Why did it leak?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I had some brand new Toyota Tail light gaskets laying around the house, so today I decided to get off my ass for a bit. I just can't figure out why the old ones leaked. Look at all 3 pictures and maybe you can figure it out.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Note the missing studs at the top right and bottom left. Top right just happened to be adjacent to the spot where the new gaskets had a peel and stick adhesive added on. The old looked like they just stuffed it full of leaves there. I think kthe new style will work better. I used a small amount of silicone along the raised bead between the gasket and light, and again between the gasket and the body. that along with the 4 mounting tabs provided a very snug seal, and absolutely no visible silicone.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here is all of the old gasket that was present both on the light and the car all on the top of my little stool. I used the opportunity to swap in some brand new bulbs while the holders were removed. I was so pleased with myself for finally getting this taken care of.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Was your car ever rear-ended? I've never taken tail lights off a Mk3, but that area looks kinda funny to me. If so, that might have something to do with it. If not, disregard this. :)

That said, congrats on fixing a nagging issue!

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Looks pretty normal to me.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

As to why they leak, I've seen many finger tight tail light fasteners on many older cars, I suspect the gasket shrinks with age. As also mentioned, a missing stud will do it, tail lights definitely change shape when they age as well, no stud allows deformation at that corner.
I gave up on tail light gaskets years ago and use butyl sealant now.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I got brand new total gaskets 3 years ago and I took off the tails 6 months ago and couldn't believe how deteriorated they already were. They go quick.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I ignored this problem on my 88 winter beater until I got a flat and my spare was frozen into the wheel well with 2 inches of ice. What a bitch that was, change them now if you haven't already done it.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
mine were shot and water got under my rear seat from the flooding... Ordered new ones from elmhurst toyota.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
xzeror;1810758 said:
mine were shot and water got under my rear seat from the flooding... Ordered new ones from elmhurst toyota.

Your taillight gaskets were shot so you got water under your rear seats? Sheesh did it flood 2 feet in the hatch and not spill out anywhere before it went over the hump in the back to the seat?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
xzeror;1810758 said:
Holy cow man... your car holds a lot of water!

Might as well do this with the shell, I think we're gonna swap over the 89's tails anyway. :)

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Just a quick note, I found another place water enters the boot on these cars and it seems undocumented on the forums. The hatch seal, where it turns the lower corner above the tail lights, shrinks and rolls over with age. On my car, water is clearly visible on the seal area when I lift the hatch after rain or washing the car. I suspect there is an area of high pressure that builds up near this gasket, or water runs down the side of the hatch and leaks over the seal in this area. Water leaking in through this seal will also partially run into the large plastic tailgate trim, giving a false indication of leaking spoiler or wiper motor.

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Typhoon;1811055 said:
Just a quick note, I found another place water enters the boot on these cars and it seems undocumented on the forums. The hatch seal, where it turns the lower corner above the tail lights, shrinks and rolls over with age. On my car, water is clearly visible on the seal area when I lift the hatch after rain or washing the car. I suspect there is an area of high pressure that builds up near this gasket, or water runs down the side of the hatch and leaks over the seal in this area. Water leaking in through this seal will also partially run into the large plastic tailgate trim, giving a false indication of leaking spoiler or wiper motor.
thanks dude ill have to check my hatch seal

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
ForcedTorque;1811076 said:
Calling Grimjack........Do you know a part number or pricing on a hatch seal? Not sure I need it, but if it's anything like a pair of tail light gaskets, I'd be all over it. I know, I'm dreaming
Sure, that's 67881-14110, and it's ~$50.00. I've bought a couple of 'em over the years, one for each Mk3 I own.