Who thinks the LHC will end the world or have any chance of doing anything harmful?

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
same thing i posted over on SF about this...

guys these are 2 different colliders. CERN has been in business since the early 2000's with many others operating around the world. The difference is in the size factor. CERN was, up until recently, one of the largest. This new collider is larger and will allow larger/faster reactions to occur. Same thing happened then with doom-sayers that the world would end and the same thing happened when nuclear weapons were developed (although then it was that the atmosphere would ignite iirc).

Bottom line its a new frontier and I look forward to seeing the results.

ive been to CERN and its a cool place and last i heard was still there (not a black hole....)

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
speed;1125981 said:
Cause if you're one of em, don't ever ever ever open your mouth about anything related to physics again.

WTF, no, I will not keep my mouth shut. I don't care what anyone says, this kinda of crap is a little too deep for very immature human race, whether it's going to timewarp the planet or inplode the universe. We can't even get a handle on the world economy and want to jump into Quantum Leap/Star Trek science shit.

Same thing happened then with doom-sayers that the world would end and the same thing happened when nuclear weapons were developed

Nuclear winter is a very real possibility, it may not "end the world" but could destroy all or most of the life on it. I would say that is fairly "dooming".

While agree that these astounding leaps in technology are really cool, they're also really dangerous. It would be different if our civilization had matured enough to not start wars, had no money or religion to fight over and it was all happy peace and joy, but we're a LONG way from that and there's always some insane, power corrupt government out there that will try to contract these new scientific discoveries and use them for weapons.

Sorry for the rant, just bored I guess.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Err... the debate on nuclear weapons wasn't about nuclear winter. When the US dropped the first atom bombs, there was a significant number of people who were certain they were going to be powerful enough to start a chain reaction that would burn off the entire atmosphere. The theory was there to support the claim, too.

This didn't actually occur, of course - but the people calling the shots didn't know this in advance, so in effect, they risked killing the entire planet.

Will the LHC do anything worse? Not likely... but one thing is for certain, Physicists don't have all the answers ... yet.

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
I would be more worried about the biologist that is bringing not living matter to life!
It may not all end up bad with this thing, who knows, they may turn the country into a giant pool of crude oil.
I know I know, wishful thinking.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Tanya;1126045 said:
WTF, no, I will not keep my mouth shut. I don't care what anyone says, this kinda of crap is a little too deep for very immature human race, whether it's going to timewarp the planet or inplode the universe. We can't even get a handle on the world economy and want to jump into Quantum Leap/Star Trek science shit.

Hahahahha you've got to be kidding, right?
1) Its going to take a few months for the collider to get the particles going the speeds they need to go, then they have to wait for the collision to happen.
2) When that happens, it might create darkmatter/antimatter/whatevermatter. It'll create the same amount as was introduced
3) If you could have enough antimatter to put on a shelf, you could, put it on the shelf. Just, that bit of the shelf would cancel eachother out. You're adding -3 + 3.... = 0.

Economics are starkly different to physics. If you notice, one involves human nature, which isn't exactly stable.

But here, I'll do you a favor and do the research for you.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13555-particle-smasher-not-a-threat-to-the-earth.html
http://arxiv.org/abs/0806.3381

But since reading tends to make peoples' head hurt, here's a fun video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM

Edit: Oh and one more thing:

To the naysayers, what makes you think that you are more capable to make a judgement on this than scientists who spend their ENTIRE CAREERS running out equations and studying nothing but this? Your 4 year degree in _____ gives you enough of an educated guess to say "hey fuck you international scientists, you're just a stupid scientist, you don't know what you're doing." Please, get over yourself. You're like that southpark episode "Okay Mister s c i e n t i s t. Pah."

Last edited:

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
im watching a show about it on the history channel now, and no i dont think anything negative will happen.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
easily? do you have ANY idea what all is tied up in the project and how many people, nay, nations are invloved? I would hardly call it easy!

People concerned about the end of mankind brought about particle collision simply dont understand science.

SupraOfDoom;1126161 said:
I don't think it will happen... but there are more things about physics we DON'T know... so it could happen.
Fallacy, Appeal to probability: because something could happen, it is inevitable that it will happen. This is the premise on which Murphy's Law is based. If you find yourself afraid of the consequences of this experiment you might have fallen victim to this type of reasoning.

Tanya, watch the video Tim posted (also posted in that other thread), it explains whats happening pretty simply and maybe if its all "rapped" up nice and neat for you it will make more sense. ;)

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Look, I get your point of view, and everyone elses. I am not worried about the world ending over this, just stating that I don't think the world is ready for this awesome technology/knowledge and/or what it may lead to yet...and I don't care how big of a "fool" you or anyone else thinks that makes me, it's just my damned opinion. And my apologies if my opinion offends or annoys, it's not meant to.