what killed your last motor thread

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
#6 rod bearing. Got a rod knock and drove it for 3 months till this happened. Drove 10 miles home knocking like crazy, but got me home. Thats paper thin literary
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1988 MKIII 7MGTE - Previous owner drove the crap out of it... replaced it with a JDM. Then proceeded to run that one without oil... replace it with the original motor after a rebuild (all this cost him over 7500.00) and the turbo also was rebuilt. I bought it.. engine has 17,000 km on it with leaky valve seals but leak tests and compression tests are fine.
1990 MKIII 7MGTE - Dont know what previous owner did to it.. but it had a huge hole in the top rad hose and leaks somewhere from the bottom as well. Not worried though because it has a BHG and is just sitting waiting for me to decide.. replace head gasket or pop in a JDM 7MGTE. (both come out about equal in cost, although I dont think I would drop a JDM engine in it without rebuilding it.. so.. there's my dilemna). Engine still runs mind you...

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
bluepearl;1634084 said:
Do you have any idea how long this combination was run?

Yep! One pull on the dyno! I didn't turn the boost up from stock until I got it on the dyno so I could watch everything. Then, when I we got to boost up to 15psi, I saw white smoke and I shut it down immediately. Then had it flat-bedded home.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
About 2400 miles on a MHG on my first supra....

My current supra: The previous owner handed me over a 7m with the head honed beyond function....somehow it got me home from South Carolina (about 800 miles). The machine shop said that it was honed way beyond specs and was amazed that the cranks/pistons functioned at all...I tried to push a suite against the shop (who should have told the previous owner to get a new head...)...but that went as far as I could throw the car...

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
BEARINGS@7-7.5 RPM: All Day Long

1st engine: Mobil-30W oil (3-months)
2nd engine: Mobil-40W oil (6-months)
3rd engine: Mobil performance 50W oil (2 years and still going)

After one year (3rd engine) inspected the bearings and all are in good conditioned then decided to go with Greddy (rod/pistons) with HKS 264 cams.