Which way is better in a race

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I've only done it a few times in my Supras... The eight feet I have to move the shifter in between gears kinda makes me nervous about the whole thing. I can shift regularly just about as fast simply due to the distance involved, although you do loose more boost shifting normally that wasn't too big of a deal in my case because all three have been CT or upgraded CT cars.

In my Cobra on the other hand, my right foot doesn't move once it drops... Traction on the 1-2 and depending on my burnout and/or conditions the 2-3 shift can become a problem. It's noticeably faster than regular shifting in that car, but between the bump stops on my shifter and the ~5cm I actually have to move my hand there's basically no danger of me missing a gear.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
I tried double clutching and found out that its just a waist of time. The time that you take to take your foot off the gas then step on the clutch then put it in neutral then .......................... its just a thing that makes you look good, nothing more.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I know I'm from the south and most of the time we're backwards on these things, but it's always been called "speed shifting" here, and not power shifting.

Fortunately for me, there aren't a lot of fast domesticated cars around here, so I can take my time between shifts.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i always double clutch my baby.

'cause i need to :D

p1499213_1.jpg

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
I think that it all depends on the situation that your in. if you were confident that your going to win then there is no need to power shift, but some times desperate times call for desperate measures.
after all you have to uphold the mane of the almighty supra.

sm_photo_missing.jpg
to
sm_photo_missing.jpg

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
power shifting isnt too healthy but there are great advantages. i know it spins that through-out bearing on the clutch so fast that it wears out faster than the friction plate

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
twan;1499265 said:
power shifting isnt too healthy but there are great advantages. i know it spins that through-out bearing on the clutch so fast that it wears out faster than the friction plate

That doesnt make sence. Shifting at 6500rpm slow or fast the bearing is still spinning 6500rpm.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
power shifting. I used to practice this at an old job. I did about 20 runs down the track and fried a brand new clutch. Never missed a shift either. Fun to do, and maybe a little quicker 1/4 mile but not worth a clutch every 2 nights

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
OK, so you run the tach up to the shift point, not let off the gas, and nail the clutch for a super-fast shift.......
Just what does the rpm climb to in the few tenths of a second that the load is removed from the engine.
Oh yeah, it bounces off the rev limiter.
Bouncing a 7M off the rev limiter is one of the major causes of rod bearing failure......
Keep it up, I am sure I will see you start a thread shortly about 'the dreaded rod knock'.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep thinking that...

That's the reason the rev limiter is there, no it won't cause rod knock.

Also, thanks for bumping a thread that's over a year old :p

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
Poodles;1703434 said:
Keep thinking that...

That's the reason the rev limiter is there, no it won't cause rod knock.

Also, thanks for bumping a thread that's over a year old :p

LOL..Agreed....I didn't even realize the post was that old. Interesting though!

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
i hit rev limiter once...on accident

its no use though if your running a ct26 (57trim) or not you don't gain any power after 5800rpm anyways

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
CT26smoker;1703430 said:
OK, so you run the tach up to the shift point, not let off the gas, and nail the clutch for a super-fast shift.......
Just what does the rpm climb to in the few tenths of a second that the load is removed from the engine.
Oh yeah, it bounces off the rev limiter.
Bouncing a 7M off the rev limiter is one of the major causes of rod bearing failure......
Keep it up, I am sure I will see you start a thread shortly about 'the dreaded rod knock'.

:umno: