at around 3500 rpm based on gear. The car is moving by 2500 rpm though and I only rev it to the stock 2jz limiter @ 7k and have plenty of powerband. I would recommend using a small 8psi wastegate spring and trying some cone dodging. I bet the car is better at it then you think!

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
supradjza80;1801073 said:
What do you rev the engine out to, 8k rpm? When does the car start to make useable power? I would say my T61 attains full boost (14 psi in my case) at around 3500 rpm based on gear. The car is moving by 2500 rpm though and I only rev it to the stock 2jz limiter @ 7k and have plenty of powerband. I would recommend using a small 8psi wastegate spring and trying some cone dodging. I bet the car is better at it then you think!

Hmmm yes, perhaps :)

I have revved it out to about 8,250 a few times, but it feels comfortable revving to 7,500 all day so thats usually about where I take it. Useable power...It starts moving at 4K, then full boost comes in hard and fast at 45-4600.

Either way, I am going to try to make it to as many events I can this year.