www.facebook.com
Ordered this bad boy :)

8eqebyma.jpg

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Doat;1898109 said:
I hate all of you but love you at the same time, I am just jealous. Hopefully I will have a 500hp 1jzgte in my mk3.

Hey, at least yours is running right now!

Did pick up my head from the machine shop though. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Numba1Stuna;1898103 said:
Even better, where did you pick it up?

From a guy used on these forums. I have been searching and waiting for a deal on one for about 8 or so months now. Going to get my transmission back in my 89 and plug it in, and see if shell fire up.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Numba1Stuna;1898110 said:
Hey, at least yours is running right now!

Did pick up my head from the machine shop though. I'll post pics tomorrow.

That is true but there is still a very very small oil leak, I saw one drop of oil on the ground after I drove to my friend's place half an hour away.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
emericaskater285;1898114 said:
When do these cars not leak?
That is also true lol after driving there is an oil burning odor of sorts it just has that old engine smell not sure if it's normal or just still burning up the sprays I have used, some sprays were oil based and I also used a degreaser on some areas.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
p1898183_1.jpg

Put the pins in the block, put on Titan 1.4mm MHG.

p1898183_2.jpg

Install ARP head studs.

p1898183_3.jpg

Put cylinder head on block. (Almost forgot to put washers in the head before dropping it onto the studs. Yikes.)

Pro tip: assembly lubricant stored in an unheated garage at -20 degrees does not come out of the tube. I have not installed the nuts yet for this reason. I'm warming up the assembly lubricant now so that I can torque them down to 90 ft-lbs.

I figure that there will be some time where the block will "heat cycle" between -30 degrees or so and +15 a few times before I'm ready to shim the cams, so I'll re-torque them before I do that. It's not a "real" heat cycle, like operating temperature, though so I'll have to do it again after installing the motor.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Doat;1897812 said:
HAAHAH so they are really just there so you can support yourself and not so much the car
More or less, yeah. Believe it or not, these cars are fairly stiff (particularly the hardtops) if everything is in good shape. Especially compared to their 80's competition...

spoolme;1898071 said:
poured a gallon of Xylene in my tank mixed with 6 gas. gonna drive around and see what kinda effect it has on performance since i can only get shity 91oct fuel where i live.
Ewww... that stuff smells so bad. Try toluene sometime too. Maybe not at the same time as the xylene, but as another potential fuel. Buddy of mine showed me a chart he had sitting around the shop that showed what ratio would give what octane rating, was pretty good stuff.

Doat;1898109 said:
I hate all of you but love you at the same time, I am just jealous. Hopefully I will have a 500hp 1jzgte in my mk3.
No need to hate man, a lot of us have been gathering parts or working on these things a LONG time. I have a couple of the bigger bits on order now. Once the driveshaft, hood, wheels/tires, intercooler, sub, and a few other miscellaneous bits are gathered, my "parts room" is going to be quite crowded. Not to mention look badass, and have nearly everything needed to build a fast Supra sitting inside of it. :p

All that said, I've been gathering parts for over 3 years now for my vision... Would have been done a long time ago had I not decided to do the widebody thing...

emericaskater285;1898114 said:
When do these cars not leak?
When you've gone through the entire engine bay and drivetrain, sealed everything up properly? The only leak I have on my car is the power steering, and that will be fixed eventually as well. :)

Dan_Gyoba;1898183 said:
Pro tip: assembly lubricant stored in an unheated garage at -20 degrees does not come out of the tube. I have not installed the nuts yet for this reason. I'm warming up the assembly lubricant now so that I can torque them down to 90 ft-lbs.
There's a joke here about how lube and nuts don't work well in cold temperatures, I just know it... Hell, at -20°, you're fast approaching "spit goes clink" levels of cold.

converting_to_metric.png

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Yeah, well, -20 to -30 are temperatures that are just going to happen around here for the next 3-4 months, so according to that XKCD conversion factor, we're going to be swearing a lot. (Though the only time that I can actually remember swearing that much was when I woke up and they said something about it going below -53C overnight. I remember that the tires were all nearly flat on the van.)

It turns out that I won't be torquing down those nuts today, since the 12point socket that I bought won't fit in the provisions in the head. I know I had one that does fit, but I think that it was in the toobox that got stolen. :( i've got to go find another one.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
that's why you are supposed to build your motor in the living room. watch tv, assemble your motor, enjoy a tasty beverage, all while nice and warm in your pajamas.

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
Enraged;1898292 said:
that's why you are supposed to build your motor in the living room. watch tv, assemble your motor, enjoy a tasty beverage, all while nice and warm in your pajamas.

I like the way you think. I also think you're single

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
LOL. Yeah, that'd go over like a lead balloon with my wife. I already caught hell for my "stuff taking over the room" today because my Kendo gear was on the floor. I can only imagine what she'd say about an engine stand in here... There's also the question of how I'd get it out of the house and down the stairs. I'm not fond of the idea of carrying it without a hoist. I managed the bare block into the trunk of my car, and out again, but with everything in it, it's not exactly easy, even for two people.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Tried to install BeechPerformance steering rack spacers and stripped the inner tie rod while torqueing...I should have realized that with less thread engagement the load on each thread would be higher than normal. Lesson Learned

p1898524_1.jpg

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Installed lower control arms with all new cam bolts and washer, new poly bushings, and new lower ball joint. Also installed knuckle with new bearings and oil seals installed.

p1898527_1.jpg