Which V8 for the MKIII?

Brewhaha

Jul 12, 2010
Fort Lauderdale
MightyAl;1963095 said:
All in bolted up to the R154 I am under $5k and it took me about a year of slow progress. I should be about 350 rwhp. Hopefully I can throw down some official results in the next month or so.

If you are looking for top end power this is not the way to go. If you want good road manners with great off idle torque this is where you want to be. My car is a completely different driver with this engine.

I am going to try and make it to LS fest with this thing.

What LS motor did you go with and how difficult was the swap?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Speaking from experience... The 1UZ in the Supra is a great swap, the engines are cheap and there are many to choose from. It does have aftermarket support, but its slim and its very expensive. I have had my 1UZ Supra for over 30k miles now and its still a stock engine (internally). If you want to make big power with it, it will take a lot of effort and custom parts. In my opinion if your looking for a brand loyal, very reliable sound engine, that also playes the music of the car gods through a Supra cat back exhaust then look no furthur.

Now, that doesnt mean its the best swap, in my opinion the LS series engines is your best bang for your buck, you get a alloy engine that has more displacement and out of the box performance than a 1UZ. Like it has been said, the LS has way more room in the engine bay than the 1UZ does, that leaves you with many more options to plumb turbos, superchargers, compounds, etc... There is a guy (I have posted it before) who has a old iron block 350 with two thunderbird turbo coupe turbos, one on either side of the block!!!! With room like that its a wonder why these swaps are not more common! If I was to do a LS swap, I would build the heads so I could rev the thing out and put a single mid sized turbo on it, call it done... That would produce plenty of power for a street vehicle.

Chambers;1963144 said:
Speaking from experience... The 1UZ in the Supra is a great swap, the engines are cheap and there are many to choose from. It does have aftermarket support, but its slim and its very expensive. I have had my 1UZ Supra for over 30k miles now and its still a stock engine (internally). If you want to make big power with it, it will take a lot of effort and custom parts. In my opinion if your looking for a brand loyal, very reliable sound engine, that also playes the music of the car gods through a Supra cat back exhaust then look no furthur.

Now, that doesnt mean its the best swap, in my opinion the LS series engines is your best bang for your buck, you get a alloy engine that has more displacement and out of the box performance than a 1UZ. Like it has been said, the LS has way more room in the engine bay than the 1UZ does, that leaves you with many more options to plumb turbos, superchargers, compounds, etc... There is a guy (I have posted it before) who has a old iron block 350 with two thunderbird turbo coupe turbos, one on either side of the block!!!! With room like that its a wonder why these swaps are not more common! If I was to do a LS swap, I would build the heads so I could rev the thing out and put a single mid sized turbo on it, call it done... That would produce plenty of power for a street vehicle.

If I was to do a v8 swap it would probably be the 1uz as well. On account of you have information for the swaps.

I think it is weird to see a engine that doesn't belong personally. Brand loyalty or not. But I think it is cool at the same time.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Brewhaha;1963101 said:
What LS motor did you go with and how difficult was the swap?

All the info is right here:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?169656-L33-engine-in-a-92-supra

It is an L33 engine. 5.3L, aluminum block, 799 heads, 02+ Z06 cam, LS6 intake, 28.8lb injectors, all F-body accesories.

I would say the swap was the same difficulty as doing a 1uz except you can buy parts for it. I bought a swap harness for $500 and did a mail in tune for the ECU for $85. Stuff like that just made it easy. It took about 6 months to figure out exactly how to bolt the R154 to the motor but now there is a roadmap for everyone and the parts can be had for ~$500.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
MightyAl;1963149 said:
...did a mail in tune for the ECU for $85...

This is another big part that makes the LS swap so logical to me, no need for crazy complicated custom standalone ECU systems... (which is exactly the issue I had for a long time...) Just a postage stamp and a bit of cash, hahaha.

dude4253

the speed of slow
Oct 9, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
My go to would be an LSx platform, mainly because my shop has been on a kick with them. Even the iron 5.3 truck motor is not too shabby and everything LS bolts right to it.
For me swaps like the UZ would not be worth it due to price and small aftermarket support

Ls3 FD
PtDx9b1.jpg

Ls3 FD -> Big Turbo |
HPhEXOB.jpg

CbMMC4e.jpg

BMW M3
kaZGwNg.jpg