Which V8 for the MKIII?

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
First off if this topic has been discussed to death just delete this thread. Won't bother me.

Secondly I have always disliked the idea of putting anything but the 7m, 1jz, or 2jz in our cars but I know plenty of people love the added displacement of a V8. My question is why do guys go for the Chevy or Ford V8s for higher displacement when Toyota(I am a bit of a manufacturer loyalist) offers V8s larger than the 1uz-fe. Has anyone tried using the 2uz-fe or any of the UR engines? The 3ur-fe gives you 5.7 liters of displacement with a Supercharger already developed by TRD.

Are these engines simply too expensive, rare, or just plain difficult to swap in?

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
The UR is expensive and huge. Not to mention that you would probably have to go stand alone as it has a fairly complex engine control system.

The UZ's are cheap but a dog with no aftermarket support.

I have never understood standing by a single manufacturer. Usually it is done for ease of portability and similar parts but with the toyota V8s you are just as well off installing any other engine.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The UZ is nice, and I like the DOHC, but for the money and effort, LSx is probably just the way to go.

Plenty of support to swap it into about anything, and plenty of power with massive aftermarket support. What it turbocharged? No problem. Supercharger? No problem. Big NA WHP? Okay. Engine management is similarly easy, and aftermarket parts and performance goodies are only as far away as your local performance shop anywhere in North America, so you should never need to wait for shipping, unless it's for specific swap parts, like motor mounts, bellhousings or the like.

All that said... You'll notice that I still have a 7M under the hood..

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Personally I'm just against sticking another manufacturer's engine in a car. It isn't just isolated to the MKIII Supra. There is a Firebird on youtube with a 2jz in it and I think that is ridiculous for some reason. Stay GM if its a Pontiac or Chevy. Stay Ford if its a Ford. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Are you asking us which V8 you should go with, or are you here to declare you're a manufacture purist? Are you even attempting to do a V8 swap into your MKIII? If you are, and being a purist that you are, then the answer is easy for you. 3ur-fe with TRD's supercharger kit. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
Wildfire007;1962972 said:
Personally I'm just against sticking another manufacturer's engine in a car. It isn't just isolated to the MKIII Supra. There is a Firebird on youtube with a 2jz in it and I think that is ridiculous for some reason. Stay GM if its a Pontiac or Chevy. Stay Ford if its a Ford. Just a pet peeve of mine.

That's retarded. Toyota never put a V8 in the MKIII, nor was it ever designed to have one, so why does it matter? You're expending just as much (if not more) time, money and energy to shoehorn in an engine that has far less power, and far less support just to say that you have a Toyota engine under the hood in a car that nobody cares about anymore.

Brand purism is fucking stupid.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
LunaVyohr;1962990 said:
That's retarded. Toyota never put a V8 in the MKIII, nor was it ever designed to have one, so why does it matter? You're expending just as much (if not more) time, money and energy to shoehorn in an engine that has far less power, and far less support just to say that you have a Toyota engine under the hood in a car that nobody cares about anymore.

Brand purism is fucking stupid.

That was a very mature and civil way to approach a peaceful discussion.

I have said multiple times that I don't plan to put a V8 in the car, and that it is a PET PEEVE of mine for people to put another manufacturer's engine in their cars. Its not just for MKIII supras. I don't like when people put the 1jz in a S13. That is my opinion. Not a correct or incorrect fact. An opinion.

This topic was for people to declare which V8 they would use and why. I was simply curious what makes someone buy a Toyota and then put a Chevy engine in it. Lack of aftermarket support or difficulty of swap seems to be the main reason, which is a pretty damn good reason to me.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I know a fair number of brand purists, and I can understand their point of view. I don't have to *agree* to understand.

IMO, you set goals for your automobile, then use the best tools available to get the job done. That includes the engine... if all you are concerned with is gobs of power and lots of aftermarket support at a very reasonable price, I can't see any reason to use anything other than the previously mentioned LSx.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jdmfreak;1963016 said:
If IJ shows up this thread is destined for the wall of shame:p
I'm here but it's not that retarded... yet ;)

I can understand people wanting to stay with the same manufacturer, I don't agree but people are entitled to their opinion.

Going from a 3 litre 6 to a 4 litre 8 just doesn't make sense to me when a 7 litre Chev is actually a better fit and has enormous aftermarket support and is so much cheaper..

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I understand the brand consistency, but at the cost, and particularly the cost/hp in aftermarket support, it's just being stubborn and mulish.

I'm reasonably sure that dollar for dollar, I can get as much or more power from my 7M as I could from an xUZ, and DEFINITELY within the budget that I'm going to spend on a 1990 model year car.

I could probably get more power from an LSx for what I spent on my 7M-GTE build in parts and stuff, if a normally aspirated V8 was what I wanted. It WOULD have more torque, and probably more top end power than my 7M will, to boot.

A quick check at Jegs, and a 450BHP LSx crate motor is about $7500. I'm sure that I could start with a junkyard motor and get there for half the price.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
All in bolted up to the R154 I am under $5k and it took me about a year of slow progress. I should be about 350 rwhp. Hopefully I can throw down some official results in the next month or so.

If you are looking for top end power this is not the way to go. If you want good road manners with great off idle torque this is where you want to be. My car is a completely different driver with this engine.

I am going to try and make it to LS fest with this thing.