why do people run without timing covers?

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
Hi, been trying to search this but all I find are for sale or build threads...

My question is, why do people drive without the upper timing cover? Am I the only paranoid person that fears rocks getting down into the belt area?

The engine I'm about to drop in my car doesn't have the back plate for the upper timing cover so I'm only going to be able to secure the cover with the two outer lower bolts. I'd put the back plate on but I was unable to bust the pulley bolt and am bypassing anything that can be replaced by pulling off the crank pulley, including the upper rear timing cover plate. I guess I can use my new nifty dremel to cut away at the plate so it can be slid into place... (Had to buy a dremel to remove the pilot bearing from the crank.)

Has anyone ran their car without that rear black plate but with the timing cover? Do you think the cover will hit or rub the belt/gears? Obviously, I am still paranoid of a rock finding it's way into the timing cover from behind the cam gears.... wtf lol

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Because it looks so cool! I wouldn't do it myself. Some people may claim that it's for ease of acess to their adjustable cam gears. I figured once you have them set you shouldn't have to do anymore adjusting. Besides, it really is easy to get that cover off.

BTW, you don't have to remove the crank pulley to get the upper rear timing cover off. You'd just have to remove the cam gears. Many people are parting out their cars right now. You could get one of those covers pretty cheap.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Best bet is to leave it on, there is no advantage to taking it off besides access if you have adjustable gears, but like powaz said once they are tuned, cover should be put back on to protect the belt and pulleys. I would buy a plate for behind the cam gears, I wouldn't run without one. The wiring harness runs right along the back of it and without the plate there you risk rubbing the harness, and you don't need me to tell you that would be bad. Should be able to find one in the for sale section for very cheap.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Could be because they forgot to put it back on after putting everything back together and having noticed it after finally getting all the gurgly noises out of the cooling system they really don't want to take that upper rad hose back off to put the timing cover back in....lol

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
i realize, what im saying is most people who dont run the covers are usually show cars or dyno queens.
not dailey drivers.
but if i had some badass cam gears and timing belt i wouldnt run a cover, then again ive owned my car for over two years and might have put 400 miles on it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Even if I were to have a show car, I'd still have a cover for the cam gears... it would be clear if I really wanted to show those off though. ;)

Personally I'm the type of guy who likes sneaky mods, that's what I like about my car in it's current form... there's probably 30-40hp hiding in my head that nobody but the guy who worked on it and the few that saw the work that went into it would know about. :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Cam gears are illegal in the state of cali. Id leave my on no matter what.

Plus you happen to hit s a bunch of gravel or something and a rock flys up there. Could mean disaster on your tbelt and gears.

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
After some inspection and pondering about how I can cut up the back plate so I can insert it behind the cam gears and belt... that idea failed so I put that effort into getting that darn pulley bolt off.
Let's just say it took the engine/trans to be connected, a biiiiiiig breaker bar and my 2 other house mates. Booyah!
Finally! hehe
Back plate to be properly installed and all the seals replaced!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I'm not understanding which backing plate you're refering to.
Is it the No.2 timing belt cover?

EM_040.gif

And which pulley bolt did you have a hard time removing? One of the cam gear bolts??

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
But its so expensive.....100+$.......That could get me a could get me a cool light show gauge or some washers to raise my boost.<sarc>

I wouldnt order from suprasport either.

Is that your bay bioskyline?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
no thats the pic from supra sport. but that is much better than running without, or cutting a hole in the timing cover.

the clear covers do pop on ebay every now and again to. but im sure suprasport is not the only one who sells this (was first link on google though)

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
Suprapowaz!(2);1730082 said:
I'm not understanding which backing plate you're refering to.
Is it the No.2 timing belt cover?

EM_040.gif

And which pulley bolt did you have a hard time removing? One of the cam gear bolts??

Yes, I am referring to that no.2 timing cover. Pardon the confusion.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Why do people run stretched tires, excessive camber, stupid long tailpipes, wear baseball caps backwards and so on.... it's a fad nothing more.

Only saving grace for this one is Toyota got the waterneck wrong so you can't R&R the cover easily for Pully adjustment, having said that though most Cam tuning can be done in a single day so that's how long a 7M should be without a cover at any one time.