who knows about aluminum welding?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
It is a casting, IIRC, alloyed with about 4% Mg. Chemically, it should weld to 6063 no problem; however, castings generally aren't the easiest to weld due to porosity and impurities. With that said, toyota Al castings are apparently better than most, so you should be ok. I had a 6061 flange welded to a manifold without issue.

My only advice would be to clean the areas to be welded thoroughly to remove dirt and grease (clean in an ultrasonic bath or aluminum hot tank). This will make welding a whole lot easier.

edit: use 4043 filler and you should be golden.

Last edited:

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
My personal choice is 6061-t6 welded to cast, using pure argon, red tungsten, and 5356 welding rod.

The Toyota castings are superior to other cast aluminums. Be careful when you clean it. DO NOT MEDIA / SAND BLAST IT.

Clean with a new sanding disk (not used on other metals) and a new (not used on other metals) stainless wire brush.

boosted2085

I was spoolin :(
Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
the plenum is 6063 and the end cap and tb plate is 6061...i wanted to make a ffim with the stock runners thats why i was wondering if i can use them or i would have to buy the runner piping

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
MDCmotorsports;1373052 said:
My personal choice is 6061-t6 welded to cast, using pure argon, red tungsten, and 5356 welding rod.

The Toyota castings are superior to other cast aluminums. Be careful when you clean it. DO NOT MEDIA / SAND BLAST IT.

Clean with a new sanding disk (not used on other metals) and a new (not used on other metals) stainless wire brush.

What's the reasoning behind this Jon?

supisarethebest

bhg all day!!!!
Feb 19, 2009
rhode island
i work for a welding company and i know that it takes a very skilled welder to do aluminum only because its the most difficult metal to heat it puddles up very quickly,dont be offended im just trying to look out,make sure he reaaly know how to weld aluminum

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
boosted2085;1373374 said:
probably because of contaminating the aluminum

2% Thoriated Tungstens are usually used for Steel so I was curious to hear Jon's reasoning behind suggesting them as I'm still learning with the Tig and am eager to improve my welding.

boosted2085

I was spoolin :(
Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
well the welder said he couldnt do it...so back to the drawing board..probably gonna have to shell out the money for rons ffim or beechperformance ffim

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
find a new welder...although, unless you are getting a bro deal, its probably cheaper to go with a pre-fabbed intake.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
boosted2085;1373374 said:
probably because of contaminating the aluminum

Partially.

IJ.;1373375 said:
What's the reasoning behind this Jon? 2% Thoriated Tungstens are usually used for Steel so I was curious to hear Jon's reasoning behind suggesting them as I'm still learning with the Tig and am eager to improve my welding.

Over the years of welding aluminum, I have found that the Orange (2% Ceriated, non radioactive) or Red (2% Thoriated, radioactive) sharpened to a small or even a blunt point will work better when welding aluminum to the fact that the arc is more stable.

I have used green tungsten over the years with success, but under low current or between pulse widths, experienced a wandering arc.

I've also seen green tungsten contaminate the weld pool by actually falling off or vaporizing under extreme amperage.

As I've come in contact with more and more thin sheet aluminum (.090"), I have found myself using the Orange 3/32" tungsten sharpened to a point.

The orange stays clean longer than the red in my opinion, and appears to start easier under low amperage.

buckshotglass;1373368 said:
Weld it the same day you clean it.

Heck, weld it the same hour you clean it.