Edmonton AB
I've been working on this lately.
p2065215_1.jpg

Next up is the wiring harness.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Awesomeness! I may have to do that to mine. What kind of paint did you use? (in regards to the black valve covers, but the grey ones are cool too!).

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Ok, it all took more like 3 days, but here in one fatal swoop-

New Katzkin leather seat covers (and dark grey carpet with sound-proofing to replace that which was removed by previous owner):
Supra new front seats covers (Small).JPG
Supra new rear seat covers (Small).JPG

New stereo system (Kenwood deck), sub-woofer (10" Kenwood) and 6-channel amp (Rockwood Fosgate - picked for its size to fit right on the back of the seat). Note that my targa will not fit in the hatch; I will be modifying that hatch so that the sub-woofer can sit lower. I can flat out-thump or thump as well as any black SUV in the state! Rattles my teeth!!
Supra stereo in hatch (Small).JPG

Merry Christmas TO ME!

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
ZoomZoomZoom;2065289 said:
Awesomeness! I may have to do that to mine. What kind of paint did you use? (in regards to the black valve covers, but the grey ones are cool too!).

I used high temp engine enamel. Masked off the lettering, sprayed on a few coats. Then used acytone on a paper towel wrapped around a piece of flat plastic to lightly skim off any excess paint from the top.

Be VERY careful with the acytone, it will eat the finish on the powder coating (luckily mine are satin black so it is hardly noticeable) and the fumes alone will wrinkle the paint in the lettering. Go very slow, quickly wipe once and wait a minute (or you'll end up redoing 5 times like I did). Maybe try gun wash or wax and grease remover as they aren't as strong.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
Nothing too strenuous. I ordered and changed the worn out rubber stops on the hatchback. I finally had enough of that occasional rattle from somewhere "back there" over the last several years. Ordered from toyotaonlineparts.com--including four new screws it was $39 shipped. I read a lot about the difficulty many owners had getting the old stops off due to the factory loctite on the screws. I did what many recommended and cut away the old stops to get the screws out in the open. I tested and found the loctite holding firm so I carefully squirted a little PB Blaster on them and waited. Used a good #2 Phillips and a lot of pressure. Once each started to give, I used my drill with the clutch set about 30% and more pressure to ratchet the screws out. I only slightly deformed one screw head with this process--the first one, before I thought to use the drill. The new stops went on with no problems.

I brought the hatch down to make sure the upper stops seated properly and I noticed that each of them hit the lowers at a slight angle. I never noticed that before but I adjusted them so they were parallel with the hatch and they seated perfectly.

Hopefully they'll last another 27 years!

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
So I used to really like putting stickers on the car but I began to feel that it would look much more cleaner without them. However, stickers really help in making a car your own and I felt like I wanted to give this car more of my own personal touch.

That's when I got to thinking about license plate frames! You can sort of add a bit of flair with these things and I think they aren't as distracting as stickers on the body or windows! What I had to figure out was which license plate frame would I want the car to have?

I REALLY wanted one of the these:

p2065691_1.jpg

The problem is that HKS doesn't make these anymore and I haven't seen people selling the ones that they have recently. So I thought up of other automotive related companies that I liked. What I had issue with is that my car didn't have any of the parts that these companies made and I thought it wouldn't be right to have their names on the car if that was the case (I have at least an HKS turbo timer, which I've read is pretty useless for a street car anyway?)

So I thought of things that I liked or my hometown of San Diego. Nothing really came to mind or whatever that was out there was just something that I didn't think looked that great..

So I decided to make my own! I frequent the Speedhunters website and I also know that SH sells some pretty cool stickers. So I thought it would be neat to take some of the RC stickers that they sell, buy some blank plate frames, and sort of design something that I would really like!

2mz9wti.jpg

I like it because its simple, it's of a website that I enjoy logging onto, and that there's Japanese Katakana (and it's a Japanese car) which is always cool to me at least!

Last edited:

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
I like the idea Era, way slicker than stickers.
This car I'm working on was a purple one I got as a dd a few years ago, not the vmount car... I'll start a build thread after the holidays
p2065767_1.jpg

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Finally got around to replacing my speedometer with a unit that had a working trip meter and replace the voltmeter's needle with a non-faded one.

All done. Not bad. Damn near the original miles too.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
MarkIII4Me;2065791 said:
Finally got around to replacing my speedometer with a unit that had a working trip meter and replace the voltmeter's needle with a non-faded one.

All done. Not bad. Damn near the original miles too.

Hey, my trip meter started to not function properly at the end of the summer. Wouldn't roll over 99 miles and then 29, then 1/2 and now it's stopped. My ODO still works fine but i'd like to get my trip meter working again.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
akito;2065916 said:
Hey, my trip meter started to not function properly at the end of the summer. Wouldn't roll over 99 miles and then 29, then 1/2 and now it's stopped. My ODO still works fine but i'd like to get my trip meter working again.

Afraid to say there is no repair that I could find short of replacing the unit with a working one. Odometer and all.