Which way is better in a race

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Here is the store:
while my cuz was driving my supra we saw a 300ZX turbo, so he started looking at me with a big smile on his face, so i told him to go for it. we and the ZX lined up at 10mph then stepped on the gas, the ZX had one-hell of a beating :biglaugh:.

anyway, while my cuz was stepping on the clutch and changing gears he never took his foot off the gas, but he shifts fast so i didnt smell the clutch disc. unlike me who takes his foot off. so we had an argument about which way is better, and what is the difference between them.
so what do you guys think?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
mjsn1;1498819 said:
Here is the store:
while my cuz was driving my supra we saw a 300ZX turbo, so he started looking at me with a big smile on his face, so i told him to go for it. we and the ZX lined up at 10mph then stepped on the gas, the ZX had one-hell of a beating :biglaugh:.

anyway, while my cuz was stepping on the clutch and changing gears he never took his foot off the gas, but he shifts fast so i didnt smell the clutch disc. unlike me who takes his foot off. so we had an argument about which way is better, and what is the difference between them.
so what do you guys think?

Had he missed just one gear he probably would have grenaded the trans...it's not worth the risk and really doesn't do much for you....it's pointless and does more harm than good!

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
gaboonviper85;1498829 said:
Had he missed just one gear he probably would have grenaded the trans...it's not worth the risk and really doesn't do much for you....it's pointless and does more harm than good!

Thats exactly what i told him. I don't see much difference either. As long as you can shift fast there wont be any difference.

thanks.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
It definitely helps your times as said you dont lose as much boost that way. Its harder on your car of course. I dont think it does more harm then good, and is how I drive.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
tissimo;1498851 said:
It definitely helps your times as said you dont lose as much boost that way. Its harder on your car of course. I dont think it does more harm then good, and is how I drive.

I've done it and do it....but I'd never risk it in someone elses car I'd pretty much what I'm trying to say.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
gaboonviper85;1498862 said:
I've done it and do it....but I'd never risk it in someone elses car I'd pretty much what I'm trying to say.

The ONLY time I'd do it is in someone ele's car.............:biglaugh:

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
It has been called power shifting for the last 50 some years, why all the new names for an old way to shave 2 tenths off your 1/4 time?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
with my rebuilt r-154 and v3 i can shift so fast boost doesn't fall off really at all. that is shifting and letting off the gas.

4th to 5th is the only one i still have trouble with. thats because its not to often i'm pulling hard past 4th. i don't like to go that fast on the hw. so not much practice with that one.

power shifting is not needed if you have a good shifter and syncros. IMO