Where did the carbon fibre go?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/85/i08/8508notw2.html

I caught a couple of minutes of the news this morning before going to work. The new Boeing 787's structure is greatly made up of carbon fiber. One of the largest companies out there producing carbon fiber for public and military uses is sending the majority of it's products to Boeing for the constrution of the +200 787's scheduled to be produced in the near future :3d_frown:.

Duane, you got your carbon fiber business up and running again? :naughty:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I knew we had a shortage :nuts: just thought I'd like to show some people one of the major places it's going to ;).

Why do you think I named the thread the way I did?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
iwannadie said:
I thought it was really old news boeing was using it all up...

Not exactly, Boeing is just sucking one of the major companies dry of carbon fiber, there are other companies out there too that mass produce it, (named in the link provided). They may send some of their product boeings way too, but it also goes to military uses. The public is only getting a very small slice of the product though. It doesn't seem to be as hard to get a CF product now as it was several months ago. Maybe due to larger quanties being produced now :dunno:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I'm not sure exactly how it's made (haven't looked really) but they do turn out some impressive numbers already. I say open up a few more factories and that could help. Hell, the cost of making new factories *should* be gained back fairly quickly with how the damand is so high in this day and age...

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
yeah, but then prices go down. right now demand>supply = higher prices = more profit. supply > demand = lower prices = lower profit.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
In the Oven, Duh.

p674571_1.jpg

p674571_2.jpg

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
you don't NEED a vaccuum to get carbon to set, like for any interior parts or dress up parts you really don't need to have it in an autoclave. But if its structural, you bet your ass it better be in an autoclave!

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Ric said:
I've seen interior panels done without a vacuum, looked like wavey asshole. The person that did it was probably just stupid.

They probably were. Even with a vacuum you can still get wavey weave. its all in how you lay down the cloth and then apply the resin. if you adjust things after you've applied the resin you're pretty much fucked.