why do people run without timing covers?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
jessemkiiis;1729910 said:
i realize, what im saying is most people who dont run the covers are usually show cars or dyno queens.
not dailey drivers.
but if i had some badass cam gears and timing belt i wouldnt run a cover, then again ive owned my car for over two years and might have put 400 miles on it.
Hell, I've got aftermarket cam gears and I run a cover... anyone who says its because they are "tuning" them... once they're set you will never really mess with them again unless you change your setup. It's more of just a way to say look at me.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
radiod;1729897 said:
could be because they forgot to put it back on after putting everything back together and having noticed it after finally getting all the gurgly noises out of the cooling system they really don't want to take that upper rad hose back off to put the timing cover back in....lol

lol!!!!!!

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
Speaking of this, are there alternative thermostat outlets to use so that the timing cover can be taken off without tampering with the cooling system

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I don't even have a back plate or front cover :)

Reason it looks different that is all and when I work on my car I put a rag in there so nothing falls in

I do have a fail safe for it thou but again i ran out of time and well be made later on

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
i dont have the upper it was gone when i bought the car.. since then we've done tons of work and i just keep failing to purchase one.

Although i do DD my car in te Arizona Desert on Dirt roads alot ive never had a rock thrown up in 34k miles

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
LoveMySupra;1730302 said:
Speaking of this, are there alternative thermostat outlets to use so that the timing cover can be taken off without tampering with the cooling system

Get a radiator with the upper hose mounted more to the passenger side. Ultimately, it has to cross over and that is why it is to the side.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Nick M;1730776 said:
Get a radiator with the upper hose mounted more to the passenger side. Ultimately, it has to cross over and that is why it is to the side.

nashman has thermostat spacers, ive got the prototype on my car. no need to remove the top coolant tube to access the cam gears.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The radiator should have a draincock. Drain a little bit of coolant below the thermostat, then use the hose clamp pliers on the hose. Of course, if you don't own that tool....It is going to spill out. Taking off the timing cover should only take a couple of minutes. I would like to see a picture of the spacer too.